EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING - $500USD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 10:11 am
63 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
This is by no means a good deal. Back in the day a card like this was pretty comparable to a GTX 1070, but not any more. In fact with current drivers a GTX 1060 comes surprisingly close to a GTX 980 Ti, with a fraction of the power consumption and heat output. I would not recommend this card at this price. Also note that you will have to pay around $60USD shipping to Canada. Ice cold.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Dec 17, 2009
424 posts
107 upvotes
Yeah performance wise a 980ti is decent but the power consumption is just ridiculous
Nov 14, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
Man...mining has really killed the market for gamers. This is not hot.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Sebpaq wrote: Man...mining has really killed the market for gamers. This is not hot.
Well, one way of looking at it is that mining has made PC gaming completely free...if you can get your hands on a card.

I am hopeful that nVidia and AMD can ramp up supply.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Oct 28, 2012
792 posts
112 upvotes
EDMONTON
This is a bad deal, card will be 2 generations old by the time volta is out in spring.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1783 posts
233 upvotes
This guy explains what is going on in with all this video card business.
Even if he is annoying as hell.
He does talk as if he forgot to take his ritalin, like he has for the last 4 years of his life.Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1783 posts
233 upvotes
Sebpaq wrote: Man...mining has really killed the market for gamers. This is not hot.
Nvidia is finally stepping in and doing something towards all the price gouging so it is the stores who are rising their prices on these 2-3 year old technology(officially released - GeForce GTX 980 Ti June 2, 2015 Code name: GM200) video cards.
I just hope for their next generation of cards they only sell them from their websites like they are doing now with these gen cards and stop the 100 card orders from the same individual and/or company.

Put a stop to these numbskulls who are buying, mining, selling of 50% life cards on ebay to idiots who buy them at 4x their original cost the manufacteurs are actually sending these out to their distributors.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1243 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
I am kind of thankful that the Oculus Rift was on sales during the summer time, that prompted me to buy a GTX 1080 Ti for 900 bucks, which at the time I thought it was ridiculously overpriced already.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Real_GM wrote: I am kind of thankful that the Oculus Rift was on sales during the summer time, that prompted me to buy a GTX 1080 Ti for 900 bucks, which at the time I thought it was ridiculously overpriced already.
The GTX 1080 Ti cards have always been priced extremely fairly considering their performance. We are extremely lucky as gamers that nVidia has not gouged us. They have had no competition at the high end of the market for multiple generations now. Nothing new coming from AMD in 2018 either. AMD RTG is screwed. They are only profitable right now because of the mining.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Real_GM wrote: I am kind of thankful that the Oculus Rift was on sales during the summer time, that prompted me to buy a GTX 1080 Ti for 900 bucks, which at the time I thought it was ridiculously overpriced already.
I feel the same way.

Last Aug/Sept I picked up a 3 month old Zotac GTX 1080 8GB for $570 off of Craigslist, which came with the original store (Best Buy) receipt which I was able to use to register online with Zotac for the warranty.
That is now the GPU in my main VR rig.
The other plus side for that upgrade is that I was then able to transfer the GTX 1060 6GB GPU which was in that rig over to a secondary VR rig for the living room.

Looking back, I too feel lucky how this panned out....there's no way I'd be buying an overpriced GPU in this market, that's if I could find one in stock.
Thankfully I didn't immediately try to sell off the GTX 1060, as it worked out great in that secondary rig, plus is a somewhat decent backup if my main rig had any issues.
I'm also glad that I didn't pick up one of the Zotac GTX 1070's which Generic Computers had in stock for $499 + tax during that same period, as the 1080 came in at about the same price and is a much better card for VR.

SickBeast wrote: The GTX 1080 Ti cards have always been priced extremely fairly considering their performance. We are extremely lucky as gamers that nVidia has not gouged us. They have had no competition at the high end of the market for multiple generations now. Nothing new coming from AMD in 2018 either. AMD RTG is screwed. They are only profitable right now because of the mining.
That's true, as GTX 1080 Ti's were generally available for as low as ~$800 when on sale.
I recall Mike's Computers having the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini for around $818 last Summer, may have been open-box, I don't remember the specifics.
Kinda wish I'd bought it now that I think about it.
Oh well, the vanilla 1080 is serving me well so far, and was about ~$350 less than that Ti would have been after taxes, ECO fee, etc.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Woah! wrote: That's true, as GTX 1080 Ti's were generally available for as low as ~$800 when on sale.
I recall Mike's Computers having the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini for around $818 last Summer, may have been open-box, I don't remember the specifics.
Kinda wish I'd bought it now that I think about it.
Oh well, the vanilla 1080 is serving me well so far, and was about ~$350 less than that Ti would have been after taxes, ECO fee, etc.
I wound up going with a pair of EVGA water cooled GTX 1080 Ti cards. I got them for around $1029 each, the price stayed pretty steady on them until they disappeared from the Canadian market entirely about two weeks ago. If you do go with a GTX 1080 Ti, keep in mind that they do get hot so a mini card is going to throttle down to lower clockspeeds, and I don't recommend mining on them due to the excessive temperatures you'll be hitting.

