Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
EQ Bank

2.30% EQ Bank interest rate increased

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 2:22 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal

2.30% EQ Bank interest rate increased

Deal Link:
Price:
2.3%
Retailer:
EQ Bank
Finally, it looks like the lottery finally worked for people who didn't get a Tangerine offer. Usually, people use lottery to deliberately deny someone an offer, just like the Colorado Avalanche selecting 4th overall for the 2017 draft.

iT IS NOT TARGETED.
Images
  • 1.jpg
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Thread Summary
FAQs:

1. CDIC covers $100k.
2. EQ limits new account holders to depositing $100k or less.
3. In the unlikely event of bank failure CDIC's target is to get your money to you in *3 business days* without any claim action necessary on your part at all.
223 replies
Oct 27, 2015
208 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Given the ongoing troubles at Home Trust and the doubts depositers have with Equitable Bank, this comes as no surprise.

2.3% is still cheaper than the bail out loan that Equitable Bank received.
May 19, 2005
655 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
It's a predictable rate increase while some rats are bailing.

A bigger red flag emerged when concerns about possible contagion appeared to have been justified Canada's Equitable Group, another alternative mortgage lender, said Monday it had started seeing “an elevated but manageable” decrease in deposit balances, traditionally a polite way by management to admit a bank jog is taking place. The company said that customers had withdrawn an average C$75 million each day between Wednesday and Friday, and while the withdrawals so far are modest, and represented 2.4% of the total deposit base, the recent HCG case study showed how quickly such a bank run could escalate. And while liquid assets remained at roughly C$1 billion after the outflows, the company also announced that it had taken out its own C$2 billion credit line with a group of Canadian banks, just in case the bank run was only getting started.

Having taken preemptive action, Equitable’s loans terms were more favorable than Home Capital’s, which as reported last week is paying an effective rate of 22.5% on the first half of the C$2 billion credit line that it tapped Monday from the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan.

According to Bloomberg, Equitable is paying a far more modest 1.25% interest rate on the drawn portion, and a 0.75% commitment fee and a 0.5% standby charge.

Trying to mitigate concerns, Andrew Moor, CEO of Equitable said that “the issues affecting the well-known trust company in Toronto are their issues alone, and it’s unfortunate the banking industry has been dragged into it." He spoke on a call to discuss earnings, which were published almost two weeks earlier than planned due to the Home Capital selloff.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10597 posts
15791 upvotes
GT-EH
So to be safe... don't deposit more than $100k right? :lol:
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1176 posts
922 upvotes
and here i was a few months ago stressing about tangerine and eq savings % and now im making those % almost everyday simply holding the 2 main crypto currency :>
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote: So to be safe... don't deposit more than $100k right? :lol:
This is RFD, nobody deposits less than $100k :D
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
so you are saying eq bank is not doing well?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Dec 26, 2015
480 posts
398 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
will i get my money back if it goes under?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Passing on this. I'll take 0.3% less at tangerine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't there a very tiny chance that EQ might fail, and despite 100K being insured and policies to pay it out fast other factors may cause the money to be locked in for a while if that happens?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/equitab ... -1.4097010
Home Capital saw a flood of withdrawals from its savings accounts following the OSC news, which prompted the lender to get a $2 billion loan from a pension plan at an interest rate of between 16 and 22 per cent — high enough it's raising questions about the company's ability to stay in business.

Unlike bigger banks which raise money in a variety of ways, alternative lenders like Home Capital and Equitable primarily raise funds via savings accounts and GICs. They then take those funds and loan them out, making money in the process from the couple of percentage point gap between what they pay out in interest to savers, and what they charge borrowers.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1514 posts
1401 upvotes
Digital Gulag
Why does this feel more like an investment than a savings lol
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10597 posts
15791 upvotes
GT-EH
zentro wrote: Isn't there a very tiny chance that EQ might fail, and despite 100K being insured and policies to pay it out fast other factors may cause the money to be locked in for a while if that happens?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/equitab ... -1.4097010
Ya, I would like to know how fast it's going to take to get our insured money from CDIC if they go under.

