Home & Garden

EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring ($8.50 to $8.99 per month)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2016 10:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
719 upvotes

EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring ($8.50 to $8.99 per month)

Is anyone using the EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring through the EnvisaLink module ? If so, please share your experience.

By the way, I wonder what are differences/advantages of using it over using the free self-serve EnvisaLink module alone (other than someone from monitoring centre calls you instead of a text message) ?

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=246

Note:
I am currently using TMC ($9.99/month) on top of the self monitoring EnvisaLink module (FREE :) ). I really want to get rid of the home landline (solely because of the alarm system). So, I am thinking to switch to GSM, but then there will be a $200+HST hardware cost up front and additional $10/month. TMC also offers wireless monitoring service. It is basically a alarm system wirelessly linked to the monitoring centre through internet and they charge $8/month additional (plus the cost of a complete new wireless system). I guess it would be similar concept as this EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
I wonder how Envisa handles line cut.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6868 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: I wonder how Envisa handles line cut.
It notifies you that the Envisalink cannot be reached.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: It notifies you that the Envisalink cannot be reached.
Which could mean many things - I think I'll stick with GSM.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
719 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Which could mean many things - I think I'll stick with GSM.
That's true. But if those really wants to target and break in a particular house, there is nothing can stop them. Also, when the alarm is triggered, the alarm company usually calls everyone in the order on the contact list (unless you instructed them to always call police directly which they don't usually suggest). Anyway, by the time, the police actually sends someone to respond to these alarm calls, I am sure the thieves are long gone. Most of time, these alarm system/device/sign are there to scare away the attempt or detour them to other houses with these.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
The 'internet' adds a significant amount of complexity between your alarm panel and the monitoring company. The issues are usually loss of internet service, modem failures, improper router setup by consumers, fooling around with a router by consumer, or just plain old consumer grade router hardware failing. Everyone has had at least 2 of those issues.

The cellular communicator is not affected by a cut line. It relies on a Rogers cellular network. It's in a fixed position so presumably transception will not be an issue past initial setup. It does not have to be 'wired' to where your router is located. It costs more.

Just about all the alarms we are setting up now use cellular communicators.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rdx wrote: Is anyone using the EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring through the EnvisaLink module ? If so, please share your experience.

By the way, I wonder what are differences/advantages of using it over using the free self-serve EnvisaLink module alone (other than someone from monitoring centre calls you instead of a text message) ?

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=246

Note:
I am currently using TMC ($9.99/month) on top of the self monitoring EnvisaLink module (FREE :) ). I really want to get rid of the home landline (solely because of the alarm system). So, I am thinking to switch to GSM, but then there will be a $200+HST hardware cost up front and additional $10/month. TMC also offers wireless monitoring service. It is basically a alarm system wirelessly linked to the monitoring centre through internet and they charge $8/month additional (plus the cost of a complete new wireless system). I guess it would be similar concept as this EnvisAlarms IP Monitoring.
My brother has the envisalink module and does self monitoring. Also gets a discount from insurance company, which isn't a big deal compared to full-service monitoring vs. self-service monitoring. Nehoo, he hasn't had any problems, aslong as your internet is stable.

If you pay for a company to monitor, it's kinda a waste of money. Since if they send the police to your place you'll pay a hefty fee so majority of people just go back home and check on it themselves. Or you can always send a family member if it rings. Or hook up a wireless remote camera so you can take a look at whats' going on in your house if the alarm does ring.