Oct 23, 2007
155 posts

Equinox or Grand Vitara

Hello.

Im on the market right now for a used SUV and have narrowed the choices to
the Equinox or the Grand Vitara.

Fortunately, I found both a 2006 model, almost same mileage and almost same
price.

Which one would you think is the wise choice of the two? Both have 1 owners and no accident.

Thanks.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4228 posts
1522 upvotes
Ottawa
tma888 wrote: Hello.

Im on the market right now for a used SUV and have narrowed the choices to
the Equinox or the Grand Vitara.

Fortunately, I found both a 2006 model, almost same mileage and almost same
price.

Which one would you think is the wise choice of the two? Both have 1 owners and no accident.

Thanks.
I've driven both - as rentals - and both enjoy similar reliability reputations and are seen as close competitors. Mileage is similar - as are the horsepower of their V6s (although the Equinox' engine produces more torque) and towing capacity. The Equinox is bigger and roomier and has better headroom and rear legroom and rides more smoothly due to its significantly longer wheelbase. The Suzuki has a noticeably better turning circle. My pick would be the Equinox LT2 AWD but if the one you're looking at is a lesser model (and less featured), a Grand Vitara Luxury AWD might be the better choice - if you're prepared to give up some rear passenger comfort and cargo room in exchange for features.

BTW, there have been persistent rumours that Suzuki would pull out of the North American market as their sales figures have all but evaporated in the last couple of years. Whether they do or not, their sales and service support network is sure to be less secure than Chevrolet's. Still, this is in the realm of fear-mongering and I personally don't buy it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26640 posts
6924 upvotes
The old Equinox is the same car as a Suzuki XL7, and that vehicle is unfortunatly quite terrible. The Equinox/Torrent don't seem to have quite as many problems as the XL7 however.

But the Grand Vit is a totally different vehicle and if we're comparing it to the older gen Equinox, the Grand Vit wins hands down in my view. GV is more capable off-road, has a much better interior IMO, drives better and feels better. The Equinox only wins out in size (hence why Suzuki themselves has the Grand Vit and XL7 as different models), but otherwise I would say the GV wins everywhere else.

The Grand Vit I'm not sure what transmission the 06 would have had. The Equinox uses a 5spd auto unless it's a Sport which would have a 6spd auto. The GV is more truck-like with a RWD based design and available in either RWD or 4WD; the Equinox is either FWD or AWD.

The only problem is that both of these are a little underpowered for my taste. The older gen Equinox did have the LY7 engine which is much better but only in the Sport model which was seen in 08. The Torrent (same vehicle) was available in GXP trim with the same motor. The new Equinox has totally different engine choices than the old one. Suzuki has slightly increased the power of the Grand Vit engine recently (either for 08 or 09) but that doesn't help you with an 06 of course.

Unless you're comparing an Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP, I would take the Grand Vitara for sure.