I bought practically every model of Pascal card from nVidia this generation. What I learned from it was to go with the top card next time so I don't keep on getting the itch to upgrade. :)
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
SickBeast wrote: I wound up going with a pair of EVGA water cooled GTX 1080 Ti cards. I got them for around $1029 each, the price stayed pretty steady on them until they disappeared from the Canadian market entirely about two weeks ago. If you do go with a GTX 1080 Ti, keep in mind that they do get hot so a mini card is going to throttle down to lower clockspeeds, and I don't recommend mining on them due to the excessive temperatures you'll be hitting.

I bought practically every model of Pascal card from nVidia this generation. What I learned from it was to go with the top card next time so I don't keep on getting the itch to upgrade. :)
LOL!!!!
Man, if we only knew....it might have been easier and quicker to just buy GPU's and re-sell them.

Myself, I don't Mine, not interested, but I do understand the fact that people can also pay off their rigs that way and that's pretty cool.

I'm using PC's from the Dell Refurb sales posted here on RFD, so I'm running an i5-2400 w/ GTX 1060 & an i7-3770 w/ GTX 1080.

When I look at what the stores are currently selling "VR Ready" configurations for, I feel extremely lucky that I ended up piecing together my 2 rigs for what was peanuts in comparison.

Most "VR Ready" pre-built PC's come with a somewhat decent processor, yet skimp out with a GTX1050 Ti / GTX 1060 3GB with usually 8GB's of RAM for around the $1500+ mark.

A GTX 1080 equipped "VR Ready" PC is usually around $2000-$2500, or head into the $3K territory for a GTX 1080 Ti equipped one.

I swear this has been the worst Perfect Storm for PC builders who require powerful rigs....Mining....VR....4K displays....all fighting for GPU's & components......NUTS!!!!!!
Dec 20, 2015
552 posts
320 upvotes
LONDON
I love how almost every video card posting in Hot Deals gets down-voted into oblivion and turns into a mining discussion.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Manic1! wrote: Anyone looking for any RX 570's this guy has them all: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/sop ... 17578.html
Ha!
What a dick, eh!
That's somewhat local for me....perhaps a visit is in order, he-he!

Looks like a target ripe for flagging if I've ever seen one.
Let's see how long 'til the ad is removed due to being flagged.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2202 posts
1877 upvotes
Man. To think over a year ago, I wanted to consider picking up a used 980 on Kijiji at around 300-350 range. But kept seeing them almost go for 400+. But didn’t have to time game much so I just didn’t get it.

Will these prices ever die down? I’m thinking as long as crypto is as popular as ever, we will never see low prices on GPU again.

I’m thinking there might be an influx of people in a year or 2 trying to offload their older model GPUs, so they can buy more powerful and energy efficient ones. But who want those cards now when they were put under intense stress, mining for 24/7.
Jan 19, 2008
480 posts
298 upvotes
Allen84 wrote: Man. To think over a year ago, I wanted to consider picking up a used 980 on Kijiji at around 300-350 range. But kept seeing them almost go for 400+. But didn’t have to time game much so I just didn’t get it.

Will these prices ever die down? I’m thinking as long as crypto is as popular as ever, we will never see low prices on GPU again.

I’m thinking there might be an influx of people in a year or 2 trying to offload their older model GPUs, so they can buy more powerful and energy efficient ones. But who want those cards now when they were put under intense stress, mining for 24/7.
From what I here Nvidia will be releasing 11 series GPU's in the 3rd quarter. When those come out you will see some miners sell there old cards for new cards.
Dec 20, 2015
552 posts
320 upvotes
LONDON
Manic1! wrote: From what I here Nvidia will be releasing 11 series GPU's in the 3rd quarter. When those come out you will see some miners sell there old cards for new cards.
Will these even be available to the mere public or will they be all instantly be crawled and purchased with bots like concert tickets?