Esso Gift Card redemptions are indefinitely suspended for technical reasons

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 11:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
516 posts
554 upvotes

Esso Gift Card redemptions are indefinitely suspended for technical reasons

The Gift Card redemption system is down for Esso as of August 2-3, 2021. Agents have an ETA that they'll receive an update by Monday, Aug 9 (one tried to pitch this as when they expect the system to be up, but when pressed, admitted it was just an ETA for an update). If you're affected, all of your gift card funds will read as though they're on hold on any attempt to redeem them. (e.g. On Hold Funds = $40).

Gas station attendants in Vancouver had no idea what was going on.

If you have an old-school Esso Extras card, they will compensate you up to $20 in points if you express significant difficulty and push them. There is no compensation otherwise. They will typically not escalate to a supervisor if you ask.

You can call Esso at 1-866-527-2677. Unfortunately, in my experience, agents kept transferring me to other business lines (one time they did it mid-sentence).
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6491 posts
2498 upvotes
By old school you mean a physical gift card? I have a digital Esso gift card. Thanks for letting us know, appreciated
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
516 posts
554 upvotes
HP_John wrote: By old school you mean a physical gift card? I have a digital Esso gift card. Thanks for letting us know, appreciated
I used a physical gift card. They said it was ALL gift cards, but I don't know if that applies to digital gift cards or specific categories of gift cards. The agents didn't really have much clue what was going on or the extent of it (they could be lying), they just offered to write down my gift card number and make sure that it would be usable sometime in the future.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
516 posts
554 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I used a GC through Speedpass successfully Aug 2 evening in Markham. Anyone experiencing problems out east, or is this just out west?
I just added the physical gift card to Speedpass+ and the full balance is showing. I don't know if adding to Speedpass will bypass this, but I've filled up already for this week so can't test the waters.
Nov 5, 2008
1 posts
Surrey
Where does one go to buy the e gift card? Is there any discount on the card?
Apr 4, 2021
46 posts
97 upvotes
I've got a $100 card that I can't use. Any ideas on how to get my money back?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15259 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
robertbarker wrote: I've got a $100 card that I can't use. Any ideas on how to get my money back?
Explain “cant use”

* Card activated but cannot access (forgot PIN etc )
* Card activated but balance now seems to be $ 0
* Have the GC … but not interested in using the card (ie … no longer buying gas @ Esso, no longer own car etc )
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20661 posts
8152 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't experienced that at all and redeemed several times during that period, weird.
In Scarborough.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5614 posts
3134 upvotes
Omesuri wrote: The Gift Card redemption system is down for Esso as of August 2-3, 2021. Agents have an ETA that they'll receive an update by Monday, Aug 9 (one tried to pitch this as when they expect the system to be up, but when pressed, admitted it was just an ETA for an update). If you're affected, all of your gift card funds will read as though they're on hold on any attempt to redeem them. (e.g. On Hold Funds = $40).

Gas station attendants in Vancouver had no idea what was going on.

If you have an old-school Esso Extras card, they will compensate you up to $20 in points if you express significant difficulty and push them. There is no compensation otherwise. They will typically not escalate to a supervisor if you ask.

You can call Esso at 1-866-527-2677. Unfortunately, in my experience, agents kept transferring me to other business lines (one time they did it mid-sentence).
Are you sure it is not just your local Esso station? have you tried another Esso or Mobil station?
Apr 4, 2021
46 posts
97 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Explain “cant use”

