• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 3:06 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
554 posts
289 upvotes

Ever Do This While Grocery Shopping?

True story...

Over the weekend I bought a few items at my local Real Canadian Super Store.

I used an out-of-town Zehrs flyer to do a price match and got a GREAT deal on some PC frozen vegetables.

I'm friendly with some of the cahiers so I always look for somebody I know when I check out.

When I presented my Zehrs flyer to get the deep discounted price match - it caught her attention.

Extremely low price and obviously she knew it too.

So I asked her if she wanted me to leave the flyer with her for her personal use & she said yes.

She told me her shift was over at 5.30 p.m. and that she would certainly use the price match to get the discount.

Happy to help her. She was pleased. Nice gal who always treats me well.

Ever do something similar with your local store staff?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6370 posts
1529 upvotes
Richmond Hill
are u asking if you should ask her out? yes
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2050 posts
861 upvotes
Brampton, ON
OP you used her for your own gains, she is only a "nice gal" because you used her!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20803 posts
4922 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op risked the "friendly" cashier job by saving a few dollars. Why? You know and the cashiers know that RCSS does not price match other stores not located near them.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14212 posts
8307 upvotes
Toronto
the OP's shopping threads.... :facepalm:
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
554 posts
289 upvotes
Should perhaps point out that my RCSS accepts Zehrs flyers for pm'ing.

The fact the Zehrs store is "out-of-town" has no bearing on its proper use in this case

There isn't a No Frills store in my town either but my RCSS happily accepts PM's from that store as well.

There's no Valu Mart in my town either but my RCSS happily accepts PM's from that store as well.

Happy to clarify for you all

Nothing untoward nor dishonest going on here as a few are suggesting

FYI
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3489 posts
1260 upvotes
Woodbridge
Use Flipp and/or Reebee.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1501 upvotes
This story is cute as hell

No I don't price match as keenly as you do. I guess it's a nice gesture that you gave her the flyer haha

I'm just an ordinary deal-finder. Sometimes the cashiers are like, "Wow, that's a great deal!" and I'm like "Yeah" and they're like "I'm going to get some for myself tonight" and I say "you should" Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
554 posts
289 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Op risked the "friendly" cashier job by saving a few dollars. Why? You know and the cashiers know that RCSS does not price match other stores not located near them.
My town has no Zehrs - No Frills - Loblaws or Valu Mart - yet Superstore price match the flyers from all four.

You don't enjoy similar benefits where you shop???

Pity
Dec 8, 2008
311 posts
298 upvotes
Winnipeg
To answer you question. Yes I've done this twice. Once for batteries and the young male cashier was very excited and accepted the flyer. Another time I had some great coupons and the cashier accepted them readily when I offered.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3489 posts
1260 upvotes
Woodbridge
unclefester wrote: My town has no Zehrs - No Frills - Loblaws or Valu Mart - yet Superstore price match the flyers from all four.

You don't enjoy similar benefits where you shop???

Pity
Almost every retailer where I price match restricts it to "local competitors only." Having said that, if your retailer explicitly states that they will match certain stores despite them not being in your town, then you're fine. The RCSS near me has a list of actual stores that they match, and all are local.
Dec 25, 2014
79 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
The RCSS in Scarobrough and Don Mills accepts all flyers from Loblaw banners as long as they are Ontario. Out of town flyers are fine. There are two versions of the Your Independent Grocer (Ontario and Ottawa) flyers, those work fine at RCSS. On a side note, some RCSS in Ottawa will also let you price match Maxi and Super C in addition to other Ontario Loblaw flyers.
Jun 7, 2017
150 posts
118 upvotes
unclefester wrote: True story...

Over the weekend I bought a few items at my local Real Canadian Super Store.

I used an out-of-town Zehrs flyer to do a price match and got a GREAT deal on some PC frozen vegetables.

I'm friendly with some of the cahiers so I always look for somebody I know when I check out.

When I presented my Zehrs flyer to get the deep discounted price match - it caught her attention.

Extremely low price and obviously she knew it too.

So I asked her if she wanted me to leave the flyer with her for her personal use & she said yes.

She told me her shift was over at 5.30 p.m. and that she would certainly use the price match to get the discount.

Happy to help her. She was pleased. Nice gal who always treats me well.

Ever do something similar with your local store staff?
No. I am not poor.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
554 posts
289 upvotes
marmalade12 wrote: To answer you question. Yes I've done this twice. Once for batteries and the young male cashier was very excited and accepted the flyer. Another time I had some great coupons and the cashier accepted them readily when I offered.

Appreciate your post

It's like a breath of fresh air

Not so hard really is it?

You get it

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1535 posts
1298 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tough crowd today. I've shared info or coupons with other customers in the store and it's fun to see them really happy about it. Keep it up OP!
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
554 posts
289 upvotes
KellyM133398 wrote: Tough crowd today. I've shared info or coupons with other customers in the store and it's fun to see them really happy about it. Keep it up OP!
Thanks Kelly

I've done that too recently - a fellow customer asked me about an item - I showed him my flyer

Told him if he wanted to stock up too I would "lend" him my flyer

He saved himself about ten bucks when he checked out right behind me as he borrowed my flyer

He didn't have a PC points card so he left me swipe mine on his purchase

Everyone's a winner
Last edited by unclefester on Feb 13th, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1056 posts
848 upvotes
GTA
jvnanu wrote: Almost every retailer where I price match restricts it to "local competitors only." Having said that, if your retailer explicitly states that they will match certain stores despite them not being in your town, then you're fine. The RCSS near me has a list of actual stores that they match, and all are local.
The two RCSS stores closes to me do not have the exact same list of competitors they will PM, so it's easy enough to believe that some of their stores will PM across larger geographic areas than others do. Fwiw, as of a few months ago, some Walmart stores in rural ON were reportedly still PMing any ad from anywhere in the province.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1056 posts
848 upvotes
GTA
KellyM133398 wrote: I've shared info or coupons with other customers in the store and it's fun to see them really happy about it.
Me too. When using paper flyers, I've also given them to people, although not to a cashier. And without actively sharing info, I've had a number of people including some cashiers tell me they weren't aware of something I was PMing.