Automotive

Esso gives worse mileage than Petro Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 11:06 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton

Esso gives worse mileage than Petro Canada?

We've been filling up with Petro Canada regularly ever since the RBC 3¢ off per litre offer came out.

Last two times we filled up at Esso and our average fuel usage went up.

It went from 9.0L/100km to 9.1L/100km. This is making me concerned. Maybe 0.1L/100km doesn't make much of a difference but this is the average fuel economy.

Anyone have the same experience? Esso specifically advertises better fuel economy with Synergy technology.
33 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
It's highly unlikely that you controlled your conditions 100%, so your results are meaningless.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Anecdotal and totally non scientific, but I swear I get worse mileage when I fill at Superstore vs Costco.
I still didn't control conditions, but I tend to get about 5% less when I settle for Superstore.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
My Dad says stuff like this. Swears by it actually.

I could see performance differences between grades of fuel, I can't really argue with that, but between companies, it's a little harder. No idea, to be honest.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
tablo13 wrote: It went from 9.0L/100km to 9.1L/100km.
You're talking about a difference of about 1%. This is more likely explained by changes in which way the wind was blowing than differences between fuel.
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Maybe you have been preheating your car a couple extra minutes because it’s been so cold?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
I have heard similar things from a couple of people as well. Both say they get better mileage with Petro Canada
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
In many areas, the gas all comes from the same place. You also can't compare after 2 tanks of gas. Especially in winter. Especially if you have had snow.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2356 posts
1999 upvotes
Halifax
djeffery wrote: In many areas, the gas all comes from the same place. You also can't compare after 2 tanks of gas. Especially in winter. Especially if you have had snow.
Agreed.
Here in the Maritimes - since the Esso refinery closed in Dartmouth - MOST gas stations buy from the Irving Refinery in St John NB.
So - typically the trucks for Petro Can and Ultramar pick up there.
Shell may truck down from the Montreal refinery but typically no - especially in the Winter.
Esso may buy from Irving OR they may ship it in from in oil tankers from Montrel and fill up tanks. This depends on Ice Conditions in the St. Lawrence and above.
So it may or may not be "Esso " gas.
I imagine Costco and Mobil and Wilson's all buy from whoever is cheaper - including the transport to their station.
There are also "Milk Runs" where a desginated Quebec or Ontario tanker truck may fill up gas station tanks starting in NB and see how far they get.

I am not sure where you are and if this is a viable argument.

I have a Prius and I can have remarkably different mileage in a given week depending on how I drive it and where I am driving
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: We've been filling up with Petro Canada regularly ever since the RBC 3¢ off per litre offer came out.

It went from 9.0L/100km to 9.1L/100km. This is making me concerned. Maybe 0.1L/100km doesn't make much of a difference but this is the average fuel economy.

Anyone have the same experience? Esso specifically advertises better fuel economy with Synergy technology.
Just throwing it out there, is it possible Esso puts more ethanol in its gas vs Petro? Ethanol has less energy than gasoline so there would a difference if, say, Esso's mix is 10% ethanol and Petro's is 5%.

I will say I have experienced the opposite -- I had an Esso gift card to use so I filled there, and I got better fuel economy using their gasoline vs Costco. However, in these parts Costco can be as much as 10 cents a litre cheaper than Esso so...
Jan 12, 2008
477 posts
283 upvotes
Gas comes from the same refinery. It's really just about branding
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Disciplinz wrote: Gas comes from the same refinery. It's really just about branding
Same refinery, but each station apparently adds their own additives.
What this does to fuel economy is beyond me.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Yes, as others have said, 0.1l/100km difference is totally meaningless.

However, I have noticed about 10% better gas mileage with Shell compared to others, but again not really a lab test under controlled conditions.
What was suggested once is that Shell uses less ethanol in their gas than others and that could account for better gas mileage.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
tablo13 wrote: We've been filling up with Petro Canada regularly ever since the RBC 3¢ off per litre offer came out.

The colder it gets, the worse the gas mileage will be. There are plenty of environmental factors like icy/snow, traffic, acceleration patterns, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
I only gas up at Petro Canada (w the 5¢ discount) ... OCTANE 91 on my tuned 15 Lancer.

I haven't touched Esso since I experienced bad engine starts in my old 2004 Lancer.

SUMMER: approx. 14.5-15.5km/L
WINTER: approx. 12.2-13.6km/L
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13102 upvotes
Too many variables. The only thing for sure is that the more ethanol content, the worse mileage you will get.

Also, don't do comparison in winter. Weather isn't stable enough for baseline. And always do 3 tanks of each and do an average.
Oct 13, 2010
699 posts
133 upvotes
[...] 0.1 L/100km literally is within margin of error.

My 19 Camry hybrid gets 5.2 but it could be +/- 0.5

Too many factors.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 12th, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Mar 2, 2012
193 posts
301 upvotes
MILTON
I took my truck to the dealer because it was losing power for a second, like a hiccup or something.
The first thing Ford mechanic asked me if I am using Esso gas. I couldn't believe my ears, up to that point I was only using Esso. He told me this is because of additives in Esso gas. He also said sometimes they have to take the water out of the gas tank.
I switched to Petro and after 2-3 filling those hiccups stopped.
I get better avg with Petro gas.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
jikiji626 wrote: I took my truck to the dealer because it was losing power for a second, like a hiccup or something.
The first thing Ford mechanic asked me if I am using Esso gas. I couldn't believe my ears, up to that point I was only using Esso. He told me this is because of additives in Esso gas. He also said sometimes they have to take the water out of the gas tank.
I switched to Petro and after 2-3 filling those hiccups stopped.
I get better avg with Petro gas.
That's more likely related to the station you usually fill up at, not one specific brand.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I recently put in couple of tankful of esso super 91 and I noticed my gas consumption mileage has gotten a bit worse, about 1.5l/100km compared to my normal Shell91.

Back to my trusted shell gas from now on. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)