Cell Phones

eSIM providers without need to go in person

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1174 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver

eSIM providers without need to go in person

Imagine I'm in quarantine and cannot leave my room for 14 days, and have no Canadian SIM card.

Are there pay-as-you-go providers I can sign up with online, and get an eSIM for my Android phone, without needing to appear in person anywhere? I have a Canadian credit card.

I'm interested in both calling and data.
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2009
3530 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
Sanchez wrote: Imagine I'm in quarantine and cannot leave my room for 14 days, and have no Canadian SIM card.

Are there pay-as-you-go providers I can sign up with online, and get an eSIM for my Android phone, without needing to appear in person anywhere? I have a Canadian credit card.

I'm interested in both calling and data.
i dont see the point of needing an esim (especially with data) while in quarantine, as you are not supposed to leave leave the room anyways (assuming that the room you are in has internet access already). unless you intend to sneak outside during your quarantine...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
  1. You can order a Freedom prepaid SIM online. They've been sending them out free of charge.
  2. One you have the SIM, you can activate online on the prepaid plan of your choice.
  3. Once activated you can log into your online account and switch to eSIM, free of charge.

Order the physicial SIM, and activate here:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/activate
You need to disable any popup blocking in your browser to see the chat window.

Switch to the eSIM using a PC, from a mobile device you won't get the Q-code you need to scan.

These are the Prepaid Nationwide plans:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans
But, you can elect to activate any plan Freedom offers as prepaid. They are unique in allowing that option for all plans.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plans

If you are in a rush for the SIM, you can order one from Amazon, $9.99 with Prime delivery.
https://www.amazon.ca/Freedom-Mobile-Si ... B076YS7Z92

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
chroma_cg wrote: i dont see the point of needing an esim (especially with data) while in quarantine, as you are not supposed to leave leave the room anyways (assuming that the room you are in has internet access already). unless you intend to sneak outside during your quarantine...
Nah, I disagree with your thinking here. There are lots of possible , non sinister reasons for wanting a cell phone line.
1. A recent arrival like a spouse or other close relative, who must quarantine for 14 days, but is then free to live/work here afterwards.
2. A returnee, who has been away for a while, but due to covid or other reasons, must return to Canada and re-establish themselves here
3. Someone on quarantine who needs a new cell number for any number of reasons, including changing their identity because they were being threatened for having covid (I know a gal...)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2009
3530 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: Nah, I disagree with your thinking here. There are lots of possible , non sinister reasons for wanting a cell phone line.
1. A recent arrival like a spouse or other close relative, who must quarantine for 14 days, but is then free to live/work here afterwards.
2. A returnee, who has been away for a while, but due to covid or other reasons, must return to Canada and re-establish themselves here
3. Someone on quarantine who needs a new cell number for any number of reasons, including changing their identity because they were being threatened for having covid (I know a gal...)
for 1 and 2, you can't get your sim card AFTER your quarantine period is over? you do have internet access at home anyways
for 3, as an existing customer already, you can just contact your carrier and change your number and mail you a sim card, from the comfort of your home. this is totally irrelevant to OP's question for someone who has no sim card. for fido, you can even change the number yourself online from your account.
Last edited by chroma_cg on Oct 7th, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Feb 29, 2020
130 posts
24 upvotes
I know Fido offers eSim on prepaid service as well. you must request it actually.
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2007
606 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
Sanchez wrote: Imagine I'm in quarantine and cannot leave my room for 14 days, and have no Canadian SIM card.

Are there pay-as-you-go providers I can sign up with online, and get an eSIM for my Android phone, without needing to appear in person anywhere? I have a Canadian credit card.

I'm interested in both calling and data.
if you have internet get fongo which will give you a phone number over wifi on your phone. no need to leave no cards. and when you are ready to leave get a sim.

Top