Automotive

Everything vs Manual: should i just give up now? (Mazda CX-3)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2016 3:30 am
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604

Everything vs Manual: should i just give up now? (Mazda CX-3)

aiight, i know technology moves onwards and always. and CVTs are smarter than transmissions in the past to the point where, in terms of fuel efficiency, they have eclipsed manual. and i get that manufacturers need to cater to lazy-ass drivers with fewer stick options (and add more "lazy safety" options like blind spot monitoring).

but i still love driving (when not stuck in the suckage that is Lower Mainland traffic), and so i still love stick. lately, i've been considering Compact / Crossover SUVs: Juke, 500X, CX3, with the last one the best option of the three. unfortunately, it's also the only one that isn't offered in manual.

questions for those who have made or are considering a change from stick:

1. can you live/drive (happily) without Manual?

2. re: the Mazda CX-3: what's the "SKYACTIV-Drive 6-Speed AT with manual-shift and Sport modes" like?
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18653 posts
2375 upvotes
Woodbridge
I think when my boys or even strangers rip me for not driving manual I think it's just about ego the attitude that you're a man and your supposed to drive only manual.

I love Tiptronic as long as I'm having fun with it like I currently am I have no problems.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1183 posts
569 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
I will tell you now, manual with always be more fun. Don't think for one second triptronic will ever be a perfect substitute. The CX-3 is a great car, but it's your choice in the end.
Mar 30, 2016
95 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
AMRadio wrote: aiight, i know technology moves onwards and always. and CVTs are smarter than transmissions in the past to the point where, in terms of fuel efficiency, they have eclipsed manual. and i get that manufacturers need to cater to lazy-ass drivers with fewer stick options (and add more "lazy safety" options like blind spot monitoring).

but i still love driving (when not stuck in the suckage that is Lower Mainland traffic), and so i still love stick. lately, i've been considering Compact / Crossover SUVs: Juke, 500X, CX3, with the last one the best option of the three. unfortunately, it's also the only one that isn't offered in manual.

2. re: the Mazda CX-3: what's the "SKYACTIV-Drive 6-Speed AT with manual-shift and Sport modes" like?
I went from having a Manual to getting a Jeep Cherokee. It's been about 7 months now and I definitely do miss driving a manual transmission car!

However, living in Toronto with all the traffic makes me not miss driving manual as well lol. My solution? Talking my gf into buying a manual car :)
Aug 8, 2008
5 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
You could also look at the jeep renegade, Honda hr-v and the Subaru cross trek. I would never get a car with an auto - unless physically unable to shift.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604
oh yes, the HR-V.

forgot about that, just did a quick look at options, and it comes in manual (YES)!

maybe a little flattened out in terms of experience and less punch, compared the CX3, but more room, a bit cheaper. and of course, STICK.

anyone have experience with this one?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35615 posts
21672 upvotes
Center of Universe
It's fun...yay, until you're constantly stuck in gridlock.
I've converted to auto (SUVs I bought don't come in manual) and I try to get the summer car for a weekend run here and there , which is a manual; but I don't miss it.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2373 posts
791 upvotes
Whitehorse
It depends on where your drive. If it is flat terrain, you can get used to automtic. But once you enter hilly terrain, it will drive you nuts.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15127 posts
6523 upvotes
Ottawa
I've owned manual cars for decades now, and I've always hated automatics because they all felt slushy (power transfer is lossy until lockup happens in the torque converter), but the current crop of DCT type autos are a good compromise because power linkage is aways direct and fast no-lag shifting.

Yes, you'll miss shifting somewhat and at first your left leg won't know what to do, but you get used to it. I would only ever get manual again if it was a pure sports car like a MX5, or other dedicated two seater.

Otherwise, I'm fine with a DCT type transmission. The Mazda transmission is a step above most other automatics.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2647 posts
1893 upvotes
Markham
To answer your questions as someone who drives both manual and auto on a daily basis.

1) No not any more. I have no problems driving a manual in traffic, modern clutch pedals are so light this is no longer an issue, at least for me. My old Impreza's clutch might've wore me down after 2 hours, my FRS though...not even an annoyance.

2) None of the alternatives provide the same feel. If you were looking for a direct substitute you'll be very disappointed. DSG boxes are excellent as far as speed is concerned, but they're not visceral in any way and they're the best of these type of gearboxes. Manual modes on regular automatics...I actually get bored with these so I always leave it in D. Often it feels like your gear selection has to go to a committee to get approved, hence you sense delay and sometimes no action even. Even if I bought an auto FRS, I'd rarely touch the manual mode, if ever.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8037 posts
651 upvotes
Brampton
I'm also in a dilemma if I should stick with manual for my next car or not.

There's some good auto's right now with those zf 8 speed or dsg/dct clutchless type autos. Even the normal slush boxes got better. Cvt is still annoying but if the car makes good power it's not that bad.

I've had both automatics and manuals in the past and they both have their up's and downs so I understand how Boring it can be or how tiring it is in traffic I think it comes down to what car and where you will be driving.
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
AMRadio wrote: aiight, i know technology moves onwards and always. and CVTs are smarter than transmissions in the past to the point where, in terms of fuel efficiency, they have eclipsed manual. and i get that manufacturers need to cater to lazy-ass drivers with fewer stick options (and add more "lazy safety" options like blind spot monitoring).

1. I went away from manual for 3 years, and really missed it. I recently got a new car that is 6MT and couldn't be happier. Driving in traffic has never annoyed me.

2. No clue. :)
Jul 19, 2013
166 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Why not HRV? I am not a huge fan, but it comes in stick. Seems like a good competitor to the models you mentioned. Settling for auto/DSG/2 pedal when you wanted a manual will give you second thoughts. Get the stick.
May 14, 2012
383 posts
75 upvotes
PICKERING
AMRadio wrote:
I know taste is personal, but why a CUV???? The higher centre of gravity kills the enjoyment of driving for me. Why not just get a Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza, VW Golf or some other hatch?
Dec 24, 2009
817 posts
459 upvotes
Would not give up manual for a CVT. Would have to be a lightning quick dual clutch
Apr 8, 2010
784 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
been driving auto now for 3 yrs... gawd damn i miss my stick. i'm looking at picking up a beater with stick just so i can drive stick.

problem is it's hard for find manuals now only select cars and manufactures still offering manual :(