Expired Hot Deals

[Epic Games] Epic FREE Weekly Games - Sept 17 - 24 - Watchdogs 2, Football Manager 2020 and MORE

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 10:43 pm
Feb 11, 2016
23 posts
13 upvotes
Why Epic Games is giving out so many games for free? What's the catch? I don't understand?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2012
653 posts
2003 upvotes
Canada
MasterE wrote: Why Epic Games is giving out so many games for free? What's the catch? I don't understand?
The general theory is they want to get people to subconsciously open their launcher more than steam.

Once that happens, the theory is if you buy a new game you will buy it from epic instead of steam.

Of course that logic doesn't work so well on die hard RFD members but it's worth a shot.

The other obvious issue is that they give away so many quality games it's hard to justify purchasing anything at all.
RFD: Pick any two.

1) In stock
2) Low Price
3) Quality Product
Apr 7, 2009
140 posts
58 upvotes
Durham
Watch Dogs 2 is a game I've been meaning to play for a while :)
Regards,
Rodney
Aug 23, 2020
9 posts
2 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Hello. I am new to Epic games. Can I play these games on my nvidia shield? Does the shield have a launcher? Thanks.
I am also curious about this. Any luck?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2729 posts
1002 upvotes
Markham
Turns out I don't need Steam after all lol
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Oct 25, 2018
84 posts
67 upvotes
StraightCashHomie wrote: I am also curious about this. Any luck?
You can play a few games from epic using geforce now. Watchdogs 2 is available.
May 14, 2008
302 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi Everyone

I haven't played FM since like 2011. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to go through in depth....AND i find there is even a bit of a learning curve

Can I ask what have been the biggest changes since those earlier releases of 2011? What features you enjoy the most?
Mar 6, 2018
79 posts
43 upvotes
I’ve been a diehard fan of steam for the past 10 years, I would probably jump to epic this ti.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 free on Sep24 - Oct 1
May 26, 2013
87 posts
79 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
MasterE wrote: Why Epic Games is giving out so many games for free? What's the catch? I don't understand?
They have to displace a 15+ years of entrenched playerbase on Steam, *and* there's increased competition from Microsoft Gamepass. At the same time many of the big publishers are trying to hide behind their own stores -- GOG, Battle.net, Ubisoft, Origin. Origin appears to be dying, but there's tons of competitive attempts are walled gardens.

Epic has stupid money right now, and these 'offers' cost them relatively little. I have it on good authority that they're buying these limited time offer licenses for $1-5m each time... seems like a lot, but when they're making $100m+ a month thanks to Fortnite skins / seasons passes, its a drop in the bucket.
Mar 17, 2016
99 posts
66 upvotes
You can use Geforce now to play Stick it to the man and Watch dogs 2. New geforce now games are announced every Thursday. The free Epic games of the week are usually included.
Dec 2, 2009
773 posts
296 upvotes
Markham
May we all thank and bless the cashcow that is Fortnite for providing us these many free games.
Nov 9, 2016
182 posts
74 upvotes
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition is free right now!! Can't wait to play - love RollerCoaster Tycoon
Jul 14, 2014
910 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So in order to play these games on the Shield, you need to use Geforce Now. First claim the games on the Epic store, then on your Shield click on the Nvidia Games icon, and from there you can search the games you own and launch them. If you don't have a GFN Founder subscription ($6.49 per month), you will have to queue before you are assigned a virtual rig in the cloud and are able to play. Depending on the time of day, that could be several minutes to an hour or more.

Also, bearing in mind that this is cloud gaming, you will be streaming the games and therefore need a solid internet connection. Preferably your Shield should be connected to your router via ethernet, and if not it should definitely be on 5Ghz wifi.

Most weekly free games on the Epic store are supported on Geforce Now, so yes you can play Watchdogs 2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon.