Personal Finance

Equifax my.equifax.ca just shown me someone else's credit report/score

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 10:55 am
[OP]
Member
Nov 12, 2009
294 posts
78 upvotes

Equifax my.equifax.ca just shown me someone else's credit report/score

Well, what do you know and how fu*ked up it can be?

So, I have access to Equifax credit score/report via Desjardins program (after their data leak).

Today, I wanted to log in, as usual, however, when I tried to log in, the following screen appeared:
Screenshot 2021-06-04 122620.jpg
So, I see the first time. I know, my access is regular Equifax. But I go ahead sign up on my.equifax.ca.

I also input my SIN as I use it like candy.

The credit score and report were supposed to be refreshed monthly. After a quick phone text verification, I am presented with my credit score and report. No other ID check questions.

The only thing is that I get the credit report and score of someone living in Toronto.

Can this be any crazier?

What do you think?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2077 posts
754 upvotes
Coincidentally the Bureaus are being dragged in front of the US congress last week to talk about why there's so many errors on credit reports. Although to show you a different report is another story entirely.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
9069 posts
10202 upvotes
The Prairies
my.equifax.ca ?
Apparently that server doesn’t exist.
Are you sure you weren’t on my.equifax.com ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8177 posts
4361 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
coolintheshade wrote: my.equifax.ca ?
Apparently that server doesn’t exist.
Are you sure you weren’t on my.equifax.com ?
So OP's SIN matches a SSN and that's what they saw?
2022: BOC raised 4 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1307 posts
949 upvotes
Mississauga
mine doesnt work either once I log in I dont see my reports.. also on the Desjardins fraud thing
Newbie
Nov 16, 2019
16 posts
384 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: my.equifax.ca ?
Apparently that server doesn’t exist.
Are you sure you weren’t on my.equifax.com ?
If you try to buy any Equifax product (even the free score and report), you are redirected to my.equifax.ca/... which, indeed, is down at the moment. But, it seems that my.equifax.ca should exist.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5340 posts
2835 upvotes
Toronto
genral wrote: If you try to buy any Equifax product (even the free score and report), you are redirected to my.equifax.ca/... which, indeed, is down at the moment. But, it seems that my.equifax.ca should exist.
I wonder if that is a way to separate existing customers already on a paid plan.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8128 posts
3460 upvotes
Financial District B…
coolintheshade wrote: my.equifax.ca ?
Apparently that server doesn’t exist.
Are you sure you weren’t on my.equifax.com ?
Just did the same search, no such my.equifax.ca exists
Wonder if this was from an email spoof site link?
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8128 posts
3460 upvotes
Financial District B…
georvu wrote: So OP's SIN matches a SSN and that's what they saw?
Your credit bureau file has two main core divisions/categories. They are identifiers and qualifiers. The IQ of a credit file.
Each identifier has it's own ranking and gauge based on importance. The SIN is the highest match qualifier there is because it is static and does not change or subject to variants unlike a name or address or a credit product.
After pulling hundreds of thousands of bureau files I don't think I have ever seen an instance where a SIN matched with a totally different client.
Something else is going on here.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8177 posts
4361 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mikeymike1 wrote: Your credit bureau file has two main core divisions/categories. They are identifiers and qualifiers. The IQ of a credit file.
Each identifier has it's own ranking and gauge based on importance. The SIN is the highest match qualifier there is because it is static and does not change or subject to variants unlike a name or address or a credit product.
After pulling hundreds of thousands of bureau files I don't think I have ever seen an instance where a SIN matched with a totally different client.
Something else is going on here.
I was thinking that perhaps OP's SIN matched with a US person's SSN on the US website?

Or is that not possible with the way SINs and SSNs are created?
2022: BOC raised 4 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto, ON
georvu wrote: I was thinking that perhaps OP's SIN matched with a US person's SSN on the US website?

Or is that not possible with the way SINs and SSNs are created?
I thought SSNs had more digits but Google told me no. The US has 8-10 times more people, so I don't understand why they don't need more digits.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8128 posts
3460 upvotes
Financial District B…
georvu wrote: I was thinking that perhaps OP's SIN matched with a US person's SSN on the US website?

Or is that not possible with the way SINs and SSNs are created?
SIN data fields are: XXX XXX XXX
SNN data fields are: XXX XX XXXX

The first digit of our SIN is an identifier to what Province that person was born and/or first registered their SIN
The US SNN is similar so maybe possible, don't really know

Image

USA
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v45 ... n11p29.pdf
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2342 posts
1739 upvotes
Montreal, QC
youtube101 wrote: Well, what do you know and how fu*ked up it can be?

So, I have access to Equifax credit score/report via Desjardins program (after their data leak).

Today, I wanted to log in, as usual, however, when I tried to log in, the following screen appeared:

Screenshot 2021-06-04 122620.jpg

So, I see the first time. I know, my access is regular Equifax. But I go ahead sign up on my.equifax.ca.
...
I'm not sure about your issue but I received a free Equifax subscription for a breach at MGM Resorts International mgm-resorts-international-free-equifax- ... y-2381891/ and for me, it requires that after I click on "Customer Log in" on the upper right corner of https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/personal/ I use the item on the right hand side "Equifax" and not "MyEquifax" on the left hand side.

My one year free subscription is coming to an end so I will need to get my last free Equifax credit report before only fully relying on Borrowell and CreditKarma
Member
Jan 28, 2019
442 posts
208 upvotes
youtube101 wrote: Well, what do you know and how fu*ked up it can be?

So, I have access to Equifax credit score/report via Desjardins program (after their data leak).

Today, I wanted to log in, as usual, however, when I tried to log in, the following screen appeared:

Screenshot 2021-06-04 122620.jpg

So, I see the first time. I know, my access is regular Equifax. But I go ahead sign up on my.equifax.ca.

I also input my SIN as I use it like candy.

The credit score and report were supposed to be refreshed monthly. After a quick phone text verification, I am presented with my credit score and report. No other ID check questions.

The only thing is that I get the credit report and score of someone living in Toronto.

Can this be any crazier?

What do you think?
i signed up for my equifax and my score is all of a sudden 23 point higher. utilization went down from 23 to 9%
they calculated my closed accounts into it.
i talked to someone from equifax and he said they use a different scoring model.
anybody heard about this?

Top