Automotive

Esso gift cards for Mobil gas?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 9:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3012 posts
1434 upvotes
Whitehorse

Esso gift cards for Mobil gas?

Hello,

a friend has received a $500 gift card for Esso. Nice. The problem: There is no Esso gas station within several days drive.

There is, however, a Mobil gas station. Can he use his Esso gift card there?
If not, can he load the Esso gift card into the Speedpass App and then use it at the Mobil station?

TNX
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2370 posts
3088 upvotes
I'd assume it is flexible for use at either Esso or Mobil branded stations - both are licensed brands o Imperial Oil; and physical gift cards you'd buy know have both logos on them; and both use the same speedpass app.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3332 posts
955 upvotes
Vaughan
Why doesn't your friend just stop at the mobil gas station and go inside and ask the guy that works inside the gas station? It literally would take like a minute as most.

If they don't accept it, then try an online service like cardswap.ca. You lose some of the value of the card, but you get cash in return, and the card was free anyways.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2001
6276 posts
1033 upvotes
sokolov wrote: Hello,

a friend has received a $500 gift card for Esso. Nice. The problem: There is no Esso gas station within several days drive.

There is, however, a Mobil gas station. Can he use his Esso gift card there?
If not, can he load the Esso gift card into the Speedpass App and then use it at the Mobil station?

TNX
Should be fine, but call/visit the station and just double check.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15102 upvotes
phuviano wrote: Why doesn't your friend just stop at the mobil gas station and go inside and ask the guy that works inside the gas station? It literally would take like a minute as most.
Yeah but in Whitehorse it probably takes an hour to get there LOL.

But yeah looks like usable at either.
https://www.esso.ca/en-ca/gas-gift-cards

I dunno about Whitehorse but Mobil branded stations are a pretty new thing in Ontario. I guess they finally decided to start using the same branding as in the US, which I don't know why they didn't do ages ago.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2385 posts
1878 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah but in Whitehorse it probably takes an hour to get there LOL.

But yeah looks like usable at either.
https://www.esso.ca/en-ca/gas-gift-cards

I dunno about Whitehorse but Mobil branded stations are a pretty new thing in Ontario. I guess they finally decided to start using the same branding as in the US, which I don't know why they didn't do ages ago.
Imperial Oil licensed the Mobil brand to a fuel distributor.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2370 posts
3088 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: Imperial Oil licensed the Mobil brand to a fuel distributor.
Esso trademark is owned by Imperial Oil in Canada.
Imperial Oil is about 70% owned by ExxonMobil.
Mobil trademark is owned by ExxonMobil and assigned to Imperial Oil in Canada.

Mobil service station brand is licensed to Global Fuels in Canada.
Global Fuels sublicenses the Mobil brand to BG Fuels at Loblaw's locations.
BG Fuels is part of UK-based Greenergy (merged last year).
Loblaws service station business was originally sold in 2017 to Brookfield Business Partners who made the branding deal with ExxonMobil/Imperial Oil.
Brookfield is the financial backer for both BG Fuels and Greenergy.

Esso service station brand is licensed to multiple companies across Canada (Couche-Tard, 7-Eleven, Parkland Fuel, Harnois Groupe pétrolier, Husky Energy, Wilson Fuel).
As of October 2020, Imperial Oil neither owns nor operates any retail service stations.

Imperial Oil still controls the MARKETING for Esso and Mobil branded stations.

Top