• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2022 12:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
198 posts
33 upvotes

Which EV charger should I install?

I'm new to EV chargers and am building a house. What kind of EV charger should I install? I don't want to be married to Tesla either and I heard that you can get a more universal charger in that case, was told that it looks like your stove plug. Thanks.
3 replies
Aug 18, 2019
355 posts
291 upvotes
Just buy Tesla. That's the gold standard. If you buy crappy non Tesla car one day like a Nissan leaf, just get an adapter. Simple enuf hombre? DYOR otherwise.🤷🏻‍♂️
~ 👍[email protected]✌️~
Dec 6, 2020
831 posts
886 upvotes
leafsnation98765 wrote: I'm new to EV chargers and am building a house. What kind of EV charger should I install? I don't want to be married to Tesla either and I heard that you can get a more universal charger in that case, was told that it looks like your stove plug. Thanks.
There's no reason to install a charger if you don't have an EV yet. The expensive part of an EV charging setup is installing the high-current cable, and the cable itself is completely vendor-agnostic.

Have the builders rough-in a high-current (e.g. 50 amp) 240V cable to your garage (the builders must also size your electrical service to support a 50 amp load) but defer installing a charger until you buy an EV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5531 posts
3528 upvotes
SW ON
You will get more responses if you post in the Automotive forum.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)