• Apr 17th, 2020 9:22 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 27, 2019
43 posts
31 upvotes

ETF's with no ROC (2019)

Hello!

I would like to compile a list of non-fixed income ETF's with/without ROC (Return of Capital) per share, for ease of taxes when it comes to index investing. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but I haven't been able to find one like it with the search function. Now it's always important to verify for yourself and after compiling this list it appears that just because a fund didn't pay out a ROC in one year, it won't for another year. These are all from Vanguard and all others are welcome to be added, this is just a starting point.

How I found these: https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individua ... ty/?prices
then scroll down to "Annual distributions" and I am listing the amount for the 2019 year.

Let me start the Without ROC List for 2019:
Canada Index ETF (VCE)
Developed All Cap ex U.S. Index ETF (VDU)
Developed All Cap ex U.S. Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VEF)
Developed Asia Pacific All Cap Index ETF (VA)
Developed Asia Pacific All Cap Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VAH)
Developed Europe All Cap Index ETF (VE)
Developed ex North America High Dividend Yield Index ETF (VIDY)
Global All Cap ex Canada Index ETF (VXC)
U.S. Dividend Appreciation Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VGH)
U.S. Total Market Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VUS)

With ROC:
Canada All Cap Index ETF (VCN) 2019 ROC- $0.030530
Canadian Capped REIT Index ETF (VRE) 2019 ROC- $0.693620
Canadian High Dividend Yield Index ETF (VDY) 2019 ROC - $0.000420
Developed All Cap ex North America Index ETF (VIU) 2019 ROC - $0.002430
Developed All Cap ex North America Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VI) 2019 ROC - $0.001300
Developed Europe All Cap Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VEH) 2019 ROC - $0.001720
Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF (VEE) 2019 ROC - $0.001640
S&P 500 Index ETF (VFV) 2019 ROC - $0.000880
S&P 500 Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VSP) 2019 ROC - $0.000460
U.S. Dividend Appreciation Index ETF (VGG) 2019 ROC - $0.000160
U.S. Total Market Index ETF (VUN) 2019 ROC - $0.000760

P.S.- Literally after posting the last fund I clicked on This Link and it looks like a one stop shop for all of the above info! Anyways let's build up this database and this can help serve as a starting point for anyone interested in this information and where to find it.
Last edited by GerryFolds on Apr 16th, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Vanguard ETF ROC Distribution for 2019
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individua ... docId=6787
Blackrock ETF ROC Distribution for 2019
https://www.blackrock.com/ca/individual ... -en-ca.pdf
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2624 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I almost got excited about VCE (and wondered how did I miss it - was checking a bunch of Canadian equities ETFs last year, to potentially replace HXT when their tax advantage was challenged) Alas, no magic here - VCE didn’t pay RoC in 2019, 2017, 2013 and 2011, but did pay it in all other years.. sigh
[OP]
Jul 27, 2019
43 posts
31 upvotes
freilona wrote: I almost got excited about VCE (and wondered how did I miss it - was checking a bunch of Canadian equities ETFs last year, to potentially replace HXT when their tax advantage was challenged) Alas, no magic here - VCE didn’t pay RoC in 2019, 2017, 2013 and 2011, but did pay it in all other years.. sigh
Yes that was very apparent while going through these distribution sheets, it will be very hard to predict if a fund will pay ROC out. Really this is just a starting point for ease of research. Also I edited the title and bolded an important statement in the original post!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1349 posts
1775 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
What's so hard about RoC? It's listed on my T3s and Summary of Trust Income from my broker. You have to track ACB anyway, so subtract any RoC paid from your total ACB. I'd rather do that than pick funds that aren't the best for me just to avoid some minor bookkeeping.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2624 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Deepwater wrote: You have to track ACB anyway []
Not for Horizons Total Return ETFs or individual stocks (except REITs) that are held in one account :) I don’t mind minor bookkeeping, but afraid it’d be too much for my husband if something were to happen to me.. What about your wife - do you think she’ll find your ACB records and will know how to continue or would have to hire someone to do it? Serious question as I keep contemplating what’s worse :)
Feb 29, 2020
36 posts
31 upvotes
Is it possible for funds to forbid ROCs in their prospectus?
Jul 1, 2006
635 posts
431 upvotes
Deepwater wrote: What's so hard about RoC? It's listed on my T3s and Summary of Trust Income from my broker. You have to track ACB anyway, so subtract any RoC paid from your total ACB. I'd rather do that than pick funds that aren't the best for me just to avoid some minor bookkeeping.
The one thing that is missing on the T3/summary of income (at least from CIBC IE) is the reinvested distributions that often happen at year end. It annoys me that they can get all of the RoC data down in one nice summary for the year, but miss that. You are paying taxes on that reinvested distribution and if you fail to adjust the cost base upwards you will get double taxed when you eventually sell. While it isn't really ROC per-se, it is one more thing to track and be aware of.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1441 posts
1623 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Deepwater wrote: What's so hard about RoC? It's listed on my T3s and Summary of Trust Income from my broker. You have to track ACB anyway, so subtract any RoC paid from your total ACB. I'd rather do that than pick funds that aren't the best for me just to avoid some minor bookkeeping.
Yes, it may be a minor bookkeeping item for YOU (and me) but for majority of investors, they have a difficult time staying in the market as is. The last thing we want is to complicate things further.

