• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 1:39 am
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes

European honeymoon ideas

Hello all

I am in the planning phase of my honeymoon and will pull the trigger and book by the end of September. Hoenymoon date will be beginning of Sep and planning to stay between 18 and 22 days.

Here is what i am thinking of (in brackets is just an example):

1- Destination 1: Relaxing and romantic. Mostly beaches (Santorini, Mykonos, Spanish city?, Italian City?, Nice)

2- Destination 2: Another romantic place but with more sightseeing (Venice, Brugges)

3- Destination 3: A city that will be my hub to drive to couple more cities (Prague-Vienna-Budapest, Zurich-Paris)

The logistics is a NIGHTMARE so i wanted some general advice on the following:

1- Best cities in each category above. Budget is important but i don't want to be cheap as well

2- If there are any routes between cities that are easier than others

3- Best intra europe airlines other than easyjet and ryanair and if anyone has good or bad experience with them

4- If crossing the border will be a problem with a rental car. I know that driving in italy requires international license for example but i am afraid if there are more unknowns i am unaware of

5- Any other general advice that can help me decide or plan (websites, tools, travel agencies although i believe i can do it cheaper)

Cheers
13 replies
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Congratulations!

If you are not planning to visit Europe anytime soon after your HM, you should visit more countries, otherwise, just stick with Greece!

Greece is lovely and it gives you the best value for your buck. And, you don't have to deal with the crazy Italian drivers! If you want to do some driving, get a car -- make sure you know manual -- on Santorini and Crete

Some exciting Islands include Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and Rhode (off the Turkish shore). 3-4 nights in each city would be relaxing and appropriate. You can throw in a night or two in Athens to see the Agora/Parthenon etc. and travel by bus to Meteora with its magnificent monasteries on the cliffs. History buffs might want to go to Delphi, which is a day trip.

Barcelona is also recommendable and also more enjoyable than Rome simply because you have fewer hecklers/scammers. Yes, they have pickpockets, but they aren't the aggressive criminals that you see in Italy!

I used Vuelling to go to Morocco, and the planes were very new. Please bring your own water 'cause they will charge you $$$

My recommendation is: All the major Greek Islands + Athens + Meteora + Barcelona (if you have the time). Leave Italy for a different trip
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22548 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, I'd suggest just flying to & from, and then doing the rest of your honeymoon by either rail or rental car.

We are travel nuts and in the midst of making plans for our first visit to Europe.

I would highl recommend checking out the Rick Steve's videos on planning a European vacation. He has many organized by country / destination. I think his one dedicated to a European Roundup would be a great place to start... Lots of valuable info about getting around by train / rental car and making the most of your time. (Rental car is good for Rural France or Tuscan Wine Country in Italy... Not so much for Greece.)

If I was to name the most romantic destinations my list would include: Paris - French Wine Country - Provence - the French Riviera - Cinque Terre in Italy - Rome - the Amalfi Coast - Isle of Capri - Italian Wine Country - Florence - Verona - Venice - and yes the Greek Isles

Lol, to put it more succinctly... Just about anywhere in France, Italy or Greece
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote: Congratulations!

If you are not planning to visit Europe anytime soon after your HM, you should visit more countries, otherwise, just stick with Greece!

Greece is lovely and it gives you the best value for your buck. And, you don't have to deal with the crazy Italian drivers! If you want to do some driving, get a car -- make sure you know manual -- on Santorini and Crete

Some exciting Islands include Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and Rhode (off the Turkish shore). 3-4 nights in each city would be relaxing and appropriate. You can throw in a night or two in Athens to see the Agora/Parthenon etc. and travel by bus to Meteora with its magnificent monasteries on the cliffs. History buffs might want to go to Delphi, which is a day trip.

Barcelona is also recommendable and also more enjoyable than Rome simply because you have fewer hecklers/scammers. Yes, they have pickpockets, but they aren't the aggressive criminals that you see in Italy!

I used Vuelling to go to Morocco, and the planes were very new. Please bring your own water 'cause they will charge you $$$

My recommendation is: All the major Greek Islands + Athens + Meteora + Barcelona (if you have the time). Leave Italy for a different trip
Thank you for the information!!

I think the Greek islands are too expensive thats why i was planning maximum of 4-5 nights in Santorini. Also spending the whole honeymoon in the Greek Islands will not be what we are really looking for. We were looking for some romance away from the beach life (Venice) and may be some city style destination. In total the initial plan was 4 nights Santorini, 5 nights Venice, 9 nights for 2 or 3 more cities with some history/sightseeing and day trip options.

Athens is not an option since my fiancee has been tgere few times already.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Personally, I'd suggest just flying to & from, and then doing the rest of your honeymoon by either rail or rental car.

We are travel nuts and in the midst of making plans for our first visit to Europe.

I would highl recommend checking out the Rick Steve's videos on planning a European vacation. He has many organized by country / destination. I think his one dedicated to a European Roundup would be a great place to start... Lots of valuable info about getting around by train / rental car and making the most of your time. (Rental car is good for Rural France or Tuscan Wine Country in Italy... Not so much for Greece.)

