• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 3:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
42 posts
21 upvotes

Excellent wifi router suggestions

I have dsl which is up to 50 mbps.

Currently, router speed for 2.4ghz support up to 600mbps and 5ghz support up to 1300mbps.

I did a quick speed test over wifi on 5ghz. I'm getting speeds of around 866mbps.

If I buy a new router where 5ghz supports up to 1700mbps, will I get speeds of around 1300mbps? Or getting a new router is irrelevant?

On wire, I receive the full advertised speed of 50mbps which is good.

Any suggestion? Buy a new router can increase speed? I'm trying to get the most out of it for the expensive internet payment each month
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
Supermantd wrote: I'm trying to get the most out of it for the expensive internet payment each month
If it's only for this, I don't get why you need a new router.
Even 2.4ghz now is covering your needs since your internet is only 50mbps.
Wifi sucks in terms of rated vs real world speed, but even at damn near worst case 600mbps should still be better than what your internet provides.

That said, I have no recommendation at the moment since Ubiquit doesn't have Wifi 6 equipment last I looked so there's nothing I can recommend to team with pfSense.
I think you should still buy a pfSense but it won't actually "fix" any of the "problems" you have now. It's just an excellent router.

The only thing wifi speed is affecting currently for you is internal transfers. You're maxing out your internet.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you just want better WiFi, keep your existing router and get an EAP245 from Amazon.

I think it is still on sale. Plug this into your router and disable the WiFi on the router

The EAP245 is an access point. Routers that offer WiFi do a lousy job in general.
Last edited by Gee on Jul 12th, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9068 posts
3072 upvotes
Toronto
Supermantd wrote: I have dsl which is up to 50 mbps.

Currently, router speed for 2.4ghz support up to 600mbps and 5ghz support up to 1300mbps.

I did a quick speed test over wifi on 5ghz. I'm getting speeds of around 866mbps.

If I buy a new router where 5ghz supports up to 1700mbps, will I get speeds of around 1300mbps? Or getting a new router is irrelevant?

On wire, I receive the full advertised speed of 50mbps which is good.

Any suggestion? Buy a new router can increase speed? I'm trying to get the most out of it for the expensive internet payment each month
You could use an app like WiFi Analyzer to ensure that you are not using crowded bands and to check for signal strength around your place. You might also need to check the placement of your router. It should be in the centre of the space you want covered - both vertically and horizontally.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19038 posts
6407 upvotes
Toronto
If the DSL speed is 50 mbps, how can you getting 866?
[OP]
Jun 8, 2020
42 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for the questions and replies.

I used wifi analyzer. On 2.4ghz band, it is using channel 11 and another person is using channel 11 as well. Sometimes it is on channel 1 and another person is on channel 1.

My 5ghz band is on a unique channel.

I'm not exactly sure what dsl 50 means. It is a sales term advertised on the internet provider website. Usually it is called fiber 50 or dsl 50. When I run speed test it gives me around 45mbps.

If I am on 5ghz, wifi analyzer shows around 866. Maybe giving false information.

Anyway, I might consider a wifi extender or powerline adapter. I cant really move my router at the moment.