Expired Hot Deals

[Equifax] Free Equifax Credit reports due to Covid-19

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 11:43 am
Mar 28, 2019
74 posts
203 upvotes
Lamma wrote: I just saw something on Marketplace I think about this. Credit score is useless, it's for your own peace of mind. It will not help you get a mortgage, car loan etc. Banks will use FICO scores and those scores are not available to the general public.

My question is why in Canada can't we lock our credit score like they can in the US? This would solve a huge issue with fraud.
I recall this for Americans but a quick search shows up that this isn't available for Canadians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketpl ... -1.4937903
Last edited by TheKnee on Jul 14th, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[external advertising not allowed]
Aug 14, 2019
692 posts
339 upvotes
TheKnee wrote: Not sure if its still the same but when I used to work for them you used to have the ability to call in to get a once a year credit report with equifax.

1-800-465-7166

Can't recall if it was the US or the Canadian line though but gave that out so many times that it etched into my mind lol.
Their IVR doesn’t give that as an option these days.
Aug 14, 2019
692 posts
339 upvotes
RichRFD wrote: You can download the free Equifax one (assuming you can get it).
not in the past and not currently. I'll try calling them this week if I can remember to.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
sheyenne wrote: not in the past and not currently. I'll try calling them this week if I can remember to.
Print to PDF.
Nov 23, 2018
50 posts
32 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: They want me to call them :(

Please Call Us at
1-866-820-9118
You're only one step away from seeing your product. With one quick call we can complete your identity verification.
We are unable to verify your identity online. For assistance, please call our Customer Care department at 1-866-820-9118. Our Customer Care Representatives are available to assist you 7 days a week from 8:00 am to 12 midnight Eastern Standard Time.
Not sure if this will be helpful, but I got the same error message, and ended up finding out that I already had access to my credit report through my bank (Scotiabank). The Scotiabank app only gives an overview, but you can access the full report through online banking on a browser.
Nov 4, 2015
755 posts
523 upvotes
Ontario
sheyenne wrote: not in the past and not currently. I'll try calling them this week if I can remember to.
What tntdeal said. There's a button to print the report. You just print it as a pdf file instead.
Aug 14, 2019
692 posts
339 upvotes
RichRFD wrote: What tntdeal said. There's a button to print the report. You just print it as a pdf file instead.
Maybe we’re not on the same page. But, I’m referring to being unable to access your report without a fee being paid.
Nov 4, 2015
755 posts
523 upvotes
Ontario
sheyenne wrote: Maybe we’re not on the same page. But, I’m referring to being unable to access your report without a fee being paid.
I was able to access my report (with no score) for free (added to cart for $0). I did it back in April and again a couple of days ago. I guess the difference was that I didn't need to call them for that extra verification so once you get that sorted out, you should hopefully be able to do the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1694 posts
150 upvotes
How much of a credit hit does, opening for a new credit card or opening a new credit card? Or is it the number of credit available, and not the number of cards?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4367 posts
6180 upvotes
Montreal
reggyDeal wrote: How much of a credit hit does, opening for a new credit card or opening a new credit card? Or is it the number of credit available, and not the number of cards?
Just applying for a credit card, whether you get it or not, is a small hit on your score.
If a large portion of the credit that is available to you is used, that lowers your score as well.

Calling an expert: @titaniumtux @Poutinesauce
Nov 25, 2014
382 posts
337 upvotes
newfbc wrote: Credit Karma
Borrowwell
Mogo
Your FI web access

Many ways to access score for free.

Ron.
Credit Karma score: 780
Score from financial institution: 824

:facepalm:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33709 posts
19496 upvotes
Ottawa
OutOfSt0ck wrote: Credit Karma score: 780

Which FI?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4367 posts
6180 upvotes
Montreal

There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to a credit score.
It's an opinion based on many criteria that differ in nature and weight from one company to another.
It constantly varies in time as new information is added to your file and old one is not considered anymore such as payment history, credit levels, etc.
It's like if you were asking Tom, dick and Harry for a personal loan.
Each one would evaluate the risk that you represent differently.
Jun 10, 2017
635 posts
833 upvotes

Which financial institution matters as they update at different frequencies and they also use different credit bureaus.
Example, rbc updates monthly and source is TransUnion.. CIBC updates every 3 months and source is Equifax. Capital one uses TransUnion to provide you your credit score and they update weekly.
Oct 20, 2009
183 posts
64 upvotes
By checking your credit report, does it negatively impact your credit rating? Lower it?
It's not all about saving a few dollars....its the Principle of it :)