Automotive

Error at the gas pump, selected regular and paid for premium

[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes

Error at the gas pump, selected regular and paid for premium

Hello everyone,

Last night I was pumping gas at an Esso in Scarborough, I had rushed to get gas before 12 to avoid the nightly spike in prices. As I pulled up to the pump and selected the grade of gas, there was no indication of the grade I had selected, I pressed 87 a bunch of times then decided to start filling. As I started filling I realized I was being charged much more than $1.16/litre, they were charging me for premium gas. After already pumping over 30 litres and paying way more than I should be, I went in and spoke to the attendant who claimed there was nothing he could do, then began mocking me claiming I didn’t know what grade of fuel my car takes. He told me to call the manager today after 10, which I did, but there was no manager there today. Am I SOL or can I expect any form Of compensation from them? I’m hoping their cameras could potentially see that I did select the grade I wanted. Could this be some sort of rigged pump on their end? This is known as being a pretty scummy Esso.

Thanks for reading
Last edited by Mars2012 on Mar 2nd, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
74 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28907 posts
14475 upvotes
Toronto
So, you are saying you got regular gas at premium grade gas prices ? What does your receipt say ? If you have that, you may have valid grounds to complain.

In any case, you can also .....

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf ... 00007.html

File a complaint with esso head office too.

Pretty sure you won’t get any compensation (because you are currently using the product up)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6515 posts
2069 upvotes
You're SOL. You can try to contact Esso Canada about it and see what happens. I had something similar happen to me but at a Petro in Brampton. Thought I hit 87 (filling up a Toyota Matrix) but started filling up with 91 instead. I got a similar response from that gas attendant. Petro Canada head office got back to me after I filed a complaint and gave me some Petro Points as compensation. They claimed it's easy for the hose to accidentally hit the 91 button before I even hit the 87.

Either way, I let it go and have never went back to that station in Brampton. I've also never had it happen to again after that time.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes
booblehead wrote: So, you are saying you got regular gas at premium grade gas prices ? What does your receipt say ? If you have that, you may have valid grounds to complain.

In any case, you can also .....

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf ... 00007.html

File a complaint with esso head office too.

Pretty sure you won’t get any compensation (because you are currently using the product up)
I honestly don’t know what I got, I’m assuming there was just something wrong with the pump and gave me premium. I understand I am using the product and that it is very likely what I got is premium gas, it’s just frustrating that I’m stuck paying for an error on their part. The funny part of this is I NEVER go to Esso, I’ve been sticking to shell for years now, but I had been give. an Esso gift card a few weeks ago and I wanted to get rid of it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28907 posts
14475 upvotes
Toronto
So say 40 litres pumped x $0.27 price differential = $11

You already went back once to the gas station and did not get a resolution, time and gas wasted already ... if you can just move on, then you should consider it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1282 posts
1535 upvotes
Barrie, ON
What's the receipt say?
[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: Rushing to gas station to avoid nightly spike?? Who does that? Stop on the way from work, fill it up and done. Extra trip burns more gas than your savings. It's like those idiots at Costco gas station, idling 45 minutes, because it's 5 cents cheaper than Petro station across the street. Can't fix stupid.
It wasn’t an extra trip, I left my home a little earlier to get there before 12. Why not leave 10 minutes earlier to save a few dollars? Only an idiot can’t read between the lines. Think before you speak and put others down.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3613 posts
2255 upvotes
Edmonton
Beamerguy28 wrote: As I started filling I realized was being charged much more than $1.16/litre, they were charging me for premium gas. After already pumping over 30 litres and paying way more than I should be...
Why didn't you just stop then? Sounds like you kept pumping even after realizing the price discrepancy.
Last edited by starchoice on Feb 28th, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3026 posts
2280 upvotes
Toronto
Tommy74 wrote: Rushing to gas station to avoid nightly spike?? Who does that? Stop on the way from work, fill it up and done. Extra trip burns more gas than your savings. It's like those idiots at Costco gas station, idling 45 minutes, because it's 5 cents cheaper than Petro station across the street. Can't fix stupid.
That's got to be the biggest myth out there. I go to costcos all over the GTA and never wait anywhere near 45 minutes, I've never waited more than a minute. Heartland, Dixie and Dundas and Ancaster locations I've never waited, these are ones I frequent but not limited to these locations.