Also, if you're leveraging to invest by borrowing from your HELOC, make sure your records are super clear in order to ensure you're paying the correct amount of taxes.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: XIC

It's really that simple.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1349 posts
1775 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
freilona wrote: Not for Horizons Total Return ETFs or individual stocks (except REITs) that are held in one account :) I don’t mind minor bookkeeping, but afraid it’d be too much for my husband if something were to happen to me.. What about your wife - do you think she’ll find your ACB records and will know how to continue or would have to hire someone to do it? Serious question as I keep contemplating what’s worse :)
You still have to track ACB for all capital assets held in non-registered accounts, just stocks and non-distribution paying funds like HXT won't have RoC or Phantom Distributions. If you sold HXT last year you would still need to report any capital gain.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1349 posts
1775 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
sckor wrote: The one thing that is missing on the T3/summary of income (at least from CIBC IE) is the reinvested distributions that often happen at year end. It annoys me that they can get all of the RoC data down in one nice summary for the year, but miss that. You are paying taxes on that reinvested distribution and if you fail to adjust the cost base upwards you will get double taxed when you eventually sell. While it isn't really ROC per-se, it is one more thing to track and be aware of.
Yes it is one of those mysteries that RoC is on T3s, but reinvested distributions are not reported on any tax slips. It might be that CRA requires RoC reported since it lowers ACB and if you don't track it you will under pay your taxes when selling. They don't care so much about reinvested distributions since not tracking it means the govt gets more taxes. (And they're gonna need all they can get.)

Reinvested distributions do appear on my TDDI statements, the March 2020 statement for 2019 distributions. They appear like a cash distribution paid offset by a DRIP of the same $ value (but with no change in the number of shares held).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2624 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Deepwater wrote: If you sold HXT last year you would still need to report any capital gain.
I did sell HXT, but didn’t have to do any manual ACB calculations/adjustments - Questeade’s records were very accurate (they even deducted commissions for me from the sell proceeds! Dunno if other brokerages do it as well, was pleasantly surprised) So it was literally just entering 2 numbers (book value and sell value) from the tax form they provided into Turbotax :)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1349 posts
1775 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
freilona wrote: I did sell HXT, but didn’t have to do any manual ACB calculations/adjustments - Questeade’s records were very accurate (they even deducted commissions for me from the sell proceeds! Dunno if other brokerages do it as well, was pleasantly surprised) So it was literally just entering 2 numbers (book value and sell value) from the tax form they provided into Turbotax :)
Yes, similar with TDDI. Their ACBs are usually accurate and I get a T5008 when I sell that includes book value and proceeds of distribution. I have heard that ACB may not be correct if securities are transferred in kind from other brokers or journaled between USD and CAD accounts.

My left-brained engineering mind tells me to track it in a spreadsheet and keep all my trade confirmations anyway, in case the gummint comes knocking. :rolleyes: