• Nov 7th, 2012 12:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton

EPA finds inflated gas mileage on Kia and Hyundai cars

Finally truth is out and wonder if other manufacturers will be tested as well. I know somebody that bought 2012 Elantra and nothing bot complains about fuel economy. In fact he is saying that his Elantra is as bad as his 2010 Accord.

Here is the article:

http://www.cp24.com/world/epa-finds-inf ... -1.1021410
63 replies
Dec 19, 2011
528 posts
152 upvotes
Trading in a 2010 Accord for a 2012 Hyundai is definitely not an upgrade. :facepalm:

It comes as no surprise to me that Kia would inflate the numbers. More work is certainly needed to protect the consumer from marketing 'mistakes' such as these.

Thanks for sharing!
Sep 13, 2012
44 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
Quoting from the article: "The companies will find out how many miles the cars have been driven, find the mileage difference and calculate how much more fuel the customer used based on average regional fuel prices and combined city-highway mileage. Customers also would get a 15 per cent premium for the inconvenience, and the payments would be made with debit cards"

I am curious...would Hyundai/Kia owners be satisfied with the annual debit card that Kia/Hyundai is giving to help compensate for the higher gas mileage?

I think it's decent...the Kia/Hyundai owners get compensated for the higher mileage, and they still have the car that they like (assuming that they didn't buy their car just for the fuel economy). But it would be interesting to know how actual owners feel about this.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1094 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
I LOLd when Nissan Altima 2013 is rated at 56MPG
The day an Altima gets as much distance that my TDI
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
2233 posts
42 upvotes
Car companies test their cars themselves, in a lab environment according to EPA standards.

Something similar happened in the USA to Honda, but in that case I believe it was not Honda's fault.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2693 upvotes
ON
Parth wrote: Car companies test their cars themselves, in a lab environment according to EPA standards.
So, meaningless with no enforcement until years after the fact (if at all).
I thought the US had actual independent testing, guess not.

And you can pretty much guarantee all brands are inflated to some extent, its just H/K was audited.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1247 upvotes
Sauga
Ha! I knew it. It was very clear from looking at the real world numbers on websites like Fuelly.com that Hyundai was being overly optimistic with their numbers in the US; they stretched them to try to get the magic 40 mpg figure. This is going to backfire big time for them.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1247 upvotes
Sauga
The revised numbers are at http://hyundaimpginfo.com/overview/affected-models and http://kiampginfo.com/overview/affected-models

No more 40 mpg for any of their vehicles.
The Kia Soul highway rating was lowered by 6 mpg! Ouch.

:D From http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-20 ... ost1173482 :
[INDENT]"Does this mean the Elantra will be stripped of its 2012 North American Car of the Year Award ala Lance Armstrong? "[/INDENT]
Banned
Oct 17, 2012
409 posts
28 upvotes
KESWICK
ancnfamily wrote: EPA finds inflated gas mileage on Kia and Hyundai cars
[/URL]
All car-makers inflate gas mileage numbers. Worst are American brands.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11202 posts
5619 upvotes
Brampton
Interesting to see the larger engines literally take no change to this. While the smaller engines <=2L are taking larger hits to the numbers.

I'm sure for all these small "Gas savers" that every company is putting out has inflated numbers even the Cruze guys are complaining. Just so happens K/H were singled out but I'm sure the Cruze, Focus, Fiesta, Fiat 500 are inflating their numbers.

My post merely to point out that going to smaller engines and cars really aren't do us much in terms of saving gas, (I likes my HP/TQ).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
porchemasi wrote: I LOLd when Nissan Altima 2013 is rated at 56MPG
The day an Altima gets as much distance that my TDI
+1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
nickscott wrote: Trading in a 2010 Accord for a 2012 Hyundai is definitely not an upgrade. :facepalm:

It comes as no surprise to me that Kia would inflate the numbers. More work is certainly needed to protect the consumer from marketing 'mistakes' such as these.

Thanks for sharing!
He still has his 2010 Accord
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1584 posts
113 upvotes
This came at no surprise to me.

Ever since my family bought the Kia Sedonna 7 passenger mini-van in 2007, we've noticed that the gas mileage is much worse than the sticker info - it never, ever even remotely came close to meeting the advertised mileage. On trips where we would drive 1200km in a day on the high way, we would only get 13L/100km, a far cry from the 8L/100km that was advertised on the window sticker. The city mileage is just a disgrace.

The Kia dealership told us that the gas mileage will improve as the car "breaks in". It never did. My Toyota Yaris consistantly performs at 5.7L/100km (advertised 5.6L/100km) except in winters.

More recently the Kia dealership sent flyers advertising "free vegas trips" if we come in and ask about the (then) new 2012 Kia line-up, in the flyer they did not mention any draws nor is there a limit on the free trips given out which made me think it's too good to be true. Of coures it was all a lie and no trips were given and it was just a ploy to get people into the showroom.

So we will not consider a Korean car again no matter how many rewards they win by cheating ... to us they seem to exhibit a top-down, methodic culture of lying. of coures it's just my family experience, your mileage may vary (pun intended).
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3218 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto
This is ridiculous and smells of a conspiracy a long way (just like the witch hunt on Toyota with the "sticky" gas pedals).

ALL advertised mileage numbers are ALWAYS inflated for any automaker. You have to be pretty braindead to take any mileage number advertised by a manufacturer seriously.

We rented a Sonata in the summer and I was astounded by how good the fuel economy was for that size of car. I wouldn't buy it for other reasons, but the fuel economy was almost good enough for me to overlook the other faults of the car.

Anyway, as usual, rational thinking will be trampled in the dust as the witch hunting crowds yell for blood...