• Feb 2nd, 2018 6:09 pm
Tags:
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19627 posts
7009 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I wouldn't really trust these to be accurate especially after some time passes and would never use one for anything high voltage (not going to trust a chinese model designed to be as cheap as possible not to explode on me), but I guess if you just want a rough idea of low voltage/battery related stuff it would be fine.

I got a new Fluke 113 for a hundred bucks for basic stuff a while ago, and have a Fluke 179 I got for close to $100 used in great shape. I'd rather have one of these that will last the rest of your life and be completely safe and accurate over buying 6 no-name multimeters that might not be very accurate even when brand new and likely just crap out after a couple of years. And yes, I have personal experience with cheap multimeters just not lasting.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2091 posts
2369 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BinaryJay wrote: I wouldn't really trust these to be accurate especially after some time passes and would never use one for anything high voltage (not going to trust a chinese model designed to be as cheap as possible not to explode on me), but I guess if you just want a rough idea of low voltage/battery related stuff it would be fine.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This was me LITERALLY last week!

Needed to read voltage in the car and finally took out the still never used/brand new Etekcity multimeter we bought in 2016.

The pins I was trying to test gave a worrying reading with Etek, so tried it again on the car battery which gave a nuts reading, and figured to test the multimeter out and tried it on both fresh batteries and wall outlet. Batteries and wall read waaay out of what they should be lol Immediately bought a $29.99 one from Canadian tire and tested it out on both the AAA and the wall outlet, both gave me readings matching their standard numbers and ended up having to use the CdnTire one for the rest of the day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5721 posts
7175 upvotes
It must be description error, where is the clamp ?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2114 posts
1338 upvotes
Markham
I don't know about this one but I bought this for $20 a year ago and works ok so far.

Tacklife Digital Multimeter 2000 Counts Auto-Ranging Multi Tester with Non Contact Voltage Test Volt Amp Ohm Meter with Diode and Continuity Test | DM02A https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MS1CVQN/ref ... DAbNKMC5VQ
-------
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
lcmt wrote: It must be description error, where is the clamp ?
Exactly, there is no clamp.

While these cheap meters are accurate when used properly, a weakness I've found with them is that their reading gets inaccurate as soon as their internal batteries start to wear out. So this one uses a 9V battery - you can bet that its voltage readings will go wonky as soon at that drops below 9v.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19627 posts
7009 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
blackston3 wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This was me LITERALLY last week!

Needed to read voltage in the car and finally took out the still never used/brand new Etekcity multimeter we bought in 2016.

The pins I was trying to test gave a worrying reading with Etek, so tried it again on the car battery which gave a nuts reading, and figured to test the multimeter out and tried it on both fresh batteries and wall outlet. Batteries and wall read waaay out of what they should be lol Immediately bought a $29.99 one from Canadian tire and tested it out on both the AAA and the wall outlet, both gave me readings matching their standard numbers and ended up having to use the CdnTire one for the rest of the day.
You were brave to try to measure 120V AC with one of these man.
Sep 13, 2007
43 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I also got a Tacklife meter a few months ago. It's definitely packed with features but it's also cheaply made. It works ok for the price. But I won't trust it with 120v applications. Before the tacklife, I trashed a Canadian Tire meter that gave false continuity readings. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1560 posts
1298 upvotes
Toronto
This will tell you that your house is either 119 or 121 volts. That's it.