• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2019 11:04 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7577 posts
3668 upvotes

Esso Gift Cards - how to deal with small balances

Through purchasing a variety of Esso gift cards (due to different promotions on e-bates, Buytopia, etc.), I have amassed several Esso gift cards (some reloadable, some not) that all have small balances on them that are one dollar or less. It seems like wasted money to just throw these cards away but when I try to use them at the pump, the pump won't accept them. Is there a way that I can transfer all of the small unused balances to one card? I am just curious what others have done as the small balances seem to result from using the card in conjunction with a 2 cents off per litre card. The remaining amount always seems equal to the 2 cent discount. For example, if I use my Esso gift card to put in 50L of gas, the remainder on my Esso gift card is the $1 I would have saved by using the 2 cents off per litre.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8708 posts
3167 upvotes
Toronto
Don't use at the pump. Go inside to pay with them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5439 posts
2643 upvotes
Global Village
Hi there, I'd like to pay with 15 esso gift cards please..

Sorry, we're closed...
All day I dream about sports
Jul 29, 2007
239 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
Obviously they're not going to be too happy with you paying with 15 gift cards.
Fill up regularly, go inside and pay with one gift card and pay the rest however you want.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3246 posts
1784 upvotes
choclover wrote: Through purchasing a variety of Esso gift cards (due to different promotions on e-bates, Buytopia, etc.), I have amassed several Esso gift cards (some reloadable, some not) that all have small balances on them that are one dollar or less. It seems like wasted money to just throw these cards away but when I try to use them at the pump, the pump won't accept them. Is there a way that I can transfer all of the small unused balances to one card? I am just curious what others have done as the small balances seem to result from using the card in conjunction with a 2 cents off per litre card. The remaining amount always seems equal to the 2 cent discount. For example, if I use my Esso gift card to put in 50L of gas, the remainder on my Esso gift card is the $1 I would have saved by using the 2 cents off per litre.
you can ask if you can pay one transaction with multiple gcs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5557 posts
2779 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you have speed pass app you can do transactions in smaller amounts
Just load them all before you go.
  • Zoomer Wireless
  • Public Mobile
  • Simplii
  • Tangerine
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2036 posts
1505 upvotes
GTA
I recall in the GTA area, Esso could take up to 5 cards in a transaction. Mind you the points card is one, the discount card is another...

I would:
Pump and pay inside
Use two small gift cards,
Then pay with a credit card
Repeat each time till you have disposed of all your cards.
Jul 24, 2012
682 posts
101 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: you can ask if you can pay one transaction with multiple gcs.
Non of the gas stations in our area are able to accept more than 1 gift card in a transaction even paying inside. It doesn't make sense. It used to be able to, but not anymore.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3246 posts
1784 upvotes
Dealfinder111 wrote: Non of the gas stations in our area are able to accept more than 1 gift card in a transaction even paying inside. It doesn't make sense. It used to be able to, but not anymore.
then you have to do multiple transactions to use up them. for each transaction, ask cashier for preauthorization for the amt left on each card, then go out to pump your gas. come back & repeat the same thing for all cards left.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7577 posts
3668 upvotes
It would be ideal if there was a way to transfer all of the small balances on to one Esso gift card but it doesn't sound like that is possible. The closest suggestion is the one above from Wpegger that involves using the SpeedPass app.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4008 posts
1171 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
why let the card get such small balances in the first place? when i fill up i want to get rid of the card, i do not leave the card with like 30 cents and if there is 30 cents left, i will buy a chocolate bar or something from the store to just help to kill the card. this is the mentality someone should have
Hi