Personal Finance

Equifax record is perfect,but Trans Union errors in name/addy- Should I be concerned

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2016 12:04 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes

Equifax record is perfect,but Trans Union errors in name/addy- Should I be concerned

My EQUIFAX credit report is perfect and up to date. No mistakes and no errors. Plus my credit score is exactly 800.

My Trans Union report, both my first name and last name is spelled wrong. Also my house number is wrong. Rest of the address is fine, except for the house number . Also DOB and SIN is fine.

Should I be concerned and try to get it corrected and rectified on Trans Union or just let it be. I don't want to waste my time & energy trying to get this fixed, as honestly I don't trust them to do much and its a big hassle dealing with them.

I have never been declined for any credit card or utility or cell phone or bank account I have applied for so far. So I guess they are mostly checking my Equifax report and not the error filled TU report.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8001 posts
3298 upvotes
Financial District B…
Yes get them corrected. If it was a 'previous' then no big deal but if current then yes get it corrected.

The issues that can arise is not necessarily how you apply for for credit but how someone else may especially with your first and last names misspelled.
All personal data fields on your credit file plays a role in the client match protocol. Non variable identifiers should be exact.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4348 posts
3631 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Get it fixed now when you aren't in a rush and have no pressure. Otherwise, down the road you may have an issue and it's always more stressful & timeconsuming to get issues addressed when you're under the gun. TU has been gaining share on EQ and you may run into an application decline issue in the future.

In addition, TU sells services for authenticating people doing telephone or online transactions. If you deal with a company that uses this service you may find you get your transaction denied or may have to jump through hoops to confirm who you really are.

Probability of anything going wrong is fairly low, but the consequences can be fairly high. Personally, I'd get it fixed up.
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes
Yeah I will do that. Hassle doing it, but worth it. Always amazes me how the incompetency and carelessness of others bothers you and you have to pay for it, while there are no consequences for them.
mikeymike1 wrote: Yes get them corrected. If it was a 'previous' then no big deal but if current then yes get it corrected.

The issues that can arise is not necessarily how you apply for for credit but how someone else may especially with your first and last names misspelled.
All personal data fields on your credit file plays a role in the client match protocol. Non variable identifiers should be exact.
CanadianLurker wrote: Get it fixed now when you aren't in a rush and have no pressure. Otherwise, down the road you may have an issue and it's always more stressful & timeconsuming to get issues addressed when you're under the gun. TU has been gaining share on EQ and you may run into an application decline issue in the future.

In addition, TU sells services for authenticating people doing telephone or online transactions. If you deal with a company that uses this service you may find you get your transaction denied or may have to jump through hoops to confirm who you really are.

Probability of anything going wrong is fairly low, but the consequences can be fairly high. Personally, I'd get it fixed up.
Newbie
Nov 5, 2015
92 posts
10 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
TU is way easier to deal with than EQ let me tell you right now. A Telus salesmen came knocking long and short 110% lied to me about what I was signing for and low an behold an account and credit check was generated without my consent. I believed I was signing something simply to lock in an offer if I decided within the month to sign up.

I called TU and told them the credit check was not authorized. A couple weeks later I got a letter showing they removed the inquiry. All it took was a five minute phone call.

Next example, was changing my mailing address to a secure PO box in a SDM. Rogers goofed and changed my billing/primary address to the PO box. My other two cards changed the address properly. Next thing I know both TU and EQ said that I lived at my PO box which is incorrect. A phone call into TU, maybe 10 minutes of explanation and two days later the PO box address was removed from the report.

With EQ however, they haven't done a single thing, want a bunch of paperwork to prove I don't live at SDM LMAO and even though all my addresses have been updated properly for my cards, still reports my current address as my previous.

Finally my name was spelled wrong on Transunion. They had my middle initial as the last letter in my first name. 5 minute phone calland it was changed the next day.

Point is, transunion takes 10 minutes or less to deal with simple errors over the phone while EQ is ********.
Member
User avatar
Sep 8, 2008
238 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
As far as I understand and my experience with EQ, the EQ guys operate from Indian call centers as well. They may not even know how important a credit score in one's life. These big corps have way to circumvent rules by keeping their computers in North America and then allowing their employees to remotely login and access North Americans credit.
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes
I called them and they have initiated a dispute. They said within 30 days, I will get something in mail . Not sure what it is . The agent told me its a TYPO in my name and house number.

Will they just send me a bunch of forms which I have to send back to them with photo copies of my 2 Id's, so they can correct the spelling error in my name and correct the house number ? I don't see the point of this, as I can do that right now anyways, by writing a letter to them asking to correct the stuff.

Or will they just send me a letter saying that the spelling error and house number has been corrected ?
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes
What's funny is that, he told me there are 2 names on my account.

The first name is my name with spelling errors in both my first and last name..the agent said they are typos.

The second name on my file is again my name without any errors and it says Also Known As " My Name "

Do all TU files have this i.e your name and also another name where they say Also Known As so and so.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8001 posts
3298 upvotes
Financial District B…
Yes aka data fields are shown. Both bureau systems entail this data
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
mikeymike1 wrote: Yes aka data fields are shown. Both bureau systems entail this data
I rarely see someone using the verb "entail" in forums. Is it because you're from UK or is it some kind of bank/lawyer speak ?
Newbie
Nov 5, 2015
92 posts
10 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
The papers you get will state your new info you gave verbally over the phone and if you still need to dispute further, the proper forms will be included.

ashwanidesi wrote: I called them and they have initiated a dispute. They said within 30 days, I will get something in mail . Not sure what it is . The agent told me its a TYPO in my name and house number.

Will they just send me a bunch of forms which I have to send back to them with photo copies of my 2 Id's, so they can correct the spelling error in my name and correct the house number ? I don't see the point of this, as I can do that right now anyways, by writing a letter to them asking to correct the stuff.

Or will they just send me a letter saying that the spelling error and house number has been corrected ?

Top