15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON

Entry Level Computer Engineering Salary

Hey,

I am looking for some advise.

I have :
1) Bachelor of Engineering in Computer engineering
2) Advance Diploma Computer Engineering Technology (3 year program)
3) Worked full time for 4 months (2014) and part-time for the last 6 months on a research project where I designed embedded system from scratch by my self. I am still working part-time on the same job.
4) I also worked in a company for 4 month summer job doing PCB design and embedded C. Writing driver code.

I had an interview today for hardware design engineering(FPGAs) and I was asked how much I expect to make, I told the HR representative around $70,000. After the interview ended she advised me that if I get picked for a second round of interviews I should say something lower.

Could someone advise me in the field what I should expect to make?

Also if anyone works in the current industry could you please let me know.

Thanks
85 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16730 posts
2408 upvotes
comEng wrote: I had an interview today for hardware design engineering(FPGAs) and I was asked how much I expect to make, I told the HR representative around $70,000. After the interview ended she advised me that if I get picked for a second round of interviews I should say something lower.

Probably around 55 - 60K, maybe less since you're a technologist and not an engineer.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I think you are miss understanding.

I hold a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Guelph and I hold a computer engineering technology advance diploma
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4323 posts
671 upvotes
Computer Science with little to no experience is 40-50k, most ads that i see for CS also say they would accept you with engineering. Usually takes ~3 years to get to 70k in CS.
My point is, even if you claim that Computer Engineering should be higher, i doubt it's 20-30k higher. If you want to take her advice, ask for something like 60k and hope for the best.
Nov 12, 2010
280 posts
64 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
comEng wrote: Hey,

I am looking for some advise. I am new gradate from Computer Engineering and I am trying to figure out how much I should be working for.
I also have a 3 year advance diploma in computer engineering technology and I've been working on a research project with my University for almost a year now for which I was the mean leader for design and building of the current system. I also had summer jobs before I got this job.

I had an interview today for hardware design engineering(FPGAs) and I was asked how much I expect to make, I told the HR representative around $70,000. After the interview ended she advised me that if I get picked for a second round of interviews I should say something lower.

Thanks
I would say it is a little bit too high considering you possess little job experience. Low $60,000 would be a great salary range to start. Well, if your skills fit the job description perfectly and the employer likes you, then you could say $70,000 is the salary you desire.

OP, in a few hours or days, the Warlords of RFD (new-university-grad-salary-negotiation- ... st21389545) will come here and start telling you the stories that do not make sense, such as aiming highly-unrealistic salary. Try not to listen to them because some of them are high on acid (Please refer to the provided link for detail).

[IMG]http://strategy-game-guides.com/wp-cont ... ematic.png[/IMG]

From left to right: Ironbrah, DrXenon, Anonymouse, Euphoric and unknown

Note: The Warlords of RFD are a group of engineers living on RFD who resent the society because they consider themselves underpaid. For that, they formed a Warlords of RFD and recruit many "disillusioned" engineers just to whine on RFD. The current leader is Warchief Anonymouse, who is the apprentice of Professor Mark77 (Please see my signature below).
Software Engineer
[OP]
Feb 16, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON
flafson wrote: Computer Science with little to no experience is 40-50k, most ads that i see for CS also say they would accept you with engineering. Usually takes ~3 years to get to 70k in CS.
My point is, even if you claim that Computer Engineering should be higher, i doubt it's 20-30k higher. If you want to take her advice, ask for something like 60k and hope for the best.
How low should I go? From other friends who have worked with the company I have heard they pay very little and expect you to work non-stop
[OP]
Feb 16, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Hi,

My original job posting did not properly describe what I have under my belt. I rephrased it above. Also just wondering if you're currently in a similar field?
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12105 posts
3317 upvotes
60k if HR is telling OP this. Com and EE is not hot like it used to be. So don't expect to get high because you have research experience. If you don't want the job, someone else will be happy to take the job. Especially TFWs.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON
spike1128 wrote: 60k if HR is telling OP this. Com and EE is not hot like it used to be. So don't expect to get high because you have research experience. If you don't want the job, someone else will be happy to take the job. Especially TFWs.
Hi,

