Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 4:44 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrBungal wrote: Cheap EV option now available in the US.
https://www.kandiamerica.com/electric-vehicle-K27/
Still very expensive considering these are 6000 USD in China. They seem to have priced it as high as they could so that after the incentives it would drop down around 6000.
Indeed, there are many EV options for under $6000 in China, that is why they are dominating the EV market. Do you find it strange for a communist country to be so progressive?

For multi vehicle household in the west, I can't see why having a city car with shorter range won't be popular, it only needs to have other country import those short range EV over here. Imagine having something like smart EV type of car with 100km of range that costs under $10k.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
divx wrote: For multi vehicle household in the west, I can't see why having a city car with shorter range won't be popular, it only needs to have other country import those short range EV over here. Imagine having something like smart EV type of car with 100km of range that costs under $10k.
the auto workers unions will fight to their very death to ensure this never happens in north america
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
SomeOtherDude wrote: the auto workers unions will fight to their very death to ensure this never happens in north america
The environmental crusaders can fight the unions then.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
michelb wrote: As mentioned he has keep it for a certain amount of time (I thought it was only 12 months) but he also has to pay full taxes in QC (which I think are roughly 13%) and then you'll have to pay taxes in Ontario as well so there's not that much to be made because of the double tax. You'd still save some as the rebate is more than the taxes but you wouldn't be able to benefit from the full $13k.

Just to confirm, you'd have to read the fine print but it looks like he only has to keep it for 12 months:
https://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca ... e-neuf.asp
My mistake. I was reading the part about 3 vehicles in one year requirement.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: Indeed, there are many EV options for under $6000 in China, that is why they are dominating the EV market. Do you find it strange for a communist country to be so progressive?
Progressive? They are a communist country with cheap labour and compete lack of safety protocols. It's not really impressive that they have a 6 grand ev lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4507 posts
2547 upvotes
Thornhill
divx wrote: Indeed, there are many EV options for under $6000 in China, that is why they are dominating the EV market. Do you find it strange for a communist country to be so progressive?
For multi vehicle household in the west, I can't see why having a city car with shorter range won't be popular, it only needs to have other country import those short range EV over here. Imagine having something like smart EV type of car with 100km of range that costs under $10k.
For sure they are cheap, but are they safe???
I don't think they can make any significant inroads into markets outside China until they can 5 stars all the crash tests (or maybe at least 4 stars?).
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
nosnoop wrote: For sure they are cheap, but are they safe???
I don't think they can make any significant inroads into markets outside China until they can 5 stars all the crash tests (or maybe at least 4 stars?).
they don't need to, china is the world biggest ev market.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
Sgt_Strider wrote: Does anyone here know if the BMW i4 will qualify for any EV rebate?
Federal no. PDSF needs to be around 45 000$. It starts at 54 990$.

Quebec yes since it's PDSF is under 60 000$.
May 15, 2015
171 posts
328 upvotes
Guelph, ON

I'd have to agree i think there's a huge market for low cost city cars to be a family's 2nd vehicle. We had a Smart Fortwo EV for 3 years as our 2nd car, we drove it to work and ran errands around the city. The operational costs were incredibly low. Only problem was the capital costs, it was high for the class of vehicle, but I'm confident the price of all EVs will come down and eventually will be significantly lower cost than current ICE. I don't know if we'll ever hit $6k in Canada for a city car but maybe $15k is a more realistic target.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
SomeOtherDude wrote:
the auto workers unions will fight to their very death to ensure this never happens in north america
You have no clue what's you're talking about. Troll?

Konowl wrote: Progressive? They are a communist country with cheap labour and compete lack of safety protocols. It's not really impressive that they have a 6 grand ev lol.
Anyway not much peoples will buy them because they want SUV anyway (and then complain about gas price).
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Oct 3rd, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
SPARTACVS wrote: Anyway not much peoples will buy them because they want SUV anyway (and then complain about gas price).
The biggest complainers on my FB about gas prices are the big 4x4 drivers. They have office jobs. You're not wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: they don't need to, china is the world biggest ev market.
Perhaps, but the reso of the world is also a very big market lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Konowl wrote: Perhaps, but the reso of the world is also a very big market lol.
they will be, but right now china itself is bigger than rest of the world combined in ev market share.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: they will be, but right now china itself is bigger than rest of the world combined in ev market share.
Sales != Market size or potential sales.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Konowl wrote: Sales != Market size or potential sales.
the charts i have seen from various EV sources is clear on that matter
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: the charts i have seen from various EV sources is clear on that matter
I don't think you're understanding.
Total current sales is not indicative of said market size, n'or is the EV sales numbers represented as a percentage of total vehicle sales.

Anyways, beyond the scope of this thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1911 posts
2367 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Update:

Traded my 2018 Smart Electric drive in for a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric.

Pros:
Ioniq has Apple Carplay (and Android Auto), so the tech experience is reasonable and modern
Ioniq fast charging tested on a 250 km road trip is superb for a small battery EV, 60+ kW peak at high states of charge on a 28 kWh battery
Outstanding efficiency, both in city and highway
Strong regenerative braking and regen "paddles" for selecting less or more
Hyundai comes with 5 year warranty from original purchase, until mid 2023
Comfortable car with softer suspension than either Tesla or Smart

Cons:
Front wheel drive, spins tires from dead stop and from on accelerator cornering
Front wheel drive in an EV where the primary weight is in the battery pack located under the rear seat offers poor performance characteristics
This is especially pronounced compared to the rear wheel drive Smart which would "push" strongly from a dead stop and corner at speeds that make you laugh out loud
I miss driving my Smart on local trips where I could punch the accelerator constantly and otherwise drive 10/10ths of the cars capability even in a 5 km trip

Subjective :
Attractive car in blue with the premium wheel package
But not a cute / unique car like my Smart was, no one notices the Hyundai

All in all, the family is very happy with the change.
My son required a car for work, and I wasn't driving my Smart anymore (work from home for two years so far).
My next personal vehicle is a full sized electric pickup, patiently waiting.

Hope everyone is doing well, took a few months of personal time off from RFD forum.
I'll post my winter tire research/choice soon, just negotiating now.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Konowl wrote: I don't think you're understanding.
Total current sales is not indicative of said market size, n'or is the EV sales numbers represented as a percentage of total vehicle sales.

Anyways, beyond the scope of this thread.
Market size or market capitalization refers to the total value (dollars) of all product purchased. We know how big the global EV market is, and we also know it is growing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: Market size or market capitalization refers to the total value (dollars) of all product purchased. We know how big the global EV market is, and we also know it is growing.
Yes i know. You're not getting it. Let's just move on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
When did the Ford eTransit hit the road?
I saw one a few weeks ago at a charging station and was like WTF. I thought they were still like a year out.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

Xtrema, azn_dan, mrweather