Personal Finance

The EQ Bank Personal Account thread - 2.50% (+1.50% direct deposit) - USD account is out: 3.00%

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2024 5:33 pm
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
ace604 wrote: Anyone hit the 10 link limit?

Anyone tried to add more accounts after having EQ connections linked as well? Seems they are counting both together in the limit.

I was at 12 total combined, deleted one, and cannot add another back in because I'm still "over" the limit.
You have to call in for them to delete the ones you dont want. Happened to me before as well.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
angel_wing0 wrote: You have to call in for them to delete the ones you dont want. Happened to me before as well.
Yes, I did it via online chat. Was it instant when you called in? Online chat said it would take 2-3 business days but it only took 1.

My situation though, was that I was at 10 links + 2 EQ 'connections' ... I couldn't add BMO so I requested 1 link be removed.
Then I was at 9 + 2 and still couldn't add a 10th link getting the "can't exceed 10 limit" error.

I had to delete the 2 EQ connections, get down to 9 + 0, then I could add BMO, then I could add the 2 EQ connections back in.

This is the :facepalm: part.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Why does EQ not show my pulling of funds from Tangerine as a pending transaction? EQ immediately updated the balance of my account although the amount available was still equal to before the pull. The money is still sitting in my Tangerine account.

By the same token, is there any way to cancel a pull from EQ?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ace604 wrote: add the 2 EQ connections back in.
This got me thinking. I know, that can be dangerous so Warning: This idea is [only partly] in jest.

Each linkage operation generates about 25¢ to 50¢ in random, small, freebie deposits. So where there's an opening there's an opportunity for enterprising RFDers...

1. add an external link
2. get a small deposit for free
3. delete the link
4. rinse and repeat
5. PROFIT!!!

Sure it's only a small amount. But EQB provides up to 10 links. Not everyone needs that many. A really enterprising RFDer could even do multiple linking/delinking operations in parallel. After all this is RFD where people get annoyed when a cash register rounding error screws them out of a single cent. This is an opportunity to screw "The Man" back for many times that much. Just think of how much free money people could "earn" doing this among EQB and TING. Some might even make more money this way than they could get from TING's interest rate promos. [Remember, you were warned ;) ]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1314 posts
289 upvotes
So, I pulled my money out of tangerine, or so I thought, last night. But my balance isn't updated, and there seems to be no record of it, and chat says they have no record of it. But, I don't want to do another pull in case this does an NSF on my tangerine account when they both go through.

I don't know if I made a mistake, or if it's just their silly system where they dont show you transactions.

Also, can I use Tangerine to link to EQ yet? Because their system actually works.
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
Try to send an EMT and EQ said it's not working because of technical issues. Got a lousy phone rep that took 10 minutes to verify my identity. I am kind of getting frustrated with them.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
ace604 wrote: TD?
otherwise, if not tangerine, it's a 5 day wait for transferring between EQ and TD?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6870 posts
1025 upvotes
Calgary
angel_wing0 wrote: Try to send an EMT and EQ said it's not working because of technical issues. Got a lousy phone rep that took 10 minutes to verify my identity. I am kind of getting frustrated with them.
i had that issue too this week but tried a 2nd time and it went through... still like the free emts this bank offers
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
actng wrote: otherwise, if not tangerine, it's a 5 day wait for transferring between EQ and TD?
Not sure what you are asking still :) Transfers don't take that long.
There is a 5-day hold on funds that you pull into EQ, but they show up at EQ instantly and earn interest immediately.
The money would leave TD well before the 5 days.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
markj wrote: i had that issue too this week but tried a 2nd time and it went through... still like the free emts this bank offers
See the thing is I sent the max limit for the day, so it wont let me try again for the same day even if it's working.

Just tried again, still not working :mad:
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
ace604 wrote: Not sure what you are asking still :) Transfers don't take that long.
There is a 5-day hold on funds that you pull into EQ, but they show up at EQ instantly and earn interest immediately.
The money would leave TD well before the 5 days.
the hold means i can't move the money back out within those 5 days? is it always 5 days or is it shortened over time?
Jun 21, 2016
211 posts
55 upvotes
actng wrote: the hold means i can't move the money back out within those 5 days? is it always 5 days or is it shortened over time?
You won't be able to do anything with the money until the hold is off. I'm not sure about anyone else but my hold time has not decreased and I have had the exact same amount of money being moved over biweekly since I opened my EQ account.
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
actng wrote: the hold means i can't move the money back out within those 5 days? is it always 5 days or is it shortened over time?
It's always 5 business days, unless the funds are pushed into the account which then u'll be able to use right away.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
bobo709 wrote: You won't be able to do anything with the money until the hold is off. I'm not sure about anyone else but my hold time has not decreased and I have had the exact same amount of money being moved over biweekly since I opened my EQ account.
angel_wing0 wrote: It's always 5 business days, unless the funds are pushed into the account which then u'll be able to use right away.
Ya, they don't offer 'credit' facility at all - no chequing/overdraft, no waiving of holds.

To be super clear, the hold is more like 6 days (the way I would count it anyways).
If you deposit Monday, it's held 5 full days AFTER Monday (Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Mon) and then you can access it on the following Tuesday.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
I pulled money from TING (out of EQ) Wednesday night. TING credited my account yesterday and yet today(just checked now), money is still with EQ. Does it take that long (2 full days) to pull money in/out of EQ? So we gain extra days of interest regardless we pull from EQ or from TING courtesy of EQ? If we pick close to weekend it would be better even
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
mkl38s wrote: I pulled money from TING (out of EQ) Wednesday night. TING credited my account yesterday and yet today(just checked now), money is still with EQ. Does it take that long (2 full days) to pull money in/out of EQ? So we gain extra days of interest regardless we pull from EQ or from TING courtesy of EQ? If we pick close to weekend it would be better even
Yes that';s correct. It wouldnt make a big difference anyway unless it's a HUGE amount that you are transferring.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3351 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
mkl38s wrote: I pulled money from TING (out of EQ) Wednesday night. TING credited my account yesterday and yet today(just checked now), money is still with EQ. Does it take that long (2 full days) to pull money in/out of EQ? So we gain extra days of interest regardless we pull from EQ or from TING courtesy of EQ? If we pick close to weekend it would be better even
Yes. That's my plan next week. Pull money on Tangerine on Wed and have the money credited the next day. Since Friday is holiday, I might see the money pulled out by Monday or Tuesday. That's like an extra $7 or so for me.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
It's technically not 2 full days because Tangerine doesn't let you schedule a pull for "today". A "now" transfer in is always scheduled for the next day.

See #4 at my post here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtop ... p=27320399

EQ->TNG done by pull from TNG day 0, scheduled for day 1, credited day 1, withdrawn from EQ day 2
Troydabes wrote: Yes. That's my plan next week. Pull money on Tangerine on Wed and have the money credited the next day. Since Friday is holiday, I might see the money pulled out by Monday or Tuesday. That's like an extra $7 or so for me.
Or you could just schedule it now for Thursday.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3351 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote: Or you could just schedule it now for Thursday.
Will it get credited on Good Friday? I guess my plan might get my funds on EQ get credited on Friday huh?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
Troydabes wrote: Will it get credited on Good Friday? I guess my plan might get my funds on EQ get credited on Friday huh?
Doing it "now" on Wed. or scheduling it for Thu. are the same thing. It will credit to Tangerine on Thursday either way.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)