• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2022 12:24 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
889 posts
1162 upvotes
Oilers Country

European Trip March 2022

We just returned from a trip to the UK and Switzerland, booked with Air Miles.

We completed the UK Passenger Locator forms as required (which have since been eliminated) prior to departure. These were checked briefly at our Canadian departure airport. But In the UK we were able to use the Passport E-Gates (open to Canadians) so we never saw a border officer. In the UK virtually no one was masking, even on the Underground. No vaccination record checks anywhere, even though we had our certificates with us.

Flew into Zurich on British Airways--it's wonderful that Air Miles now allows bookings for flights between points outside Canada. Masking only required at security checkpoint and beyond at Heathrow. Went through Swiss Immigration on arrival, where Alberta vaccination record was requested by the officer. Virtually no masking in Switzerland except on trains and trams.

Flew home from Amsterdam. Did PCR tests the day before departure, completed ArriveCAN and had printed paper receipts. Filled out Goverment of Netherlands health self-assessment prior to departure, as instructed by Air Canada and Schiphol airport website. At Schiphol, Air Canada agent briefly checked ArriveCAN receipt and PCR test results, was utterly uninterested in Netherlands health assessment form ("you don't need this"). Was told masking not required in Schiphol until past security. Canadians can use E-gates to exit the EU at Schiphol (though not to arrive).

Upon return to Canada, CBSA took five minutes or less. No one asked or cared about ArriveCAN or PCR test results.
3 replies
Banned
Mar 24, 2022
63 posts
89 upvotes
TravellingChris wrote: But In the UK we were able to use the Passport E-Gates (open to Canadians) so we never saw a border officer.
Thanks for confirming, I had read about this but wasn't sure if true, last time I went to UK, Canadians couldn't use these e-gates. I'm going there myself again soon.
Last edited by MrDisco on Apr 1st, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
889 posts
1162 upvotes
Oilers Country
4seasonscentre wrote: So I don't get an Exit stamp anymore?
You still have the option of seeing a border officer and getting a stamp. And if something goes wrong and your passport isn't recognized in the scanner (happened to me at the exit E-gates in Munich a few years back) you'll be sent to see an officer anyway.

The real prize will come when Canadians (and Americans, Japanese, etc.) are allowed to use E-gates to enter, not just leave, the Schengen area.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)