Ever had a phone interview...?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 3:18 pm
Tags:
Sep 23, 2010
534 posts
1500 upvotes
T Dot
I've been on the hiring end a number of times and have used phone interviews for the first round.
For us it was winnowing the field down to a manageable number for in-person interviews, within the same city. E.g. 10+ that look good on paper to 3-5 to do face to face interviews.
Jan 4, 2007
400 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
Since the OP knew in advance when that phone interview will happen, he should have prepared for the questions by Googling "telephone interview questions".
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18911 posts
2193 upvotes
I've had a few phone interviews that last time I was looking for a change. I'm in Vancouver. One job was in Montreal. One was here but HO was in Toronto. One was a recruiter in Quebec.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13362 posts
2703 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
AchtungB4by wrote: I recently applied for a job at a reputable insurance company then followed up by contacting who my boss would be if I got the job, basically saying I would be a good fit for them, etc.
She contacted me and we spoke on the phone for approx 5 mins & said she wanted me to meet with their HR dept. Their HR dept contacted me the next day & wants to have a phone interview with me on Monday.
Phone interview...? Is this something new...? Normally I’ve only ever done interviews in person but they said it would be about 20-30 mins in length. Just never heard of doing it on the phone.
LOL, where u been?? Phone interviews have been around for over 20yrs. YES, even before the in-ta-nets. Incidentally the longest I've had was near 1.5hrs. *welp* Usually they are done with lower level posts becuz the HR/Mgt staff dont have time to bring in 40-50 peeps for jobs like customer service, call center related or other service/support posts.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jan 27, 2018
60 posts
7 upvotes
Yup, phone interviews are pretty common these days, and they save a lot of time for both sides. Also, initial screening becomes much easier before calling in a candidate for an interview.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7488 posts
4788 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Gee wrote: Did you get the job?
I don't think so. OP put up another post that has me worried about them (sounded suicidal). I hope they post again.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4867 posts
1406 upvotes
Wat
hockeyfan1990 wrote: TD, yea I got hired with TD’s investment department 2 years ago just through phone interview, never had a in person interview. First phone interview was with HR, took half an hour, then second interview was with the hiring manager which took 1 hour. Then HR called back with an offer.

All the banks go through phone interviews as the complete hiring process nowadays, depending on the position of course. Most of the banks call centre jobs, pretty much all phone interviews.
I wish I knew this was the case for TD. I thought the 2nd interview was just a secondary screening interview so I didn't really prepare for it. Turns out it was the interview! Oh well..
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON
AchtungB4by wrote: I’ve always been called in to do personally.
Must be another brainiac sop thought up by some millennial.
So it really depends what position you apply. The lower the position - the easiest to apply - the shortest time to answer/get the job. The higher the position - the opposite and the number of the interviews double, sometimes triples.

So let's say a dishwasher position in a restaurant - you don't even need to call/email them or check if they have a position. Just walk in the restaurant - Hi, how are you, do you need a dishwasher, I have this and that experience here and there, alright, thank you, bye! **at this moment you either got or not the job**

Example 2: Junior Software Developer (up to 3y of experience): see a position in Indeed, reply, at some point (they usually have to review lots of candidates, but let's say in 7-8 business days they reply asking for phone interview, it takes from 30 to 60 minutes on the phone, then you get a f2f interview. Juniors always are asked to do some sort of programming test, up to 1hr, you get also a f2f talk with somebody (some hiring manager). If that was a recruitment company, then you get f2f interview with employer, 1hr talk and bye until they send you email if you got the job

Example 3: Senior Software Developer (5 or more years), which is me, I have like 13y in total: same as the above, except it takes more time to reply for them, never less than 1h phone interview, could be 2 or 3 phone interviews, then f2f. If the hiring manager is some newbie, they will ask for a programming test. Serious hiring managers look the resume and that's enough. However then there is the f2f interview first with the team leader of the team, 1h, then with some detailed questions from the team you are supposed to be in, at least 1h (sometimes this step could be skipped), then there is final interview with the department manager, like 1h.

And of course there is a waiting time for background checks and security checks for the good positions. It usually takes me between 1 month (rarely) and 3 months (usually) from the time I applied somewhere, to the time they hire me, especially because of the checks they do.

Now, if you go for a management position, interview times could double, plus response time and the whole hiring procedure could go beyond 3 months.

And this has always been like that, for the good positions and the good companies.