Computers & Electronics

Is this enough to wipe an ssd n.vme hard drive?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 12:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4198 posts
1298 upvotes

Is this enough to wipe an ssd n.vme hard drive?

In windows 10:

Reset this PC
Remove everything
Remove files and clean the drive (It says it will make it harder for someone to recover your removed files. Use this if you're recycling the PC.)

I thought you can't "wipe" ssd n.vme drives?
21 replies
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 1:37 pm
In windows 10:

Reset this PC
Remove everything
Remove files and clean the drive (It says it will make it harder for someone to recover your removed files. Use this if you're recycling the PC.)

What do you mean you can't wipe? If you mean it can't get reformated, well it can. Anything can be recover if you want to pay the price for it, unless its in pieces.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4198 posts
1298 upvotes
Is doing the above sufficient for regular users?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1606 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote:
In windows 10:

Reset this PC
Remove everything

I've never done this myself but I'm just wondering what you mean by "clean the drive".

I read that the best way to "clean" a drive is to fill the drive up with other files. So, if the drive is 500 GB then fill up the drive with 500 GB of movies. This way, the drive will forget all of your personal files. Now, if somebody tries to recover anything from the drive they will only see those movies.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8459 posts
671 upvotes
format does not clean the drive completely. what you want to do is somehow delete the partition and create a new one.
you can do this through a windows setup, since you cannot do it on the primary drive when windows is installed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24032 posts
9548 upvotes
$n00ker wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 1:51 pm
Anything can be recover if you want to pay the price for it, unless its in pieces.
Secure erase is apparently unrecoverable.
Or if it is, that'd be like 3 letter agency level money.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 2:51 pm

Or if it is, that'd be like 3 letter agency level money.
Exactly.... " Formatting" I can do it in dos command but I'm old and too lazy nowadays so I just use a Canadian third party software KillDisk they have a free version and pay. I got the paid one simply because I can set it up for whatever passes I like usually I go with the US DoD style 7 passes do it when I'm sleeping and wake up to a nice clean drive.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
ds2chan wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 2:10 pm
I read that the best way to "clean" a drive is to fill the drive up with other files. So, if the drive is 500 GB then fill up the drive with 500 GB of movies. This way, the drive will forget all of your personal files. Now, if somebody tries to recover anything from the drive they will only see those movies.
Any drive can be recover if you want to pay the price and it doesn't matter how many times you rewrite the drive. The only way a drive can't be recovered is if you smash it into pieces or drill holes through it
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1417 posts
592 upvotes
Calgary
$n00ker wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 3:14 pm
Exactly.... " Formatting" I can do it in dos command but I'm old and too lazy nowadays so I just use a Canadian third party software KillDisk they have a free version and pay. I got the paid one simply because I can set it up for whatever passes I like usually I go with the US DoD style 7 passes do it when I'm sleeping and wake up to a nice clean drive.
That's great for hard drives, but not so much for SSDs which have limited write cycles.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 3:55 pm
That's great for hard drives, but not so much for SSDs which have limited write cycles.
This is true it's another reason why I like the old stuff over speed, just handle with care and hope for the best
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
In windows 10:

Reset this PC
Remove everything

Do you have a system were the drive ( Chip ) is embedded into the motherboard like a laptop? Those I believe can't get formatted but rather factory reset or the method you mention above
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2063 posts
1538 upvotes
Montreal
$n00ker wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 3:35 pm
Any drive can be recover if you want to pay the price and it doesn't matter how many times you rewrite the drive.
For a modern drive (last 15 years+), there is no known case of anything being recovered after even a single full overwrite. Not by a company, not by the NSA.

If it's just been reformatted? Sure. But not if it's been overwritten.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 2:15 am
For a modern drive (last 15 years+), there is no known case of anything being recovered after even a single full overwrite. Not by a company, not by the NSA.

One or 2 overwrite from what Peter Gutmann is saying it may be recovered
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4198 posts
1298 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 2:15 am

Source?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2063 posts
1538 upvotes
Montreal
vivibaby wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 3:27 pm
Source?
Sorry, you have this reversed: it's the person claiming that data has been recovered that needs to provide a source.

The original idea applied to hard drives decades ago.

Is there a single company out there claiming they can recover overwritten data? A single news article stating that it's been done? A single court case where recovered data has been submitted? A single police department saying they've managed it? A single anonymous source saying it's been done in a terrorism investigation? A single published paper saying that this is theoretically possible using modern hard drives?

Anything at all?

https://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwrit ... tmann.html

Wipe once. You're safe.
(Note that SSDs are different because you can't guarantee any specific sector is overwritten. But that's a different issue)