* Card activated but cannot access (forgot PIN etc )
* Card activated but balance now seems to be $ 0
* Have the GC … but not interested in using the card (ie … no longer buying gas @ Esso, no longer own car etc )
sorry, i should have been more precise.
i bought the plastic card at a supermarket. i loaded it onto my speedpass+ app. it shows correctly in my wallet as having $100 balance.
when i go to the gas station, i choose the pump on the app, tap "authorize pump" and after a short wait, it gives me the message "we apologize. we were unable to process your payment. please select another card and retry."
i used a different card this way before and it worked without problem.
after doing some research, i see mention of "activation" but i didn't do that on the first card and it worked. i wasn't even aware of this. i found the esso page online and tried to activate this card online but i get another error message: "we're sorry. there was an error processing your request. Please call our contact center blah blah blah" okay, not the blah part.
i called the support line twice last week and they just really don't care. i will call this number today. they were closed yesterday.
the reason i use the gift cards is because i get 5x points on grocery store purchases and it adds up. but it isn't worth this much hassle. too bad shell and petro can don't let you use their gift cards at the pump. i'm not going to go inside every time just for the points.
i hope this is more clear. thanks.
Apr 4, 2021
46 posts
97 upvotes
UPDATE:
I just got through to somebody who seemed to know what's going on with these cards and was able to explain it to me. it seems to make sense based on what i've read here and elsewhere on the web.
the funds on my giftcard were being held due to suspected fraud.
the agent said the speedpass+ app requests a hold of $150 when you attempt to use a gift card to pay. since i only have $100 on the card, it suspects fraud and blocks the funds. she told me that the holds are released on tuesdays and thus the hold on my card will be released tomorrow (aug 24, 2021). i should go to the cashier to use the card so they can enter manually enter the amount into their system and it won't hold more than the card has.
i don't know if any of this is true but i will try the card again later this week and i'll report back here.
this seems to be a blatant error on the programming side. we'll see what happens next time i use the card.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15259 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
robertbarker wrote: UPDATE:
I just got through to somebody who seemed to know what's going on with these cards and was able to explain it to me. it seems to make sense based on what i've read here and elsewhere on the web.
the funds on my giftcard were being held due to suspected fraud.
the agent said the speedpass+ app requests a hold of $150 when you attempt to use a gift card to pay. since i only have $100 on the card, it suspects fraud and blocks the funds. she told me that the holds are released on tuesdays and thus the hold on my card will be released tomorrow (aug 24, 2021). i should go to the cashier to use the card so they can enter manually enter the amount into their system and it won't hold more than the card has.
i don't know if any of this is true but i will try the card again later this week and i'll report back here.
this seems to be a blatant error on the programming side. we'll see what happens next time i use the card.
Thx for the update.
Keep us posted
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4845 posts
3114 upvotes
LaLaLand
Maybe somebody or some group hacked the system or some of the pumps. I got free gas once when I paid with a gift card.

The next time I went to that gas station that pump was out of service.
Apr 4, 2021
46 posts
97 upvotes
batcave wrote: Maybe somebody or some group hacked the system or some of the pumps. I got free gas once when I paid with a gift card.
were you one of the people who had a $25 gift card and the pump kept pumping past $25? i've read about a couple of instances where this has occured.
i suspect that this might be related as it may have caused their IT dept to implement some restrictions and the code wasn't thoroughly tested.
this situation really bites since i was happy to find a way to use gift cards at the pump. if i have to go into the cashier, then it negates the use of the speedpass+ app. the problem is that the 5x points is very attractive, especially when converting to aeroplan.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4845 posts
3114 upvotes
LaLaLand
robertbarker wrote: were you one of the people who had a $25 gift card and the pump kept pumping past $25? i've read about a couple of instances where this has occured.
i suspect that this might be related as it may have caused their IT dept to implement some restrictions and the code wasn't thoroughly tested.
this situation really bites since i was happy to find a way to use gift cards at the pump. if i have to go into the cashier, then it negates the use of the speedpass+ app. the problem is that the 5x points is very attractive, especially when converting to aeroplan.
Yes that sounds about right. I only had a small amount left on the gift card and wanted to use it up. I started the pump and then proceeded to clean my windows. It didn't click off for some time. When it did stop, I realized it has filled the tank. It was a fair amount because my tank was near empty and I use high octane. Pretty amazing.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
516 posts
554 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Are you sure it is not just your local Esso station? have you tried another Esso or Mobil station?
The issue has been resolved for most people but why would the Esso gift card line tell me that the whole system was down if it's just the three local Esso stations in my area?

Are you claiming there's a conspiracy going on? Sorry, really not sure what you're getting at.