None
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
45 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Erv unit & economizer

Hi rfd'ers

I live in a subdivision in a 2 story house equipped with a AC & hrv. I think it is setup in a way the AC & hrv works independently of each other.

It bugs me when it is cold outside and the house calls for cooling,. That the compressor comes on rather than the hrv. Can I add a temperature sensor or is there one already to detect the outside temperature?

Would a nest thermostat out other controller be useful in this case?
2 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6807 upvotes
Brampton
derekc85 wrote: Hi rfd'ers

I live in a subdivision in a 2 story house equipped with a AC & hrv. I think it is setup in a way the AC & hrv works independently of each other.

It bugs me when it is cold outside and the house calls for cooling,. That the compressor comes on rather than the hrv. Can I add a temperature sensor or is there one already to detect the outside temperature?

Would a nest thermostat out other controller be useful in this case?
No a Nest will not really help as Nest does not support control of HRV/ERV systems

You don't really understand what an HRV does. It's a heat recovery unit. If you used it to draw in outside air thinking it will cool it you're confused. As what will happen is the existing warm air inside the house will just warm the air coming in (during the exchange), with that new air is humidity so it'll just make your house as warm and possibly more humid than it currently is. If you want to do this you want an ERV.

You'll need to do what other people do turn off your HVAC system and open windows.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1309 upvotes
Mississauga
An HRV isn;t designed to cool the indoor temperatire. The main job of an ERV/HRV is to refresh the air in your home. Modern houses are built air tight so the HRV/ERV exhausts the "old stale air" and brings in "fresh" air from outside. The old air might have high humidity, high VOC or high CO2.

Both units (HRV/ERV) adjust the temperature on the inbound fresh air to match the temperature of the outgoing stale air. It will warm up or cool the air they pass through the filter interchange core.
The ERV goes further and tries to match the humidity.

A nest thermostat does not support ERV or HRV but the Ecobee3 does. It runs as a timer to to refresh the indoor air.