I would hate to wait YEARS and the thought it may be tied up in the courts before anyone is paid out!
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
systemdude wrote: will i get my money back if it goes under?
Yes, Equitable Bank is listed under CDIC, 100k is insured. But if alternative banks/lenders begin to fall like dominoes, it would be uncertain how long it will take to get your money out, because CDIC may need to borrow funds to cover the losses or there might be legislation and stuff that will have to occur. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten us, I think if it's just EQ, the resolution will be fast but if the entire economy is involved than who know how long it will take?

http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-di/what-we- ... fault.aspx
We insure eligible deposits at each member institution up to a maximum of $100,000 (principal and interest combined) per depositor per insured category.

To be eligible for deposit insurance, deposits must be payable in Canada and in Canadian currency. We do not cover foreign currency deposits including US dollars.

Eligible deposits include:

Savings accounts
Chequing accounts
Term deposits, (such as GICs) with original terms to maturity of five years or less
Debentures issued to evidence deposits by CDIC member institutions (other than banks)
Money orders and bank drafts issued by CDIC members
Cheques certified by CDIC members
http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-cdic/resolu ... story.aspx
Oct 8, 2010
993 posts
280 upvotes
GTA
I just pulled money from EQ to TD yesterday, where TD is offering 2.2% for limited times when I open the savings account... now I see this. Still wouldn't risk for extra 0.1% with current EQ status...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
3279 posts
1272 upvotes
Montreal
F**k me!! Why is this bank still not available to QC!!!
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Found this pamphlet from CDIC, that gives a quick overview.

http://www.cdic.ca/en/financial-communi ... posits.pdf

or

http://www.cdic.ca/en/financial-communi ... osits.aspx
What happens if a member institution fails?
  • It is not necessary to file a claim with CDIC.
  • CDIC will communicate with the depositors of the failed member institution regarding payment of insured deposits.
  • Payments are made as soon as possible.
  • The payment(s) will include principal and interest, totalling up to $100,000.
  • No insurance is payable on interest earned on a deposit after the date the CDIC member failed
So their own info just says "as soon as possible", whatever that means.

Anyways the chance is probably extremely low, but at the same time is it worth it?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1433 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not advocating that anyone puts money into EQ as I have no vested interest in them, but they are not the ones that were investigated in the first place. Besides, the regulators will not allow EQ or even Home Capital to fail as they will "strongly encourage" other stronger financial institutions to take it over if required to prevent failure because of the impact on the confidence of the overall market. Fear drives contagion, which is bad news for everyone, so let's not scare ourselves unnecessarily.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
477 upvotes
back in the 90's we invested 200K + with the Portugese Bank of something. GIC interest was highest among all banks at that time...when we setup the accounts we were told to split it into 3 accounts, mine, my wife and joint. This allowed us to be protected with CDIC for each account.

Fast forward a year and the bank went bankrupt. Was thinking I had to get a lawyer, etc...within a few days of the announcement we had a cheque mailed to us from CDIC with interest for principle plus interest until bankruptcy. What a relief.

I have heard banks in AB have no 100K limit but I haven't used them...yet.
GiOBoY wrote: Ya, I would like to know how fast it's going to take to get our insured money from CDIC if they go under.

I would hate to wait YEARS and the thought it may be tied up in the courts before anyone is paid out!
Last edited by iwells on May 4th, 2017 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10597 posts
15791 upvotes
GT-EH
I found the answer... CDIC will pay you out within a span of three weeks:

SOURCE: http://www.advisor.ca/images/sponsors/cdic_ce_nov05.pdf

Relevant part:
Within a span of three weeks, CDIC made payment of all insured deposits.
That's pretty darn quick!
This officially makes it a HOT deal. :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
I think that's just one case study that affected 2600 Canadians, so fairly small.

Now imagine multiple institutions fail and a few million people are involved in a short time, whatever the policy is, I doubt they have all the funds available to pay everyone off in a short time. The situation would be unprecedented if something like that happened.

Anyways the risk is probably very minimal either way, I'm just over analyzing it for worst case scenario.