• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2019 4:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 3, 2009
122 posts
18 upvotes

Excessive roofing granules loss

I had a new Iko Cambridge roof installed in May 2018 and have found granules on my deck and patio lounger since then. I'm located in Edmonton so had a snow covered roof from November to March. I initially thought it was new shingle granule shed but it's been over a year now and it's still all over my deck, especially after it rains. There is also a fair amount of granules in my gutter as well. I don't understand why it's ending up on my deck and not just staying in the gutter. My roof has good ventilation according to my roofer so I'm wondering if I got a defective batch installed. My roofer has been by and we agreed to keep an eye on it and can start a claim if it continues. He hasn't heard from his other customers with the same problem. He also has a good reputation and does roofing for other renovation companies. My question is if this granule amount of loss is acceptable.
Images
  • 20190605_121631.jpg
  • 20190605_121902.jpg
  • 20190605_121645.jpg
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8185 posts
1123 upvotes
It could be that the black shingles will attract the sun more and make them much hotter than lighter colored shingles, which could cause the granules to come off more easily. This is what I suspect happened to me and my black roof had lasted around 14 years - it wasn't considered a defect in my case.

When I had a roof replacement done I went with a lighter color, a grey instead.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2742 posts
4294 upvotes
Laval
could be a bad batch of roofing shingles, hope you roofer save the lot number for the warranty
remember to give credit to the O.P if your going to repost it on reddit > bapcsalescanada
[OP]
May 3, 2009
122 posts
18 upvotes
2Riskit wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 7:45 pm
could be a bad batch of roofing shingles, hope you roofer save the lot number for the warranty
How common does something like this happen? A bad batch. Just trying to differentiate between what's normal and what's not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6225 posts
883 upvotes
Very unusual. I never noticed those granules coming off my roof until it was about 20 years old and then from that time forward there was a lot coming off. I moved at the 22 year point and the new owner replaced the roof at the 24-25 year point.

It's my understanding that the main purpose of the granules is to shield the underneath asphalt layers from UV/sunlight. If enough granules are lost then the UV will reach and destroy the materials underneath and the shingles begin to fail. Nonetheless there is no way this should be happening on an almost new roof.

Yeah, black is a bad color for shingles because it absorbs heat and shortens their life.
[OP]
May 3, 2009
122 posts
18 upvotes
It's getting pretty ridiculous because we like to go barefoot on the deck and need to sweep it all the time. I would love a roofer to chime in with their opinion.
Oct 22, 2016
222 posts
137 upvotes
Comox Valley
At this time, I do not think it is that serious, under the following circumstances. Roof was done last year, and that is when the granular loss happens by the work been done on the roof, and it just laid of the top of the shingles. There is nothing happening during the winter with the snow covering it. Now Spring time, into the summer the rains, and wind are starting to wash off these granules
If this is the case, I think it is normal, and next year would give a better picture.

However if it was my roof and to give you piece of mind, do the following actions. Get on the roof with a garden hose (not pressure washer), and spray down the roof, to wash off as most loose granules as possible. Then wash out the gutters. Check the gutters (or your deck) in a month or two, to see how many granules there are laying around. If you take these actions, it will give you a better idea if it is a problem. I suggest do not tell the contractor, or IKO you are doing this. I would not want them to try to use any reasons, if this loss continues.

Get back to us, if you take this route, or any other.

As for darker shingles, they will deteriorate quicker, but they will hide there defects/dirt/algae better. What this does, in my mind, is make the roof look better than what it actually is. I have had insurance companies look at lighter color shingle roofs, and say they have to be re-done, when in actual fact they are in better shape that the darker color ones. Especially on the West Coast with the amount of rain and trees, I prefer a darker color.

I am glad that you have a good roofing contractor, who has looked into this for you. As for IKO, I have no love for them, although I do not despise them. I prefer GAf and CertainTeed better. IKO once did me wrong on a commercial roof, 20 years ago. I brought them out to give me the specifications on a commercial roof. There specs were wrong, and this flat roof failed without 2 years. I went back to IKO, and they refused to take responsibility, so it went to Court. Two weeks before then they finally stepped up, with my insurance company to say they were at fault and paid out. It was a crappy thing having to go through.
[OP]
May 3, 2009
122 posts
18 upvotes
My roofer first came three weeks ago when I first contacted him and he actually suggested using the hose on the roof. We hadn't taken our hose out of storage yet and I was in a rush so didn't end up hosing it down. He came by the second time two days ago and said there were less granules in the gutter than the first visit. We have lots of rain in the forecast the next few days and he said he will come back next week. He's also talked to his sales rep about it and it doesn't sound like the rep is denying it being possibly defective. The roofer suggesting to make a claim if the granules continue showing on the deck is a little reassuring. I'd rather just not have to deal with it all. I regret going with Iko big time now. Should've paid more for something better...
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11418 upvotes
Oakville
If the granules are hitting your deck, doesn't that mean that water is also missing your gutter? Maybe the gutter is too low?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8185 posts
1123 upvotes
FloraC wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 3:48 am
My roofer first came three weeks ago when I first contacted him and he actually suggested using the hose on the roof. We hadn't taken our hose out of storage yet and I was in a rush so didn't end up hosing it down. He came by the second time two days ago and said there were less granules in the gutter than the first visit. We have lots of rain in the forecast the next few days and he said he will come back next week. He's also talked to his sales rep about it and it doesn't sound like the rep is denying it being possibly defective. The roofer suggesting to make a claim if the granules continue showing on the deck is a little reassuring. I'd rather just not have to deal with it all. I regret going with Iko big time now. Should've paid more for something better...
Iko is not my preferred shingle either and I'm hoping this matter will resolve itself in your favor also. You do have a good roofer working with you. Owens Corning and Certanteed are Consumers Reports 2 top rated brands. Shingles are definitely not something you want to go cheap on - Iko's are not a bad mid brand.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!