• Apr 12th, 2020 8:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
290 posts
237 upvotes

Equifax Notification

I get notifications from CIBC whenever there is a change to my credit report. I’m making a bunch of banking, investing and credit card changes so I expect to get a bunch of these notifications. With each notification, tells me who is pulling the information. For example “BMO ####”, and the numbers are different.

My question is whether the numbers mean anything. I’m just trying to figure out exactly which request is causing a pull from my credit report.

Thanks
9 replies
Nov 23, 2014
497 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
reversi wrote: I get notifications from CIBC whenever there is a change to my credit report. I’m making a bunch of banking, investing and credit card changes so I expect to get a bunch of these notifications. With each notification, tells me who is pulling the information. For example “BMO ####”, and the numbers are different.

My question is whether the numbers mean anything. I’m just trying to figure out exactly which request is causing a pull from my credit report.

Thanks
May be they are soft pulls from your lenders,to check how your financial health ..payment history ,credit utilization,etc

Most of the time they are automated

If there are any red flags in the credit..your lenders will be alerted and they may make credit decisions ..like decreasing your credit limits,closing accounts ,etc
and it may be used for other reasons if your credit is good/improved..like increasing your credit limit ,offering new loans/products etc
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
290 posts
237 upvotes
Thanks. I know why they’re doing the pulls. What I’m asking is if there is any meaning to the specific numbers in the notification. Ie “BMO ####”

Thanks
Mar 14, 2014
849 posts
1064 upvotes
reversi wrote: Thanks. I know why they’re doing the pulls. What I’m asking is if there is any meaning to the specific numbers in the notification. Ie “BMO ####”

Thanks
I have received Equifax alert messages in the past on my CIBC online account. In your example, "BMO ####", the #'s refer to BMO's telephone number that you could call to inquire about their Equifax inquiry. You will only receive hard pull notifications related to financial institutions and merchants such as utilities/cellular communications, etc,.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
290 posts
237 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: I have received Equifax alert messages in the past on my CIBC online account. In your example, "BMO ####", the #'s refer to BMO's telephone number that you could call to inquire about their Equifax inquiry. You will only receive hard pull notifications related to financial institutions and merchants such as utilities/cellular communications, etc,.
Fantastic. Thanks for the info
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7979 posts
3270 upvotes
Financial District B…
reversi wrote: Thanks. I know why they’re doing the pulls. What I’m asking is if there is any meaning to the specific numbers in the notification. Ie “BMO ####”

Thanks
Are they 10 digit numbers?
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Oct 12, 2005
447 posts
387 upvotes
Lower Mainland BC
I’ve seen them put the five digit transit (branch) numbers in these checks, I guess so one could narrow down where they came from.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
290 posts
237 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: Are they 10 digit numbers?
Both of the ones I’m seeing are 4 digit numbers. They’re both from BMO but different numbers.

I don’t know they’re the last 4 digits of my accounts because I’m just in the process of setting up the account.

I was wondering if the codes could have been say
- “0001” is from credit card x
- 0002 is a pull for a HELOC
- 0003 is for a new bank account set up.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Oct 17, 2014
245 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When I apply for BMO credit card, the Fraud Prevention Alert says "Requestor Name: BMO 2203" -- Add region code 2-Ontario to the end of this 2203 to get a complete BMO branch number 22032. This is BMO branch: Card Services Division at 3300 Bloor St W, East Tower.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8052 posts
8479 upvotes
The Prairies
reversi wrote: Both of the ones I’m seeing are 4 digit numbers. They’re both from BMO but different numbers.

I don’t know they’re the last 4 digits of my accounts because I’m just in the process of setting up the account.

I was wondering if the codes could have been say
- “0001” is from credit card x
- 0002 is a pull for a HELOC
- 0003 is for a new bank account set up.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case.
They’re lending department codes.
As another poster stated, 2203 is the credit card lending department.