• May 31st, 2021 1:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal

Ethical Purchasing allowed

Discussing where products are sourced and if and why you should or should not buy the products should be allowed in hot deals. This includes uyghur made or internationally unrecognized israelli illegal settlements or anything else that might be made with child labour etc.,,.

The same goes for products that have a negative impact on the environment.

Its not a hot deal if its been made with oppression and i want to know
29 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
thesubmitter wrote: Discussing where products are sourced and if and why you should or should not buy the products should be allowed in hot deals. This includes uyghur made or internationally unrecognized israelli illegal settlements or anything else that might be made with child labour etc.,,.

Sounds like you are making political decisions?
And who determines what is ethical and not? You?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Pete_Coach wrote: Sounds like you are making political decisions?
And who determines what is ethical and not? You?
No, people can make their own decisions but identifying products that have controversial sources lets people be more informed. You may or may not care if something is made in a sweatshop, just a matter of sharing the information.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14734 posts
10884 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Who has the time to find out the background of a product? I mean is that Rice Cooker from China made by slaves? Is that Wallet made in China made by slaves?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1558 posts
906 upvotes
Discussion? yes. In Hot Deals? no.

I agree there are concerns with sourcing. Like Pete_Coach said, who's determines where the line in the sand is?
If you think all products with a 'negative impact on the environment' shouldn't be purchased, you're in for a rough awakening.

If you want to make a difference, post more deals from companies you feel are ethical.
thesubmitter wrote: Discussing where products are sourced and if and why you should or should not buy the products should be allowed in hot deals. This includes uyghur made or internationally unrecognized israelli illegal settlements or anything else that might be made with child labour etc.,,.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Who has the time to find out the background of a product? I mean is that Rice Cooker from China made by slaves? Is that Wallet made in China made by slaves?
Not obliging people to mention the source , but if people know whats thr harm of sharing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
thesubmitter wrote: Not obliging people to mention the source , but if people know whats thr harm of sharing.
Sharing what?
Your opinion of what is harmful or unethical or my opinion or someone else's opinion??
For instance, if it ss a culture that has child labour to support a family that is immensely poor....is it unethical or is it a way of staying alive? Not defending ,just asking what is right or wrong in their culture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Chickennbeans wrote: Discussion? yes. In Hot Deals? no.

I agree there are concerns with sourcing. Like Pete_Coach said, who's determines where the line in the sand is?
If you think all products with a 'negative impact on the environment' shouldn't be purchased, you're in for a rough awakening.

If you want to make a difference, post more deals from companies you feel are ethical.
You are missing the point, it isnt about sharing value judgements. Its about sharing information about sourcing and not having posts deleted
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1558 posts
906 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote: You are missing the point, it isnt about sharing value judgements. Its about sharing information about sourcing and not having posts deleted
Unless that point qualifies it for grants or further discounts, that's not what hot deals is for.
Are you going to post about the carbon emissions in every cruise and flight deal?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
thesubmitter wrote: You are missing the point, it isnt about sharing value judgements. Its about sharing information about sourcing and not having posts deleted
No one is missing your point. You are asking for "if and why you should or should not buy the products should be allowed in hot deals". You are insinuating that whatever your opinion of unethical should not be allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
thesubmitter wrote: Not obliging people to mention the source , but if people know whats thr harm of sharing.
I think this would be a good discussion topic somewhere, but a terrible Hot Deals inclusion.
Also the fact that people aren't obliged to mention the source, uh, what? So would every post have a disclaimer, such as:

*This product is potentially sourced and/or manufactured and/or contains parts from and/or exported from an unethical/politically corrupt regime. Buyer beware!*

So is it the Communists? The West Bank? Jeffrey Epstein? That vague statement would then apply to 90% of RFD's Hot Deals in some way, shape or form. And rather than inform, it would only confuse.
I applaud your desire to be informed, and you should do that and make your own ethical choices, but including that info in a Hot Deals thread would kill the site.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Chickennbeans wrote: Unless that point qualifies it for grants or further discounts, that's not what hot deals is for.
Are you going to post about the carbon emissions in every cruise and flight deal?
I disagree, something that doesnt meet my personal value system as ethical wouldnt qualify as a good deal (ex: conflict diamonds) for me personally and if somebody has information to share on that, i would like them not be censored.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Pete_Coach wrote: You are insinuating that whatever your opinion of unethical should not be allowed.
Clearly you are missing my point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
BernardRyder wrote: I think this would be a good discussion topic somewhere, but a terrible Hot Deals inclusion.
Also the fact that people aren't obliged to mention the source, uh, what? So would every post have a disclaimer, such as:

*This product is potentially sourced and/or manufactured and/or contains parts from and/or exported from an unethical/politically corrupt regime. Buyer beware!*

So is it the Communists? The West Bank? Jeffrey Epstein? That vague statement would then apply to 90% of RFD's Hot Deals in some way, shape or form. And rather than inform, it would only confuse.
I applaud your desire to be informed, and you should do that and make your own ethical choices, but including that info in a Hot Deals thread would kill the site.
People are free to mention whateve they want. Debate over if such and such method of production IS unethical is not for hot deals (we agree on that point)

ATM, RFD seems to be censoring
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
thesubmitter wrote: People are free to mention whateve they want. Debate over if such and such method of production IS unethical is not for hot deals (we agree on that point)

ATM, RFD seems to be censoring
Censoring people from doing what you suggest? I mean, it's a private site, so they can set the rules and remove posts accordingly. I know some posters in this thread complain about that sort of thing constantly, and likely don't share the same political leanings as you do.
If the site interests you, participate within the confines of its rules. If not, find (or found) a similar site that will allow you to exist more comfortably. And I'm not dismissing you with that statement, I'm just trying to say there is no nirvana, only what you make of it.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
thesubmitter wrote: Clearly you are missing my point.
Not at all. I do not believe you have a point, only a personal moral direction and opinion.
I suggest you live by your "rules" and let others live by theirs.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1558 posts
906 upvotes
Then you can vote and indicate that the retailer has a poor reputation.

This isn't a board to facilitate protesting (or so I believe).
thesubmitter wrote: I disagree, something that doesnt meet my personal value system as ethical wouldnt qualify as a good deal (ex: conflict diamonds) for me personally and if somebody has information to share on that, i would like them not be censored.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
Chickennbeans wrote: Then you can vote and indicate that the retailer has a poor reputation.

This isn't a board to facilitate protesting (or so I believe).
You can downvote and choose Other, but on mobile at least I don't see an option to add a reason
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
BernardRyder wrote: Censoring people from doing what you suggest? I mean, it's a private site, so they can set the rules and remove posts accordingly. I know some posters in this thread complain about that sort of thing constantly, and likely don't share the same political leanings as you do.
If the site interests you, participate within the confines of its rules. If not, find (or found) a similar site that will allow you to exist more comfortably. And I'm not dismissing you with that statement, I'm just trying to say there is no nirvana, only what you make of it.
Yes, it is a private site. Legally speaking facebook is a private site and they have to adhere to standards and not curtail free speech. I agree its not an apples to apples comparison (rfd has forums for that thing etc...) but its ok to suggest what i believe would be an improvement in my eyes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2356 posts
2277 upvotes
Montréal
Pete_Coach wrote: Not at all. I do not believe you have a point, only a personal moral direction and opinion.
I suggest you live by your "rules" and let others live by theirs.
If i say “hot deal on xyz: might be sourced from in african areas where conflict diamonds are mined.”

I am not making a value judgement in that post on the whether conflict diamond mining is good or bad. If you don’t care then no sweat off your back and if you do care then you can make a better informed decision.