Thanks for the advise, it's not that I don't want the job I do. It's just that I expect more around the range I asked for, and I was little worried since I hard the company usually pays very little. So I am not sure. Does anyone know what software engineers make?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2003
1300 posts
139 upvotes
flafson wrote: Computer Science with little to no experience is 40-50k, most ads that i see for CS also say they would accept you with engineering. Usually takes ~3 years to get to 70k in CS.
Typo? You stated that on average an income in CS usually goes from 40k to 70k in just 3 years. That's almost a 20% raise each year.
Software companies I may understand their raises might be a little higher than average, but I think most companies are giving around inflation - 2-3% each year in any. Some of us aren't even getting any increases, it's a tight economy.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4323 posts
671 upvotes
drey wrote: Typo? You stated that on average an income in CS usually goes from 40k to 70k in just 3 years. That's almost a 20% raise each year.
Software companies I may understand their raises might be a little higher than average, but I think most companies are giving around inflation - 2-3% each year in any. Some of us aren't even getting any increases, it's a tight economy.
If you stay in the same place and same job for 3 years, it's hard to expect to go from 40k to 70k. However, if you get to 3 years and you then shop around, you should be able to find 70k without too much hassle.

OP, as a first job, you shouldn't care about salary at all, all you should care about is the experience and space to learn and grow. Once you get 6-12 month experience you will be in a much better position to switch jobs if you choose to.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5408 posts
1657 upvotes
Toronto
First job is the most important that's for sure so don't let salary be a big factor if it's at least reasonable.

Having said that, did you ask your friends in that company what their starting salary was? Does the company has any salary info on Glassdoor?
And is that an "engineering" level job or just a technologist? Big difference in salary if it's a big company that have levels of salary structure.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16730 posts
2408 upvotes
comEng wrote: I think you are miss understanding.

I hold a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Guelph and I hold a computer engineering technology advance diploma
Ah, re-read your post, considering your degrees and experience, I think 65K - 70K is reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge
50-60k is more realistic.
Jan 24, 2007
335 posts
22 upvotes
You have very little work experience. Most Waterloo grads end up with almost 2 years work experience by the time they are finished school.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge
^ I agree. The lack of work experience will hurt. And no one will care about your CS diploma if you have your degree.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph, ON
boyohboy wrote: First job is the most important that's for sure so don't let salary be a big factor if it's at least reasonable.

Having said that, did you ask your friends in that company what their starting salary was? Does the company has any salary info on Glassdoor?
And is that an "engineering" level job or just a technologist? Big difference in salary if it's a big company that have levels of salary structure.
Hi boyohboy,

Yes, I asked a friend he said the company usually pays very low for new graduates around 45k - 55k max. The job I am applying for is an Engineering job that requires a Bachelor of Engineering.
Glass door has the job rated at 72,000.

The HR also asked me how much I used to work for but I told her that I didn't want to say.

The company on a whole has really bad review and I know two people that worked there and they both hated it, but they worked in a different department that I am applying for. But the company does some amazing work, and it is some cutting edge stuff too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5408 posts
1657 upvotes
Toronto
Glasssdoor has 72k for that pos for the same company?

Sounds like ur friends are more referring to new grad who are tech whilst 72k is the eng level pos.

What's the range on glass door? Aim for the lower end of that range. Probably 60k...

For my first real job, I basically answered 'glassdoor average is 72k, so.. yeah that's me expectation.' YMMV obviously.
Jun 15, 2009
744 posts
200 upvotes
comEng wrote: Hi,

Thanks for the advise, it's not that I don't want the job I do. It's just that I expect more around the range I asked for, and I was little worried since I hard the company usually pays very little. So I am not sure. Does anyone know what software engineers make?
You need to manage your expectation better. Average starting salary for a Computer/Software Engineer new grad doing programming is $50k. If you go the hardware route there are slightly fewer candidates so you can ask for a tiny bit more, probably average of $55k (50k-60k range as someone already said here). Your past experience will not boost your salary by much because those were summer jobs. What it will do is get you hired over another new grad without that same experience.

$70k is insanely high for a new grad. I would expect that once you reach intermediate level (3-5 years relevant experience).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)