If you put in premium they have the lowest spread across grades and they're already cheaper on regular than normal stations.
Last edited by WMPCOT on Feb 28th, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: What's the receipt say?

It says I got premium, so weird I’ve never had this happen before. Looks like something was faulty with the pump.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11958 posts
8630 upvotes
GTA, ON
Beamerguy28 wrote: It says I got premium, so weird I’ve never had this happen before. Looks like something was faulty with the pump.
The hose probably hit the 91 button. This isn't the first time I've heard this. I believe I've even read it before in this site.

Solution is to just lift the nozzle out of holder & always press your grade before pulling nozzle/hose away from pump.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1316 posts
767 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Beamerguy28 wrote: I honestly don’t know what I got, I’m assuming there was just something wrong with the pump and gave me premium. I understand I am using the product and that it is very likely what I got is premium gas, it’s just frustrating that I’m stuck paying for an error on their part. The funny part of this is I NEVER go to Esso, I’ve been sticking to shell for years now, but I had been give. an Esso gift card a few weeks ago and I wanted to get rid of it.
So you’re complaining but in reality you’re not out of pocket?

I love RFD.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: So you’re complaining but in reality you’re not out of pocket?

I love RFD.
Again, people really can’t read here. I did not get what I wanted or needed. It’s like getting an iPhone and paying for it when you only ordered headphones. Why should I pay for something that I didn’t choose? Premium is useless to me.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1316 posts
767 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Beamerguy28 wrote: Again, people really can’t read here. I did not get what I wanted or needed. It’s like getting an iPhone and paying for it when you only ordered headphones. Why should I pay for something that I didn’t choose? Premium is useless to me.
You got gas you didn’t have to pay for. You’re just upset you couldn’t get another little bit more for free.

Esso scam indeed.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11958 posts
8630 upvotes
GTA, ON
Beamerguy28 wrote: Again, people really can’t read here. I did not get what I wanted or needed. It’s like getting an iPhone and paying for it when you only ordered headphones. Why should I pay for something that I didn’t choose? Premium is useless to me.
Unless you can siphon it out of your tank and put it back into their tank, you're SOL.

Again, they're probably right. The pump hose likelu hit the button. That's why you should always wait until everything activates before pumping.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Oct 21, 2006
635 posts
396 upvotes
op pls share location so others can avoid this trap, thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15958 posts
17197 upvotes
Oakville
Beamerguy28 wrote: Hello everyone,

Last night I was pumping gas at an Esso in Scarborough, I had rushed to get gas before 12 to avoid the nightly spike in prices. As I pulled up to the pump and selected the grade of gas, there was no indication of the grade I had selected, I pressed 87 a bunch of times then decided to start filling. As I started filling I realized I was being charged much more than $1.16/litre, they were charging me for premium gas. After already pumping over 30 litres and paying way more than I should be, I went in and spoke to the attendant who claimed there was nothing he could do, then began mocking me claiming I didn’t know what grade of fuel my car takes. He told me to call the manager today after 10, which I did, but there was no manager there today. Am I SOL or can I expect any form Of compensation from them? I’m hoping their cameras could potentially see that I did select the grade I wanted. Could this be some sort of rigged pump on their end? This is known as being a pretty scummy Esso.

Thanks for reading
So beamerguy28 doesn't drive a Beamer?
[OP]
Apr 22, 2019
196 posts
113 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: You got gas you didn’t have to pay for. You’re just upset you couldn’t get another little bit more for free.

Esso scam indeed.
I still paid out of pocket, not everyone drives a Corolla (like you probably do) and spend $20 to fill a gas tank lol, a $0.30/litre difference in price is quite significant when you’re filling 80 litres worth of gas. Keep digging yourself out.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3165 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
It isn't like they filled your tank with diesel fuel... take it as a lesson learned and let it go as I am sure you got bigger things to worry and take care of.