Locked: Everything Trump - Donald Trump General Discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 4:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6065 posts
231 upvotes
Also keep in mind that tariffs that scare away investment in Mexican car manufacturing actually might help China so I'm not sure they'd be so keen to retaliate on BMWs behalf.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5386 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Trump is an idiot, it's as simple as that.

He can only see the short-term and not the long-term implications of his inferior brain. For such a smart businessman as he claims to be he's quite short-sighted, especially when it comes to Global markets.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3572 posts
457 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 11:56 am
Wait, did China end their last round of crippling tariffs on US manufactured vehicles yet?

I can't remember if the US retaliated or not.
Doubt it. Plus all those factories in China that are meant to avoid Chinese import tariffs also need local partnerships, which means that China is increasingly gaining the skills and knowledge to build high quality cars on their own.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3078 posts
191 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 12:42 pm
Trump is an idiot, it's as simple as that.

He can only see the short-term and not the long-term implications of his inferior brain. For such a smart businessman as he claims to be he's quite short-sighted, especially when it comes to Global markets.
That is not what consensus on RFD is. According to them he us bum, chump, idiot, many things. But I am waiting for 20th Jan.
On that day he will be and there will be YouTube clip of him saying at least I will be going down as President.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3018 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
Seems like a bad idea that would hurt long term prospects of automakers both in the US and abroad.
Jun 15, 2012
806 posts
66 upvotes
MB
America always has budget deficit; Germany always has budget surplus. I think keeping American car manufacturers busy and giving jobs to American people is a good idea.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14279 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto
SLee wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 12:54 pm
Doubt it. Plus all those factories in China that are meant to avoid Chinese import tariffs also need local partnerships, which means that China is increasingly gaining the skills and knowledge to build high quality cars on their own.
They've bought out Volvo and Saab, so they've already got the knowledge. All they need to do is develop their domestic market to the point where more people can afford cars built to international standards and they'll really kick things off.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5874 posts
1001 upvotes
The real reason Trump is an idiot is because at age 71, he will be wasting the last years of his life being someone's else janitor ! ...LoL
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
123 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Trump is a joke. He's not even in power yet and he has set off numerous forest fires. He's gonna get burned.

Good luck American with your American made JUNK CARS.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5874 posts
1001 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 3:32 pm
They've bought out Volvo and Saab, so they've already got the knowledge. All they need to do is develop their domestic market to the point where more people can afford cars built to international standards and they'll really kick things off.
They are basically buying the brand names so they can get into the North American market unchallenged because of the auto unions and the China haters. It is a much simpler route to take than to introduce a new brand name that require at least 20 years for consumers to buy into like Hyundai. They already have the know how since they build BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW, Volvo, SAAB, Rover, GM, Ford etc...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2107 posts
311 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 3:20 pm
America always has budget deficit; Germany always has budget surplus. I think keeping American car manufacturers busy and giving jobs to American people is a good idea.
Except Americans will experience a net loss if a trade war starts. If Trump requires foreign products to be made on American Soil with American workers, then foreign countries rightly can require the same in their countries. That means that all American exports would drop to basically zero because American products would now need to be made in factories in Germany, Europe, etc. Now, if you believe that the American market is bigger than the world market, then it's a good idea. Have at it. Otherwise, it's a bad idea. Also, if a trade war starts with tariffs, it will dis-proportionally affect the lower income earners because things like fruit, veggies etc. from Mexico and cheap household supplies in Walmart/Target etc. from China will have tariffs on them. Who can least afford to have their weekly grocery bill jacked up 20-35%? The low income families.
Jun 15, 2012
806 posts
66 upvotes
MB
Chookman wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 7:54 pm
Except Americans will experience a net loss if a trade war starts. If Trump requires foreign products to be made on American Soil with American workers, then foreign countries rightly can require the same in their countries. That means that all American exports would drop to basically zero because American products would now need to be made in factories in Germany, Europe, etc. Now, if you believe that the American market is bigger than the world market, then it's a good idea. Have at it. Otherwise, it's a bad idea. Also, if a trade war starts with tariffs, it will dis-proportionally affect the lower income earners because things like fruit, veggies etc. from Mexico and cheap household supplies in Walmart/Target etc. from China will have tariffs on them. Who can least afford to have their weekly grocery bill jacked up 20-35%? The low income families.
American economy is one of the few that can be self sustained. Besides oil, but Arabs won't do it again. ( especially now when US is prepared with strategic oil reserves).
No one talks about trade war, only simple fairness, if you sold us goods on 1 mln dollars now your turn to buy from us on 1 mln dollars.
- USA trade deficit is huge, 40 Billion dollars
And on contrary
- Germany enjoys surplus in 23 billion euro
- China - almost 60 billion dollars surplus.

And to balance its budget deficit USA forced to borrow, which led to gigantic almost 18 trillion dollars debt.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7646 posts
1456 upvotes
Trump University
The 20th is near! :D

** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
The US owns the world as far as imports go. Dont go pretending that China and others can just roll over to other lucrative customers if the US decides to change the rules. Yah yab things may be a changing. But thats still the way it is. Im glad they finally have a president that isnt afraid to shove it in their faces
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2827 posts
632 upvotes
markham
the other elephant in the room that the rest of the world forgets is, the less trade you have with the US, the less US dollars you have..next to gold as a world currency, the USD is like gold..less trade means a more expensive USD purchase...and I don't mean for you and me..i mean the big country's ..unless the world decides it no longer wants to use the USD.(which will never happen)..you MUST do business with uncle sam.
The USA ..became "the economy" on their own...they brought the rest of the world in on trade, arms, brokering oil, lending ..etc. To think that the rest of the world will bring the USA down?,,I personally don't think there is even the slightest chance.
like the other poster said...their economy started on its own, and can be self sustaining..they don't lack anything if really needed.