Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 12:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8284 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Xtrema wrote: hmm, so Musk did add a radar on the v3 hardware. Good for him. Now that Taiwanese case is even more of a mystery.
Radar was not a v3 hardware addition. Radar was there in 2014. In 2014 Tesla was using HW1. HW3 came in 2019.

We all know that Autopilot has the two aspects I reported above. It is driving assistance, not collision avoidance.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8284 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
CanadianLurker wrote: Thanks for the insight as I was not aware of the change of heart regarding radar and Tesla.
It was not a “change of heart regarding radar and Tesla”. Tesla has used the combination since hardware version 1.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4069 posts
2958 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: Exporting all the industry to China and returning all the garbage and recycles to China makes one feel good about keeping their local pollution down doesn't it? Remember the fiasco about China considering restricting exports of rare earth metal and it was a big deal since China is the biggest supplier of that to the world, not because only China has rare earth (hint, rare earth is not rare at all) but because no one else wants to refine it due to the massive pollution, Trump had to exempt rare earth manufacturing from environmental laws in the States to make it even possible to build a plant there.
Nah I meant you saying the EU shouldn't worry about emissions because their are bigger producers was silly. Not sure what the above is about.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12780 posts
3280 upvotes
RFD
Martin (deal addict) wrote: If Tesla can build BEVs in California why cant we build a basic BEV here? Forget sweeping glass roofs, autopilots, falcon doors - just a well thought out electric CUV. We can use robots too with less employees earning high wages. Less jobs but at least some jobs.
We/Canada can build it, but why we don't is another reason.

Or just do what Australia did and build and sell high speed EV chargers for the world. Australia did it despite not even being a large EV player to begin with.

Canada needs to use their resources and diversify their portfolio. Hanging on to oil for far too long is/has going to bite them in the bum. Be a leader and lead, don't follow. We could have had the Avro Arrow and been a leader, SMH.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1109 posts
1019 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: If Tesla can build BEVs in California why cant we build a basic BEV here? Forget sweeping glass roofs, autopilots, falcon doors - just a well thought out electric CUV. We can use robots too with less employees earning high wages. Less jobs but at least some jobs.
Its called "economies of scale"

Up to the end of 2018 Canadians owned 80,000 BEVs & PHEVs.
source
By now, let's say, it's 200,000.
200,000 different makes and models, interior, exterior and battery sizes, body styles, etc.
People nowadays expect in their budget Corollas navi, 24 way powered seats with massage, heating and cooling, and bj's, unless you're married.
Good luck selling them basic EV.
Which I'd love to have it, BTW. Big station wagon, 100 kWh battery, no bells or whistles.

Super interesting article about Dyson's EV:

Here it is, compared to electric Jaguar.

Dyson abandoned his project few months ago, after spending at least 1 bln. dollars of his own money on it, and realizing he can't make it profitable, even at U$200k. MSRP.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5635 posts
1208 upvotes
It looks like an airbrushed Land Rover Discovery.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3700 posts
2221 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote: Its called "economies of scale"

Up to the end of 2018 Canadians owned 80,000 BEVs & PHEVs.
source
By now, let's say, it's 200,000.
200,000 different makes and models, interior, exterior and battery sizes, body styles, etc.
People nowadays expect in their budget Corollas navi, 24 way powered seats with massage, heating and cooling, and bj's, unless you're married.
Good luck selling them basic EV.
Which I'd love to have it, BTW. Big station wagon, 100 kWh battery, no bells or whistles.

Super interesting article about Dyson's EV:

Here it is, compared to electric Jaguar.

Dyson abandoned his project few months ago, after spending at least 1 bln. dollars of his own money on it, and realizing he can't make it profitable, even at U$200k. MSRP.
I listed the sort of features I thought were not basic - expansive glass, autopilot, falcon doors. I would be potentially interested in a used Model X if it wasn't for those doors.

I have navi, heated seats and power driver seat on my FFE.

I have cooled seats on another vehicle but could take it or leave it as long as AC worked well.

I would feel overly opulent with massage seats. Who needs a Shiatsu in their seat apart from endurance racers!
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3700 posts
2221 upvotes
Ontario
Xtrema wrote: Musk's mission is replacing human's 2 eyes. So 8 cameras is superior if that's the goal post.

But what he can't replace yet to teaching those cameras what that object is when it isn't in its library. So it probably have seen a million car up right and a billion traffic lights but anything that only happens 1 in a million or thousand, it doesn't know how to react.

It will come in time tho. And Tesla and may be DiDi are the only 2 with large enough dataset to do it.
They need to start putting images of upturned trucks and semi-trailers on ReCAPTCHA,

Its always pedestrian walks, traffic lights, buses and bicycles.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4767 posts
1307 upvotes
Konowl wrote: SO fun fact, I mainly got the FFE to test out an electric, but also with the expectation that there would be so many more options (Alenbrenton light, if you will). 3 years later, there is the Model 3 and a bunch of "coming soons". 3 years ago, there was also a bunch of "coming soons".

It's kinda sad, really.
That was exactly my mind set as well, and why I got a three year lease. "Three years from now, 200km of range will be a laughingstock, and this car will be a dinosaur lol"

Nothing has really changed in three years unfortunately, and this is still the most compelling EV on the road for the average consumer IMO. Most average joes can't afford a TM3, there is no resale market, and a used FFE at 20k is the perfect entry BEV.

Sadly I will be letting mine go at lease end, as our family needs require an SUV, and there is not equivalent BEV SUV that fits our needs, so we will be getting an ICE SUV for the meantime...
May 20, 2017
626 posts
484 upvotes
ON
joshmxpx wrote: That was exactly my mind set as well, and why I got a three year lease. "Three years from now, 200km of range will be a laughingstock, and this car will be a dinosaur lol"

Nothing has really changed in three years unfortunately, and this is still the most compelling EV on the road for the average consumer IMO. Most average joes can't afford a TM3, there is no resale market, and a used FFE at 20k is the perfect entry BEV.

Sadly I will be letting mine go at lease end, as our family needs require an SUV, and there is not equivalent BEV SUV that fits our needs, so we will be getting an ICE SUV for the meantime...
Buy it out and sell it for a profit. Last time I checked there was no 2017 FFE in Ontario on trader.ca
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3700 posts
2221 upvotes
Ontario
joshmxpx wrote: That was exactly my mind set as well, and why I got a three year lease. "Three years from now, 200km of range will be a laughingstock, and this car will be a dinosaur lol"

Regardless of what else comes along the FFE will still be as useful and cheap to run as it is today. Not everyone needs big (without stopping to charge) range especially if it is a second vehicle.

IMO a good combination is the FFE plus a big older luxury SUV for the occasional highway trip and those bad snow days. That's what I have and I don't put many km on the SUV and when I do its not too bad on gas like it would be around town.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14621 posts
5585 upvotes
Gatineau
In case anyone has a Tesla Model Y reservation, you should be able to now login and submit your Registration, Trade-in details, and apply for financing.

This has been a long time coming, I can't wait to pick up my first EV.

djino
"Just purchased the Wall Connector while they currently have stock"
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2498 posts
3042 upvotes
Edmonton
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Regardless of what else comes along the FFE will still be as useful and cheap to run as it is today. Not everyone needs big (without stopping to charge) range especially if it is a second vehicle.

IMO a good combination is the FFE plus a big older luxury SUV for the occasional highway trip and those bad snow days. That's what I have and I don't put many km on the SUV and when I do its not too bad on gas like it would be around town.
That's the same setup in essence that I have going now with a Clarity and Q7. Seems like it's going to be great.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

neptune