• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 6:20 pm
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was the service up right before the arrests?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
According to that blog post they had 1/2 mil is sales last year.
I don't know what the net profit is, but I imagine it's something worthwhile (prior to getting caught and going to jail).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4997 posts
2191 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Amateurs. Pros could probably set it up much better so they won't be nailed.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5337 posts
1987 upvotes
Debtario
Our tax dollars at work, I feel safer knowing these thugs are offline and terrorists are getting paid $11 million to sit tight and not throw grenades.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Sep 13, 2011
851 posts
509 upvotes
Québec
M1K3Z0R wrote: Our tax dollars at work, I feel safer knowing these thugs are offline and terrorists are getting paid $11 million to sit tight and not throw grenades.
Suppose you write a book, and then you find out that a company is selling your book and keep all the profit, would you be ok with that ?

PS: your comparison is clear example of sophism.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8585 posts
1526 upvotes
"Earlier this month, a Restraint Order and Special Search Warrant was issued in respect of the Thomeh’s assets. In response, this week a total of 14 properties were restrained, including two houses and 12 plots of land. Two vehicles were also seized.

If found guilty the RCMP is warning that under the Copyright Act, the pair could each face a five-year prison sentence, a CAD$1m penalty, or even both."

Looks like the couple were doing pretty good until they got nicked. The owned all that and had done US$517,503 in sales.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jun 19, 2007
223 posts
74 upvotes
Mississauga
elgros4 wrote: Suppose you write a book, and then you find out that a company is selling your book and keep all the profit, would you be ok with that ?

PS: your comparison is clear example of sophism.
Suppose you pay to learn to talk, someone certainly invented talking, and then you pay to learn to read, and then you pay to learn to write... Your remark is an example of sophism. Do you know why ? Because " if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe...." That's why. Propensity for creativity and innovation is an unstoppable force , for everything alive, if not you , someone (or one day something) else will invent, write, build, create, and quite possible for free. So dont get started.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12638 posts
3424 upvotes
Scarberia
ah this is maybe why my iptv is down lol..im using a crystalclear IP clone!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Sep 13, 2011
851 posts
509 upvotes
Québec
allanbradl wrote: Suppose you pay to learn to talk, someone certainly invented talking, and then you pay to learn to read, and then you pay to learn to write... Your remark is an example of sophism. Do you know why ? Because " if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe...." That's why. Propensity for creativity and innovation is an unstoppable force , for everything alive, if not you , someone (or one day something) else will invent, write, build, create, and quite possible for free. So dont get started.
I love you, I am sending positive energy so you can heal.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2605 posts
2337 upvotes
Montreal
elgros4 wrote: Suppose you write a book, and then you find out that a company is selling your book and keep all the profit, would you be ok with that ?
The free copying of ideas is how the world worked for most of human history. Certainly neither Shakespeare, nor Newton nor Plato benefited from copyright.
Last edited by FrancisBacon on Nov 1st, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4997 posts
2191 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
FrancisBacon wrote: The free copying of ideas is how the world worked for most of human history. Certainly neither Shakespeare, nor Newtown nor Plato benefited from copyright.
I was reading some article that Walt Disney and his ilk freely plagiarised the Grimm Brothers among others but as soon as they created content, they had U.S. copyright laws enacted to last their lifetimes and then further extended to some many years past their death. I am surprised they haven't tried to extend it for perpetuity.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... alt+disney

FWIW, the original version of Mickey Mouse (Steamboat Willy?) goes into public domain in ~4 years.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.