• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2018 11:32 am
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes

Espresso Machine

I'm looking to buy an espresso machine for less than $250 (I know that doesn't give me many options).

I'm looking for something that'll last is all.

I'm torn between these 3 choices:
Delonghi EC685M
DeLonghi ECP3630
Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL

Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6020 posts
1515 upvotes
I really hate to say it but for the under $250 price range, your best bet is a Nespresso original line. Something like the Inissia + Aerocinno will give you much better quality espresso and lattes than those 3 machines.
https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/order/m ... ee-machine
https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/order/m ... no3-bundle

My Gran Maestria is so much more convenient and almost as good as my Rocky & Silvia that I haven't used Silvia in a long time...
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
rf134a wrote: I really hate to say it but for the under $250 price range, your best bet is a Nespresso original line. Something like the Inissia + Aerocinno will give you much better quality espresso and lattes than those 3 machines.
https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/order/m ... ee-machine
https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/order/m ... no3-bundle

My Gran Maestria is so much more convenient and almost as good as my Rocky & Silvia that I haven't used Silvia in a long time...
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't those machines need 'pods' that you have to buy separately and are expensive?
I'm not looking for a keurig type setup
Jun 4, 2006
588 posts
231 upvotes
GTA
I bought the Delonghi EC685M, I love it! Donated my Kuerig soon after.

Only regret I have though is I wished I spent the extra coin and got one with a burr grinder, but I'd have to spend a bit more and may get a subpar expresso machine.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6020 posts
1515 upvotes
Gord18Stirr wrote: Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't those machines need 'pods' that you have to buy separately and are expensive?
I'm not looking for a keurig type setup
Yes, they require pods.

One of the most important aspects of getting great espresso is the ability to achieve stable temperature at the group head. Most consumer level machines can't do this. It's one of the reasons why many of the higher end machines like the La Marzocco GS3 or even higher end Delonghi units have PID controllers.

Also, having consistent sized grinds is very important, so having a decent burr grinder is almost as important.

Nespresso takes out the most of the guess work and just works. Cost varies from 72c to $2/unit, depending on the origin and type of coffee. On average, a pound of coffee will yield 60 shots at 7g/shot. A great espresso like Intelligentsia Black Cat will run $18/lb or 30c/unit. The additional premium is so you don't have to buy a decent grinder and for consistent taste.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Sep 20, 2012
31 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
I sold my Saeco automatic and bought a Nespresso and never looked back!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton
Check out your local goodwill or Kijiji. The “barista” at my local Tim Hortons says he found one for $15.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12520 posts
7275 upvotes
Markham
Gord18Stirr wrote: I'm looking to buy an espresso machine for less than $250 (I know that doesn't give me many options).

I'm looking for something that'll last is all.

I'm torn between these 3 choices:
Delonghi EC685M
DeLonghi ECP3630
Breville Café Roma Espresso Machine ESP8XL

Thanks!
For $250. Search on Kijiji for used. Keep a running search going because if something good comes up, it don't usually last very long.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 3, 2006
142 posts
94 upvotes
bajanjamie1 wrote: I sold my Saeco automatic and bought a Nespresso and never looked back!

bajanjamie1 is correct. I have a Saeco Automatic that i adore (make about 5-6 pours a day, less than a dime a shot, id say)), and also have a Nespresso in the office and the up north..... the Nespresso is pretty fantastic and despite being 60-70 cents a capsule, the flavour and crema are greaaaaaaat (i like the Dulsao and the Dharkan).

Buying a machine used may be a bit sketchy, unless sits new in box.... however in that pricepoint, the Nespresso is pretty bang on.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1484 posts
553 upvotes
6oh wrote: bajanjamie1 is correct. I have a Saeco Automatic that i adore (make about 5-6 pours a day, less than a dime a shot, id say)), and also have a Nespresso in the office and the up north..... the Nespresso is pretty fantastic and despite being 60-70 cents a capsule, the flavour and crema are greaaaaaaat (i like the Dulsao and the Dharkan).

Buying a machine used may be a bit sketchy, unless sits new in box.... however in that pricepoint, the Nespresso is pretty bang on.
I actually went from a Nespresso to a Saeco automatic. I have no regrets to be honest. The downside of my automatic is that I cant get dark roast beans because they're too oily. Also there is more cleaning involved with the automatic machines, which I tend to neglect.