If I was to name the most romantic destinations my list would include: Paris - French Wine Country - Provence - the French Riviera - Cinque Terre in Italy - Rome - the Amalfi Coast - Isle of Capri - Italian Wine Country - Florence - Verona - Venice - and yes the Greek Isles

Lol, to put it more succinctly... Just about anywhere in France, Italy or Greece
Good to know someone else is going through my suffering of planning a Euro trip. I definitely enjoy it though!!

I was planning to fly to santorini and then to Venice and from Venice rent a car but i found if i drop off the car in vienna it will cost me a fortune. I drove before in Europe and i enjoyed it and i want to make driving and enjoying the scenery part of my honeymoon plan.

I didn't know these videos exist so i will definitely watch them!!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22548 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Re - Rick Steves

He is one of America's foremost travel writers / guides. His specialty is Europe for North American's.

You'll find his website @ www.ricksteves.com

Where he sells his assorted books, videos & other travel items

He has a weekly tv show on PBS, in addition they usually broadcast one of his full length videos (typically the beginners guide to Europe, aka European Round Up) during their fundraising / membership drives.

Other than his website, I've also seen his videos & books on the PBS Website
And his books / guides at Chapters etc

Also if you do a google you should be also to find various travel articles he's written, as well as references to his recommended lists (ie packing). All invaluable info IMO
Jan 17, 2017
254 posts
146 upvotes
If you come down to a list of cities you want to go to, the logistics are really not that hard. It will be much harder to pick cities. Everyone's interests differ, but it looks like you have the most common European destinations up on the list. Google top attractions in each city and pick the cities that interest you.

Zurich kind of stuck out to be odd. Interested in the Alps or Zurich itself? If Alps, stay in a small town in the Alps.

You need an International Drivers Permit in Austria as well.

seat61.com for train travel advise. Generally anything under 6-7 hours for train, i'd take train over air. Generally, i'd use train over rental car unless you plan on going to many small towns that don't have a good public transit link between them.

And generally, avoid changing cities often as you'll be spending more time traveling instead of enjoying cities.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
Soty613 wrote: If you come down to a list of cities you want to go to, the logistics are really not that hard. It will be much harder to pick cities. Everyone's interests differ, but it looks like you have the most common European destinations up on the list. Google top attractions in each city and pick the cities that interest you.

Zurich kind of stuck out to be odd. Interested in the Alps or Zurich itself? If Alps, stay in a small town in the Alps.

You need an International Drivers Permit in Austria as well.

seat61.com for train travel advise. Generally anything under 6-7 hours for train, i'd take train over air. Generally, i'd use train over rental car unless you plan on going to many small towns that don't have a good public transit link between them.

And generally, avoid changing cities often as you'll be spending more time traveling instead of enjoying cities.
Ok so assuming i picked the following locations (in order):
1- Santorini
2- Venice
3- Vienna
4- Budapest
5-Prague

I was thinking to fly from Santorini to Venice and from Venice to Vienna. Would you recommend a train to vienna instead?
I thought it will be much more expensive.

I can then drive to Budapest, Prague and back to Vienna and fly back home from there.

Another option was to end my trip in Prague and fly on Air transat to montreal and back to Toronto.

Edit: About changing cities often, i am planning to stay 4-5 nights in Santorini, 5 nights in Venice, 3 nights in each of the last 3 destinations. I have been to Prague and Vienna and i can say 3 days are more than enough.

Please feel free to comment on my breakdown of the 19-20 days

Cheers
Jan 17, 2017
254 posts
146 upvotes
Yah Venice to Vienna is right in that spot of train vs air. I'd look more into how far th airports are for your flights. Would it make more sense Venice to Budapest to Vienna to Prague?

If you have been to Prague and Vienna, you could look elsehwere? Love both of those cities though.

Munich Oktoberfest! Most romantic there is Grinning Face
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
Soty613 wrote: Yah Venice to Vienna is right in that spot of train vs air. I'd look more into how far th airports are for your flights. Would it make more sense Venice to Budapest to Vienna to Prague?

If you have been to Prague and Vienna, you could look elsehwere? Love both of those cities though.

Munich Oktoberfest! Most romantic there is Grinning Face
I will look into Venice to Budapest.

Prague is so romantic and my favourite European city, Vienna is only to attend a concert. I spent months in Germany and although it's one of my favourite countries but i find it far from being a honeymoon destination :D
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2580 posts
2372 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Bumping as I am started to plan for a family trip to Europe.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Bumping as I am started to plan for a family trip to Europe.
Do u have any destinations in mind?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2580 posts
2372 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ShuttleBoy wrote: Do u have any destinations in mind?
Sorry for not provided information. We plan to meet up with other in Greece either at the fron or end of the trip for a week. The other destinations we would like are Spain, London and if time France, and possible Italy. We were thinking three or four weeks with two kids and two adults.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.