270 upvotes
Ottawa

40% Discount for buying Etihad Guest miles

Deal Link:
Expiry:
April 7, 2020
Retailer:
Etihad
Example redemption fare: Prague-Seoul Business class for $312 USD ($442CAD) according to Rewards Canada

Courtesy of a poster in this thread. "Also, some sweet spots for redemption can be found at prince of travel
Last edited by xxxronjames on Apr 2nd, 2020 8:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
30 replies
Apr 20, 2017
253 posts
337 upvotes
Montreal
Hahahahahaha!
Upvoting for the comedy
most things haven't worked out
[OP]
Apr 18, 2017
566 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
contva wrote: Hahahahahaha!
Upvoting for the comedy
Why? Points are valid for 2 years.

Just like Aeroplan, the base redemption rate is s**t, but there are great deals to use for these points.
Jun 15, 2019
331 posts
291 upvotes
Can someone explain to us how this works and whether this site is legit?
May 1, 2011
656 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone explain to us how this works and whether this site is legit?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22231 posts
167872 upvotes
GTA
Site is definitely legit, but the question is, how many airlines are going to be around by the time you actually want to book a trip AND even if they are still around, who knows what is going to happen to the redemption rates for each / if these partnerships are even still going to be in place? Too many unknowns at the moment IMO...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4873 posts
6914 upvotes
Vancouver
toguy wrote: Site is definitely legit, but the question is, how many airlines are going to be around by the time you actually want to book a trip AND even if they are still around, who knows what is going to happen to the redemption rates for each / if these partnerships are even still going to be in place? Too many unknowns at the moment IMO...
Last time I heard about them, they were trimming their business and selling off some planes...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since joining RFD, I’ve discovered that buying low end junk for cheap means you've just wasted the money that you could have put toward some better stuff….!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1827 posts
10511 upvotes
xxxronjames wrote: Why? Points are valid for 2 years.

Just like Aeroplan, the base redemption rate is s**t, but there are great deals to use for these points.
Nobody knows what the global economy will look like after this is over - companies will be looking for legal ways to cut corners and devaluing reward "points" systems like Aeroplan, Etihad Miles, etc are an easy very legal target. There are no laws protecting the redemption rate of points - spending real money on these miles is very high risk right now.
Oct 13, 2016
358 posts
335 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Can I sell them my miles? I'll match their discount
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3522 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
Frankly who is going to travel without having taken a COVID-19 vaccine.. Nobody. And are we all going to rush to the first available one without any idea of side effects. Not sure, but this has properly messed up travel for me for a long time..

So while the discount may seem useful. I am not too sure any of us are going anywhere safely in 24 months. I can't even figure out if we'll safely travel in city..

Without a vaccine can you safely take public transit?

This has changed our world for some time.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1846 posts
868 upvotes
Home
shylok wrote: Frankly who is going to travel without having taken a COVID-19 vaccine.. Nobody. And are we all going to rush to the first available one without any idea of side effects. Not sure, but this has properly messed up travel for me for a long time..

So while the discount may seem useful. I am not too sure any of us are going anywhere safely in 24 months. I can't even figure out if we'll safely travel in city..

Without a vaccine can you safely take public transit?

This has changed our world for some time.
So... good deals for those who survived and are hopefully immune to the covid?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3522 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
I RFD wrote: So... good deals for those who survived and are hopefully immune to the covid?
Currently immunity isn't certain.. They're not sure if people can get it again.. And if you see what happens to some peoples lungs after covid.. No idea if they'll be travelling.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2385 posts
857 upvotes
YVR
Well considering 10 feet is much longer than 2 metres...
Zoomer
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1271 posts
726 upvotes
Etihad used to be amazing, travelled a few times business class (work paid lol) and the chef actually came to the seat to ask what i'd like to eat! sad to see them go down like this.
[*]
May 26, 2011
876 posts
674 upvotes
This may be a deal for somebody desperately trying to get home. CBC reported about a family stuck in India, it costs $3k per person for a repatriation flight one way via LHR.

Other than that... while I have a feeling Abu Dhabi won't allow Etihad to fail (they've been losing money, and what's one more?), the niche redemption like in the op may not work in the future: Czech may stop operating that route, and AFAIK that's the only one sweet spot redemption between Europe and Asia.

I'd have liked this thread more if the OP have investigated and published about the ease of booking process, ease of finding award spaces, and fees and taxes by operating partner airlines, more redemption sweet spots.

Like Aeroplan mini rtw are great on paper, many would question if it's worth their time and frustrations on how easy it is to reach agents to book the darn thing.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Jun 24, 2016
498 posts
512 upvotes
maverikbc wrote: This may be a deal for somebody desperately trying to get home. CBC reported about a family stuck in India, it costs $3k per person for a repatriation flight one way via LHR.

Other than that... while I have a feeling Abu Dhabi won't allow Etihad to fail (they've been losing money, and what's one more?), the niche redemption like in the op may not work in the future: Czech may stop operating that route, and AFAIK that's the only one sweet spot redemption between Europe and Asia.

I'd have liked this thread more if the OP have investigated and published about the ease of booking process, ease of finding award spaces, and fees and taxes by operating partner airlines, more redemption sweet spots.

Like Aeroplan mini rtw are great on paper, many would question if it's worth their time and frustrations on how easy it is to reach agents to book the darn thing.
I would agree with you but rewards space through Eithad can be challenging as many Skyteam flights only release 3-4 seats for award space, and there are far fewer flights running now with Covid-19.

Also, some sweet spots for redemption can be found at: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/7-quirk ... ihad-guest

My favourite redemptions include Gol Airlines in Brazil and Ko Samui-Bangkok in Thailand, both described in the blog post above.