Travel

Enquiry on shared accommodation in Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 10:37 am
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts

Enquiry on shared accommodation in Vancouver

My colleague and I were selected for an apprenticeship in Vancouver for about three months in the coming year, which could be anytime, and we were to find a place in advance as the company did not provide it. So we searched for shared accommodation and came across plenty, but we don't really know if it’s really that affordable as it says with its services and amenities it offers. Could anybody help us with this?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1211 posts
1580 upvotes
West
Even at the cheapest hostel UBC has (I'm not even sure if you get a kitchen), they charge $49/night, that would equate to ~$1500 per month for essentially a dorm room. Not sure if sharing washrooms with others that are likely travelling is a great idea right now as well. You may wish to ask what the current setup is, as they've indicated it's moved to Gage Towers, which IIRC, has mostly clusters of shared rooms with a common kitchen, which may be more convenient... though knowing UBC, they'll probably charge you the Gage price.

Why not look for a sublet on craigslist? Many people are trying to sublet their places right now due to classes being online, and will likely chomp to lock someone in for three months. You'll likely end up with a nicer place, and many more amenities for cheaper.

Where are you going to be working? On campus at UBC? If not, while UBC is very accessible for transit, it is a little out of the way of most things in the GVA.

Will you have a vehicle? Looks like they charge $16/day for parking. Not much option around there unless you park off campus, but that is pretty much out of daily walking range.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8365 posts
1251 upvotes
Vancouver
If it’s only 3 months people are going to demand a premium. I have friends looking in the $1000-$1300 range downtown for long term and it’s not easy despite thinking that covid will cool demand.

The samesun hostel on granville has $200 weekly rates for a 4 person dorm but only 2 people allowed. For such a short stay this is probably wise.

Ubc is a bit annoying to get to and if you live there not much around will need to go into grey point for anything

Wreck beach is nice but sounds like you’ll be there in winter

Edit there is ubc main campus and a campus downtown too
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9054 posts
10490 upvotes
Vancouver
Phonophoresis wrote: Why not look for a sublet on craigslist? Many people are trying to sublet their places right now due to classes being online, and will likely chomp to lock someone in for three months. You'll likely end up with a nicer place, and many more amenities for cheaper.
We live in Vancouver and had to move out of our building a month ago for emergency repairs until December. Nobody would rent to us for 3 months. "One year lease. One year lease. One year lease." We spent nearly 2 weeks at the Marriott until our insurance company finally found us a place through livinlocal. Minimum 1 month stay. We don't know what the insurance is paying but I'm sure it's north of $8k/month.

So good luck. "Just 3 months" and "affordable" aren't something you find together in this city.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1211 posts
1580 upvotes
West
Kiraly wrote: We live in Vancouver and had to move out of our building a month ago for emergency repairs until December. Nobody would rent to us for 3 months. "One year lease. One year lease. One year lease." We spent nearly 2 weeks at the Marriott until our insurance company finally found us a place through livinlocal. Minimum 1 month stay. We don't know what the insurance is paying but I'm sure it's north of $8k/month.

So good luck. "Just 3 months" and "affordable" aren't something you find together in this city.
Short-term rentals are always a challenge wherever you go, but there is plenty of availability at the moment with COVID killing the student rental market.

Just browsing on Facebook, there are plenty (estimating 10-15+) of posts for sublets/rentals that advertise 3/4-month or "short-term" in the last 2-3 days alone. Especially with the OP only looking for 1-2 people, and being okay with shared accommodation, it should be totally do-able to find something reasonable. Granted, I don't know how fast these things are going, but there seems to be a steady stream of postings.

Biggest determinants will be time of year, location preference, living arrangement preference, standards, transportation options etc., all of which is unknown.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7481 posts
3585 upvotes
Maybe approach someone advertising something for longer and see if they would rent it to you for shorter. Perhaps you want to offer them some incentive for doing so. The rental market appears to be opening up but rents are still crazy high in Vancouver. I couldn't afford to rent the kind of place I would want to live in comfortably.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8365 posts
1251 upvotes
Vancouver
As someone who moved from a rental in Toronto to a rental in Vancouver this city is full of rookie landlords and no formal system for rentals. In Toronto real estate agents will. Help you find a place here they won’t.

Open houses and discrimination is the name of the game here. My rent is paid by my company and it wasn’t easy. I live in a nice place but it is difficult. Someone needs to slam a few good human rights cases or something here as there is discrimination (and again I’m a highly qualified tenant. I own property, great references from past landlords, letters from employers, high income but the nature of my job means I need to relocate every few years )

I’d say stick to hostels or airbnb. It’s really rookie craigslist action Out here
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
GangStarr wrote: As someone who moved from a rental in Toronto to a rental in Vancouver this city is full of rookie landlords and no formal system for rentals. In Toronto real estate agents will. Help you find a place here they won’t.

