• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 11:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
541 posts
290 upvotes

Entry level road bike

Hi,

Looking for an entry level road bike for a beginner. I won't be doing any 100km rides (yet, though have plans to do an iron man at some point so would like that taken into consideration) but I will be using it for commutes of about 5-7k, 3x a day. So I'd be doing about 15-20Km on it daily. I currently use the bikeshare bikes which are pretty monstrous cruiser bikes and don't enjoy it much as its not ideal for distances of that length, imo. I'm looking to spend up to 1K but prefer to spend closer to $500. If the difference is huge and longevity difference is significant I'll opt for the more expensive range. I do my commutes downtown toronto if that makes any difference (so some cracks in the road, etc) but the bike will always be stored inside and I'll still use the bikeshare bikes when I need the convenience of leaving the bike outside.

Is it worth it to find one on KJJ? are used roadbikes still good or is there too many factors that I'd need to be privvy to before buying (and my inexperience would not be able to assess it properly). Are there ideal times to buy a road bike? In the winter I guess?

Other info:

5'6-5'7, 145lbs
Carry a ~15lbs backpack with me on my commute.

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41946 posts
5527 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
curlyface wrote: Hi,

Looking for an entry level road bike for a beginner. I won't be doing any 100km rides (yet, though have plans to do an iron man at some point so would like that taken into consideration) but I will be using it for commutes of about 5-7k, 3x a day. So I'd be doing about 15-20Km on it daily. I currently use the bikeshare bikes which are pretty monstrous cruiser bikes and don't enjoy it much as its not ideal for distances of that length, imo. I'm looking to spend up to 1K but prefer to spend closer to $500. If the difference is huge and longevity difference is significant I'll opt for the more expensive range. I do my commutes downtown toronto if that makes any difference (so some cracks in the road, etc) but the bike will always be stored inside and I'll still use the bikeshare bikes when I need the convenience of leaving the bike outside.

Is it worth it to find one on KJJ? are used roadbikes still good or is there too many factors that I'd need to be privvy to before buying (and my inexperience would not be able to assess it properly). Are there ideal times to buy a road bike? In the winter I guess?

Other info:

5'6-5'7, 145lbs
Carry a ~15lbs backpack with me on my commute.

Thanks!
I'm a bit biased. I love old steel road bikes. Especially Bianchi. I owned so many of them and they ride very smooth...
I once had a $600 Gardin hand made in Canada back in the 80's with all campagnolo parts. Okie i secretly paid $200 for it from an old lady who didn't know better. Hey you put it out on the yard with a price tag ,I'll take it!
Ended up flipping it for $600.
Also Colnago, but very hard to find.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12953 posts
4040 upvotes
Ottawa
There are both bargains and scary used bikes on kijiji that I've seen, so it's still debatable whether it's the best route to go.

A regular flat handlebar hybrid is suitable for your use, but if you're going to do any iron man, you might as well get used to a real road bike sooner than later. I used to commute all the time on a road bike and it was very enjoyable if the roads aren't too rutted.

I would have suggested the Costco bike but it would be a bit big likely. You would fit likely fit on a 52cm frame if you are average proportions (because I'm 5 7" and that's the bike size I tend to ride). In a new bike, $1000 is basically considered an entry level road bike if new
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Apr 15, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
toronto
Hey! I recently also considered the entry level new road bike category so here is what I came out of it with. My priorities were to minimize cost (didn't want to lose out a ton if the bike was stolen), minimize weight (to possibly carry it up to the apartment), and maximize quality of components (and so some reading into the Shimano hierarchy is probably key). The options were:
1. 2017 Jamis Ventura Sport -- link here - $535 + tax
+ entry level road bike
- resale value likely low
- Claris components
+ Carbon fork
- heavier at a listed weight of 23.25 lbs

2. 2016 Jamis Ventura Comp -- link here - $755 + tax
+ one line up from the sport
+ Sora components
+ Carbon fork
- iffy resale value
~21 lbs weight
* note for both these Jamis bikes, call ahead to make sure they have your size built. It seems like they have a huge warehouse with a ton of bikes in boxes, but may require a $100 deposit to build your bike

3. 2018 Giant Contend 3 -- link here - listed at $849+ tax but contact r1lee if you are interested
+ better name brand
- aluminum fork in this lowest tier (i thought there was a ton of road vibration that was transmitted up and was just not impressed with the ride quality)
- Claris components (but this is the newest claris groupset)
- they dont list a weight but subjectively this felt among the heaviest to me

4. 2017 Specialized Allez E5 -- link here - end of season was listed at $749+tax
+ recognized name brand and probably better resale value
+ Carbon fork
- Claris components
+ felt light
+ ride quality was very strong

5. 2017 Orbea Avant H50 -- link here - was available at sportchek for $700 all in (with the friends and family discounts, etc) but I can't find the link on their site... I think they sold out
+ Carbon fork
+ sora components
+ ride quality was on the higher end
+ internal cable routing
- felt slightly heavier than Specialized
~ questionable resale value

Long story short, it came down to the Specialized or Orbea for me, but the lower cost with higher level componentry, and excellent ride quality meant I went for the Orbea. I have no regrets so far though have had some issues with the chain rubbing against the front derailleur, and tried to make some adjustments myself, but may take it back in for a tune up (they are almost always included when you buy new!)

I'm bigger than you so needed a larger frame, but I would definitely suggest checking out bike shops for last years models (if they fit) for some deals. Also, the costco northrock bike, if it fits, is a good deal and also has Sora components.

Hope you get out on the bike soon, safe riding!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5440 posts
1385 upvotes
Thornhill
Get an electric bike. New ones are around $1500. Perhaps less for a used one. While above your budget, it sure much easier and you won't be arriving to work sweaty and exhausted