None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3848 upvotes

EU doesn't expect Canada to meet visa deadline

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/eu-doesn-t ... -1.2850741

Those darn bulgarians and romanians and their bogus refugee claims eh?

Better go dust off my non-grata eastern European passport. Gonna need it when I go visit back. Which is funny cause I'm coming exactly from one of those 2 countries.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6265 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
That is just an excuse.
Canada has been makeing lots of money for instance charging commonwealth citizens for visas etc over the last 20+ years they also acquire a large cache of peoples personal information.
They have actually created an industry.
They are now going to get a taste of their own medicine.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4488 posts
460 upvotes
trini wrote: That is just an excuse.
Canada has been makeing lots of money for instance charging commonwealth citizens for visas etc over the last 20+ years they also acquire a large cache of peoples personal information.
They have actually created an industry.
They are now going to get a taste of their own medicine.
EU isn't commonwealth though.

India charges Canada and vice versa.
Hell even Australia requires a visa for Canadians. You just apply in advance though is my understanding.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
IceBlueShoes wrote: EU isn't commonwealth though.

India charges Canada and vice versa.
Hell even Australia requires a visa for Canadians. You just apply in advance though is my understanding.
It's just an entry tax in Australia. I am surprised Canada does not levy the same.
Left rfd
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Repercussions.
Sometimes things are done without thinking them through and what the consequences will be.
Having said that, let them require visas. What is the big deal. Just because we are Canadian we deserve some sort of "special" considerations? If it impacts their tourism or trade, they will reconsider. Besides, getting a visa nowadays is no big deal or effort.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3083 posts
325 upvotes
Mississauga
wohoo for dual citizenship, no impacts for me.
Mar 4, 2010
672 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
Messerschmitt wrote: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/eu-doesn-t ... -1.2850741

Those darn bulgarians and romanians and their bogus refugee claims eh?

Better go dust off my non-grata eastern European passport. Gonna need it when I go visit back. Which is funny cause I'm coming exactly from one of those 2 countries.
Most of people think that part of the world are only gypsy . I have dual citizenship to , so not worried at all . I am agree to impose visa both ways .
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16617 posts
2319 upvotes
ghighi wrote: Most of people think that part of the world are only gypsy . I have dual citizenship to , so not worried at all . I am agree to impose visa both ways .
There's inequity in the European Union with some countries being very rich and some very poor - it's hard to treat everyone the same especially from the poorer countries which have a track record of abuse.

Also, out of the half dozen times I've been to Europe, I've had close encounters with gypsy pickpockets; very annoying bunch, it's negative experiences like this that taint a person's perception of an entire group.
Mar 4, 2010
672 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
coolspot wrote: There's inequity in the European Union with some countries being very rich and some very poor - it's hard to treat everyone the same especially from the poorer countries which have a track record of abuse.
Imagine if we start to track how much abuse is already in Canada , in regards how visas are approved .
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4488 posts
460 upvotes
coolspot wrote: There's inequity in the European Union with some countries being very rich and some very poor - it's hard to treat everyone the same especially from the poorer countries which have a track record of abuse.

Also, out of the half dozen times I've been to Europe, I've had close encounters with gypsy pickpockets; very annoying bunch, it's negative experiences like this that taint a person's perception of an entire group.
I wouldn't go that far, but when you have a group that refuses to join mainstream society and wants to live on the fringes, it's hard to feel sympathy.

Not saying they deserve it, but that's the general notion I get from Europeans I`ve met when the topic comes up.

Sort of like "we're willing to help, but you have to make an effort too". It's a complex issue though and not one with a single solution.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7064 posts
1394 upvotes
Scarborough
if we remove the Visas, they will all end up here pretty much, and we'll have the same bogus claims as well as overstayers working cash jobs. Crime will increase too.

Keep the Visa on, and let them slap Visa on us. Let those Germans and Brits and French apply for Canada Visas. :lol:

Basically just accelerating the breakup of the EU due to crippled economies. And with visa requirements, European airlines can kiss a large fraction of their customers goodbye.
No more buying last minute or advance booking. First get Visa then book. Pretty sure only those who really need to go, or dual nationals will travel.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10389 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
We should keep giving visa waiver to the existing EU countries that already have it and let them require visa for Canadians. Their tourism industry will suffer while we still get their tourists' money.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3848 upvotes
transitguy1 wrote: if we remove the Visas, they will all end up here pretty much, and we'll have the same bogus claims as well as overstayers working cash jobs. Crime will increase too.
You have a false sense that Europeans would want to immigrate here. In case you haven't noticed, in the last 10 years, 90% of immigrants are 3rd world countries, and far in between euro descend. You think Bulgarians and Romanians are lining up getting passports with hopes that Canada drops visa requirements? Believe me, they don't give a ***** . The whole "occidental" euphoria in those countries finished long time ago after a few years they entered EU.

I personally am glad EU is sticking it to north america.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4488 posts
460 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote: We should keep the visa waiver for the existing EU countries that already have it and let them require visa for Canadians. Their tourism industry will suffer while we still get their tourists' money.
The problem is that it's considered all or nothing. They don't want it to be how it's ok for Spain/France, etc to come visa free, but Bulgaria and Romania have to apply for a visa, but they're EU members.

I would be fine with keeping it as is personally, but can see how they have to act per se.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5430 posts
1664 upvotes
Toronto
Aznsilvrboy wrote: We should keep giving visa waiver to the existing EU countries that already have it and let them require visa for Canadians. Their tourism industry will suffer while we still get their tourists' money.
LMAO - you think the EU - the most visited region in the planet, will miss the loss of tourists from a country as small and insignificant as Canada? Some Canadians are so delusional.

Romanians and Bulgarians have freedom of movement to anywhere in the EU - they could live and work in Paris, London, Madrid, Stockholm, etc etc (not to mention all the warmer cities)... all you people saying they are gonna come here and stay here are also delusional.

I think the vast majority of Canadians live in some brainwashed bubble thinking the whole world wants to migrate to Canada.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10389 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote: LMAO - you think the EU - the most visited region in the planet, will miss the loss of tourists from a country as small and insignificant as Canada? Some Canadians are so delusional.

Romanians and Bulgarians have freedom of movement to anywhere in the EU - they could live and work in Paris, London, Madrid, Stockholm, etc etc (not to mention all the warmer cities)... all you people saying they are gonna come here and stay here are also delusional.

I think the vast majority of Canadians live in some brainwashed bubble thinking the whole world wants to migrate to Canada.
lol, don't you know the US is having the same dispute with the EU as Canada? The combined efforts of the US and Canada (although mostly US) is enough to make a dent in the EU's tourism industry.
Five EU members – Britain, France, Italy, Germany and Spain – were among the top 10 countries that Canadians visited in 2013, accounting for a total of more than $1-billion of in-country spending, according to the most recent Statistics Canada data.
Let them lose out on the money. It's not like EU's economy needs any boost it can get right? :D
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
Haha... The UK used to have restrictions in place for Bulgarians and Romanians that they had to drop in the last year or two (UK is not part of the Schengen Agreement) and there was a lot of media hype surrounding lots of them coming into the UK and making use of their benefits. Nowadays, I don't think there was any proof that the doom and gloom that was predicted ever materialised.