Open houses and discrimination is the name of the game here. My rent is paid by my company and it wasn’t easy. I live in a nice place but it is difficult. Someone needs to slam a few good human rights cases or something here as there is discrimination (and again I’m a highly qualified tenant. I own property, great references from past landlords, letters from employers, high income but the nature of my job means I need to relocate every few years )

I’d say stick to hostels or airbnb. It’s really rookie craigslist action Out here
If you can't go there you have to careful of scams like ppl posting stolen pictures and then asking for EFT deposits to hold the rental. Airbnb has the safety of them making sure you don't get ripped off that way. If you find an airbnb, you can also try and negotiate a 3 month rental for a lower price especially as tourism is way down.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
Phonophoresis wrote: Even at the cheapest hostel UBC has (I'm not even sure if you get a kitchen), they charge $49/night, that would equate to ~$1500 per month for essentially a dorm room. Not sure if sharing washrooms with others that are likely travelling is a great idea right now as well. You may wish to ask what the current setup is, as they've indicated it's moved to Gage Towers, which IIRC, has mostly clusters of shared rooms with a common kitchen, which may be more convenient... though knowing UBC, they'll probably charge you the Gage price.

Why not look for a sublet on craigslist? Many people are trying to sublet their places right now due to classes being online, and will likely chomp to lock someone in for three months. You'll likely end up with a nicer place, and many more amenities for cheaper.

Where are you going to be working? On campus at UBC? If not, while UBC is very accessible for transit, it is a little out of the way of most things in the GVA.

Will you have a vehicle? Looks like they charge $16/day for parking. Not much option around there unless you park off campus, but that is pretty much out of daily walking range.

That is very much helpful information...As the whole information about where we will be working...like the place hasn't been specified yet as to we are waiting for their conformation. We both will enquire on the same soon when they reach out to us anytime in the following month. Thank you.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
GangStarr wrote: If it’s only 3 months people are going to demand a premium. I have friends looking in the $1000-$1300 range downtown for long term and it’s not easy despite thinking that covid will cool demand.

The samesun hostel on granville has $200 weekly rates for a 4 person dorm but only 2 people allowed. For such a short stay this is probably wise.

Ubc is a bit annoying to get to and if you live there not much around will need to go into grey point for anything

Wreck beach is nice but sounds like you’ll be there in winter

Edit there is ubc main campus and a campus downtown too

Yes it is interesting. Thank you for the suggestion. We will wait for further information to be received by the company and go through all of your valuable suggestions before making a decision,
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
Kiraly wrote: We live in Vancouver and had to move out of our building a month ago for emergency repairs until December. Nobody would rent to us for 3 months. "One year lease. One year lease. One year lease." We spent nearly 2 weeks at the Marriott until our insurance company finally found us a place through livinlocal. Minimum 1 month stay. We don't know what the insurance is paying but I'm sure it's north of $8k/month.

Thank you. If it is really not that easy, both of us will see to it and make changes to our plan on the further info waiting from the company.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
Phonophoresis wrote: Short-term rentals are always a challenge wherever you go, but there is plenty of availability at the moment with COVID killing the student rental market.

Just browsing on Facebook, there are plenty (estimating 10-15+) of posts for sublets/rentals that advertise 3/4-month or "short-term" in the last 2-3 days alone. Especially with the OP only looking for 1-2 people, and being okay with shared accommodation, it should be totally do-able to find something reasonable. Granted, I don't know how fast these things are going, but there seems to be a steady stream of postings.

Biggest determinants will be time of year, location preference, living arrangement preference, standards, transportation options etc., all of which is unknown.
Thank you for the suggestion. Will search for it.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
choclover wrote: Maybe approach someone advertising something for longer and see if they would rent it to you for shorter. Perhaps you want to offer them some incentive for doing so. The rental market appears to be opening up but rents are still crazy high in Vancouver. I couldn't afford to rent the kind of place I would want to live in comfortably.
It is just temporary till the 3-month term, but thank you for the suggestion.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
10 posts
GangStarr wrote: As someone who moved from a rental in Toronto to a rental in Vancouver this city is full of rookie landlords and no formal system for rentals. In Toronto real estate agents will. Help you find a place here they won’t.

Thank you for the suggestion. Could you also help me with some of the good real estate agents if any, just enquiring would help both of us to have a clarity.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Most landlords handle their own rentals. R/E agents generally only used by those who are absentee or out of country.

If you give us your line of work, we might be better able to give you an idea of where you might be working.

Craigslist is or used to be the go-to for rental ads.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.