• Nov 6th, 2019 1:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace

esim question

I currently have a Samsung S9+ with a personal number from Koodo and a business number from Fongo. I'm not sure why but I'm constantly missing phone calls from Fongo so I'm thinking to get a separate plan for my business instead.

I'm thinking possibly the Pixel 4 XL and have my Koodo as my main and port my Fongo to Lucky($15 plan with 100 minutes to start) using esim.

Will I still get calls from both numbers if I have Koodo as my main?

I assume that I do not need data from Lucky since I already have data with Koodo?

What else should I be aware of?

Thank you.
16 replies
Jun 2, 2010
592 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Tobsterboi wrote: ...

Will I still get calls from both numbers if I have Koodo as my main?

I assume that I do not need data from Lucky since I already have data with Koodo?

Only one SIM can be active at a time. If you're on a call with your personal Koodo line, your business SIM will be "off" for lack of a better word.

Lucky Mobile doesn't have Wi-Fi Calling unless you use their app, right? So it's not "real" Wi-Fi Calling.

If you are on a call with your business Lucky Mobile line, you can only use data from that Lucky Mobile line or Wi-Fi (since your Koodo line will be "off"). You can only use one cellular data network at a time.

Why not just get a simple phone for talking on your new business Lucky Mobile line, and keep your existing Samsung Galaxy S9+ on Koodo for personal use?
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2271 posts
419 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
TheNightOwl wrote: Only one SIM can be active at a time. If you're on a call with your personal Koodo line, your business SIM will be "off" for lack of a better word.

Lucky Mobile doesn't have Wi-Fi Calling unless you use their app, right? So it's not "real" Wi-Fi Calling.

If you are on a call with your business Lucky Mobile line, you can only use data from that Lucky Mobile line or Wi-Fi (since your Koodo line will be "off"). You can only use one cellular data network at a time.

Why not just get a simple phone for talking on your new business Lucky Mobile line, and keep your existing Samsung Galaxy S9+ on Koodo for personal use?
You likely misled OP. Pixel 3a and 4 support dual sim dual standby, which means you can use both lines simultaneously.
Jun 2, 2010
592 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
ma678 wrote: You likely misled OP. Pixel 3a and 4 support dual sim dual standby, which means you can use both lines simultaneously.
Dual standby does NOT mean dual active.

To quote Wikipedia:
Dual standby phones
When making or receiving calls, the modem locks to the active channel; the other channel would be ignored and thus unavailable during the duration of the call.
You're talking about Dual SIM Dual Active (DSDA) which is not common:
Dual SIM active phones or dual active (DSDA) phones, however, come with two transceivers, and are capable of receiving calls on both SIM cards, at the cost of increased battery consumption.[25][26] One example is the HTC Desire 600.[27]
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Jun 2, 2010
592 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
ma678 wrote: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209044
From above you can use both lines, no?
No.

Apple clearly says:

• 'Your iPhone can use one cellular data network at a time.'
• 'With iOS 13, when you're on a call, if the carrier for your other phone number supports Wi-Fi calling, you can answer incoming calls on your other number. ... If your carrier doesn't support Wi-Fi calling or you don't have Wi-Fi calling turned on,1 then when you're on a call, an incoming call on your other phone number will go to voicemail, if you have voicemail set up with your carrier.2 However, you won't get a missed-call notification from your secondary number. Call Waiting works for incoming calls on the same phone number.'

Lucky Mobile does not have true Wi-Fi Calling, just an app.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
TheNightOwl wrote: Why not just get a simple phone for talking on your new business Lucky Mobile line, and keep your existing Samsung Galaxy S9+ on Koodo for personal use?
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm actually trying to avoid carrying 2 phones on me at all times.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
@TheNightOwl @ma678 Thank you for your contribution.

While I'm on a call on either number the other goes directly to VM I'm ok with that. As long as during standby mode I can receive phone calls from either number that's good enough for me.

However I do have whatsapp on both numbers. Lets say when I have my koodo as my main. Can my lucky still receive whatsapp messages? and if so, which data plan would it come off? (Does pixel has dual app messenger like the S9+?)

What about text messages? will texting from both numbers stored into the same default texting app? if I want to send a text, will the phone ask me which number would I want to send it from?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1251 posts
2690 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tobsterboi wrote: @TheNightOwl @ma678 Thank you for your contribution.

While I'm on a call on either number the other goes directly to VM I'm ok with that. As long as during standby mode I can receive phone calls from either number that's good enough for me.

However I do have whatsapp on both numbers. Lets say when I have my koodo as my main. Can my lucky still receive whatsapp messages? and if so, which data plan would it come off? (Does pixel has dual app messenger like the S9+?)

What about text messages? will texting from both numbers stored into the same default texting app? if I want to send a text, will the phone ask me which number would I want to send it from?
Seeing if I can help....

Can you login to two phone numbers using the Whatsapp app? If you can stay logged into two Whatsapp accounts, both should work. As far as the data plan is concerned, you'll need to set one of your data plans as the default plans, and all apps will use data from that plan. The only exception to this is if you have a "Allow Cellular data switching" option on your phone and you enable it. I know DSDS capable iPhones do this, not sure about Android (maybe someone else can speak to this).

Text messaging on both lines should work. You should be able to select which line to send the text message from when composing a new message. Other people will also be able to text you on both lines without issues or special set up.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Mar 18, 2006
161 posts
109 upvotes
Or try this setup...

-If either line supports CF, forward 1 to 2 (forward based on usage, coverage, whatever your criteria)
- this way calls on both terminate on one line, one mailbox
- define your default data line (maybe calls come to line 1 and data is used by line 2)
- leave defaults to outgoing calls and SMS “blank” (I.e. pick a line every time)

This would probably get you the same, for probably the least headaches.

I’m looking at doing the same with PM (sim) and FM (eSIM). Will forward FM calls to PM to ensure no missed calls. Data usage on FM (LTE and bigger bucket). Text on either line.

PM will have $15 unlimited incoming plan
FM will have $60 10 GB plan (with F&F)
Jun 2, 2010
592 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
sprinter wrote: -If either line supports CF, forward 1 to 2 (forward based on usage, coverage, whatever your criteria)
- this way calls on both terminate on one line, one mailbox
OP's Lucky Mobile doesn't offer Call Forwarding at all:
Call forwarding

Unfortunately, call forwarding features are currently unavailable.
Koodo offers Call Forwarding as a $3 monthly add-on:
Call Forwarding

Call Forwarding can be added to your account for $3/month in Self Serve. 
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
vancityguy0 wrote: Seeing if I can help....

Can you login to two phone numbers using the Whatsapp app?
Yes currently on my samsung s9+ has a dual app messenger which allows you to have 2 separate whatsapp. Also I'm using whatsapp for business on my work line so basically its 2 different apps.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
sprinter wrote: Or try this setup...

-If either line supports CF, forward 1 to 2 (forward based on usage, coverage, whatever your criteria)
Great idea but I'd prefer not to have either number CF to the other. Thanks
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
I was checking my other options last night. Instead of having an esim phone I can also consider the samsung s9 or s10 dual sim phone. Seems like the idea is the same but I'd loose the capability of having extra memory.

Last question: Would I be able to turn off my business line completely having a DSDS device?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2271 posts
419 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Yes, every dsds device is able to turn off either line from settings.
Jul 15, 2003
421 posts
178 upvotes
Have you checked out a service like iPlum? It feels more stable than Fongo
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
644 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
SecretSauce wrote: Have you checked out a service like iPlum? It feels more stable than Fongo
no never heard of it i'll check it out. thanks!