• Nov 17th, 2017 4:58 pm
Tags:
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5873 posts
1000 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 9:01 pm
The US owns the world as far as imports go. Dont go pretending that China and others can just roll over to other lucrative customers if the US decides to change the rules. Yah yab things may be a changing. But thats still the way it is. Im glad they finally have a president that isnt afraid to shove it in their faces
Your delusional ! ...LoL
The US has lost it's manufacturing backbone and Canada's manufacturing sector at less than 10% is all but unrecoverable !
US jobs will only come back if Chinese companies decide to set up shop in the US and they will only set up shop in the US if there is no competition since it will be Americans paying for higher cost and the company still get close to 100% of the business.

Trump and Jack Ma already talking business this week ! ...LoL

Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Manufacturing is being taken away by robotics too. I think robotics will be a factor in where manufacturing moves in the future.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4817 posts
941 upvotes
Mississauga
US accounts for one-fifth of worldwide car sales, second only to China. US imports way more than they export by way of cars.

I doubt any manufacturer wants to lose one-fifth of their car sales. This tariff is a means to have manufacturers increase production in the US.

I think, It's going to happen.

I understand there is collateral damage in terms of car parts being manufactured in the US, but I think it will be a net positive.

As for China getting involved, I don't think they will. Ford sells more than twice as many cars in the US than they do in China. GM might be a different story though.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4817 posts
941 upvotes
Mississauga
gizmo8 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 6:22 pm
Ken get ready for hyper inflation if you really think this clown is going to force companies to open plants in the US with threats of tariffs.It goes both ways.You think Japanese and Europeans voters would allow manufacturing to leave their country for the US?.They are going to put their own tariffs on americans steel,wood,meats,clothing,etc,etc if the US goes the route of protectionism.
Well the US is only fourth or fifth in world steel production, but not a close fourth/fifth. Also, they import much more steel than they export - maybe they increase steel production in country as well - that could spell more jobs. With respect to wood, hey, that's better for Canada. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May 22, 2011
293 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
gizmo8 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 6:22 pm
Ken get ready for hyper inflation if you really think this clown is going to force companies to open plants in the US with threats of tariffs.It goes both ways.You think Japanese and Europeans voters would allow manufacturing to leave their country for the US?.They are going to put their own tariffs on americans steel,wood,meats,clothing,etc,etc if the US goes the route of protectionism.
You do know that this is a tariff on Mexico not on Germany or Japan, so why would German or Japanese citizens even care? Are you really that delusional to believe that German or Japanese citizens advocate their domestic manufacturers to build plants in Mexico? Do you think Canadian citizens advocate for our manufacturers to build plants in Mexico? You should get your facts right before you post anything.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2826 posts
631 upvotes
markham
LOL at all the RFD economists...one thing I know in my lifetime...doom and gloom has a been predicted ALWAYS..and I have yet to see it..the only mild doom happened in 2008 and that wasn't really predicted (because it was hidden). That was also a "paper" adjustment to phoney wealth...it happens every 15 years or so..housing, stock market..housing is due again...those with paper assets, and values lose them..real quick..and usually the real rich aren't even involved monetarily in them anymore...it seems to be a way to "cull the herd" every so many years.
it usually separates the super rich from the pretenders.

The US is the biggest most powerful player in the game..period. No way they ever fail..in spite of their leader. if they overcame the last 8 years and doom and gloom of their trillion gazillion dollar deficits and debt...nothing can really stop them...its their game and the rest of the world is just players.
Nov 28, 2016
24 posts
3 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 9:51 pm
The US is the biggest most powerful player in the game..period. No way they ever fail..in spite of their leader. if they overcame the last 8 years and doom and gloom of their trillion gazillion dollar deficits and debt...nothing can really stop them...its their game and the rest of the world is just players.
The Mongols, Persia, Rome, Great Britain might want a word with you... nothing lasts forever, especially empires.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2826 posts
631 upvotes
markham
devmaster8 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 11:17 pm
The Mongols, Persia, Rome, Great Britain might want a word with you... nothing lasts forever, especially empires.
yes let me go back to ancient times..this is 2017..if someone tries to overtake the us...Armageddon happens...what do you think nukes are for and doom was predicted. also its not an "if"...its more of a "when"...the powers in the US are too greedy and controlling to roll over and let anything happen
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16681 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
cardguy wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 5:11 am
yes let me go back to ancient times..this is 2017..if someone tries to overtake the us...Armageddon happens...what do you think nukes are for and doom was predicted. also its not an "if"...its more of a "when"...the powers in the US are too greedy and controlling to roll over and let anything happen
It won't be a military take over, it will be a corporate and influence take over.
Nov 28, 2016
24 posts
3 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
I'm sure they all said the same thing too.
Nov 28, 2016
24 posts
3 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
the powers in the US are too greedy and controlling to roll over and let anything happen
Good point, unless that greed is satiated from the outside. One might say the US is the biggest market, but there is a billion people in China, and another in India. Its only a matter of time until that changes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7885 posts
2037 upvotes
Toronto
May 10, 2015
513 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
good in a way..world doesnt need more german cars..
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
412 upvotes
Concord, ON
Yes...This will make me run to buy a Malibu lol
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14266 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 6:37 pm
Yes...This will make me run to buy a Malibu lol
I know I'll be rushing out to buy a poorly-built domestic affirmative-action-mobile if a Japanese car gets more expensive :rolleyes:
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?