Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1126 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto

Excessively loud motorbikes

They are disruptive to everyone else but the losers who ride them. I live on the 14th floor and can hear some clearly as they travel the street below.

Why don’t people complain about those blustering Harleys and sportbikes? It’s terrible sound pollution and really brings the city down. Such a shame. Aren’t there bylaws? Not enforced? Why can’t bike owners be more considerate to neighbours?
Last edited by shipill on Aug 21st, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4114 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
shipill wrote: They are disruptive to everyone else but the losers who ride them. I live on the 14th floor and can hear some clearly as they travel the street below.

Why don’t people complain about those blustering Harleys and sportbikes? It’s terrible sound pollution and really brings the city down. Such a shame. Aren’t there bylaws? Not enforced? Why can’t bike owners be more considerate to neighbours?
What has happened when you complained?
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10355 posts
3542 upvotes
Every excessively loud motorcycle rider will tell you it’s for safety. Be heard or get squashed. May have some truth but harleys with stock exchaust are obnoxious enough. When those guys get their pipes going or whatever it’s really inconsiderate unless you only hit the highway. Looping downtown blocks ruining the hearing and interrupting conversations of anyone trying to enjoy downtown.

There are devices much like speed cameras that measure sound and take photos. Place these on the usual roads where being annoying loud does bot result in increase safety like side streets. Would be a cash cow.

Cops like their harleys too I wouldn’t expect this problem to be fixed any time soon.

Only hope is electric motorcycles start taking some share of the market. However they’ll probably have a. JBL / BOSE / Metallica co branded speaker with fake exhaust noises that are even worse
Autocorrect sucks
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
People probably complain, but to wrong place, police don't care. People should not need to complain, vehicle like this should not last 10min without citation.

There is enough regulations for excessive sound levels or removed mufflers on city, provincial and federal levels.

I generally do not complain about things, but if looking for most optimal venue to send complaint, forget local or regional police, waste of effort. Complain to city and possibly to OIPRD about cops not doing their job.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20478 posts
4239 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of these idiots are off duty cops. That's why nothing ever gets done about them.

Remember the giant crowd of hundreds of them that decided to go block off the highway and pull all sorts of illegal stunts a few years back? Notice how not a single one of them was ever caught? It's because they don't want them caught.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1202 posts
806 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Really though, unless a cop is actual witness to the incidents, like just happen to be there when the idiot does it,,,how are they to do anything about it?
Jul 2, 2021
210 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
I agree and cannot wait for all vehicles to become EV and make it extremely inconvenient to drive these ICE vehicles with loud exhaust noises.

Cops don't ticket these assholes enough. It should be like speeding tickets and impound the vehicles after certain level/times of being ticketed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9987 posts
7937 upvotes
Kootenays
GangStarr wrote:
There are devices much like speed cameras that measure sound and take photos. Place these on the usual roads where being annoying loud does bot result in increase safety like side streets. Would be a cash cow.
Edmonton tried this as a pilot project a couple of years ago. They found that people would gather in front of the display and see who could generate the highest decibel rating. The project was cancelled.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5142851
Last edited by smacd on Aug 22nd, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10355 posts
3542 upvotes
Beneful1 wrote: Really though, unless a cop is actual witness to the incidents, like just happen to be there when the idiot does it,,,how are they to do anything about it?
They seem to take stunting pretty serious on cars (I guess despite all those idiotic firework laden donut fests that they do)

The 400 series are covered in cameras and the police have the power of the radio. I guess too many guys wear all black where it might be hard to pin them.

That’s why we should do what they’d In many Latin American countries. Mandate a yellow safety vest with your license plate on the back. Usually that’s to slow down or identify sicarios but still

Have you seen how these guys install plates on their bike? I mean I hate the front license plates on cars for looks but they are there for a reason.

Cops like their bikes. Won’t go against brother is what I figure.

I’d really like to find these guys who ride around downtown Vancouver playing enter sandman looping the same blocks showing off their loud bikes which nobody cares about (it’s downtown Vancouver not port Dover on Friday the 13). I wish I could find where these middle age men live and come and wake up their kids by ringing the door bell a lot at 2 am.

Nothing will change in this regard.

Austria and Switzerland ban 95+ Db bikes. The way it should be.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1160 posts
1155 upvotes
Toronto
There are kids out there that think bringing out your harley or crotch rocket at 1am in some suburban area is a fantastic idea. Its a very common occurrence now and it can be annoying, it can be heard for miles.

It is not illegal but very inconsiderate. Winter they will all go away. If it is a major problem in your area, write to your regional councilor, MPs etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3623 posts
1561 upvotes
Toronto
I always wonder if those bikers wear ear protection when they operate their bike.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3891 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
-------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9987 posts
7937 upvotes
Kootenays
DJ Trance AZ wrote: I always wonder if those bikers wear ear protection when they operate their bike.
When you're riding, it's not nearly as loud because the sound is behind you and being projected to the rear.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
We don't have California weather here so the brunt of it should only last as long as the good summer weather and some of fall maybe.
Aug 5, 2007
394 posts
345 upvotes
Thorkell wrote:
Austria and Switzerland ban 95+ Db bikes. The way it should be.
Won’t change anything, it’s the aftermarket that makes loud exhausts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: There are devices much like speed cameras that measure sound and take photos. Place these on the usual roads where being annoying loud does bot result in increase safety like side streets. Would be a cash cow.
The science isn't settled. Unlike speed, DB is measure with a variable of distance. I can shove the mic up the tailpipe and every ICE will fail.

That's the problem with those device, a lot of them don't consider distance. And even if they get the distance right, what's international standard is there for being loud? My dog can yelp at 98db at 2 feet.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4318 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Used to have a neighbour with a straight piped Harley that went to work every day at 6am. I'm pretty sure everyone on the block hated his guts.

Cops are too busy towing cars for speeding or chirping their tires. Honestly it seems like cops don't even pull bikes over for speeding, I guess assuming they'll run.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3008 upvotes
I am guilty of this behaviour as I had many aftermarket exhaust systems over the years.

I never had a motorcycle with a straight pipe, but still... some of my exhausts were pretty loud. Today, I am against them.

Back in the day, I tried to tune bikes to get the maximum amount of power out of them. That was my excuse.

One day I stopped. It was too much noise and cost, and not enough additional HP to justify it. In the modern day japanese sportbike market (let's say last 10-12 years), there is absolutely no need to buy an aftermarket exhaust. Noise goes way up, but power doesn't. Dyno charts demonstrate that HP gains are 1%... or a little bit more... at an RPM range that is not practical for the street.... in other words, the bike comes totally tuned for maximum practical performance. Why bother? Why become a nuisance to the neighborhood?

I know for Harleys is different. It is noise for the sake of noise.
9160 posts
4507 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Every excessively loud motorcycle rider will tell you it’s for safety. Be heard or get squashed. May have some truth but harleys with stock exchaust are obnoxious enough.
Pretty sure all of that was debunked in traffic studies already, I seem to recall it coming up in a previous thread but I'm at work and can't cite it right now, I hope someone else can pop in with it. I believe the tl;dr was that humans are really lousy at placing sound, particularly when in moving vehicles with soundproofing. The noise/safety argument would resonate a bit more with me if I saw even half of the riders wearing sufficient protective gear.

Let's be honest, it is done for attention and the excuses are all nonsense. It's primarily a public nuisance and to a lesser extent, a public health concern. I'm actually dealing with a situation right now where our rental tenant is being awoken by a neighbor arriving home late with their obnoxiously loud bike. There isn't much I can do, nor does it seem that the police are all that interested in helping out. The tenant is going to be forced to escalate it with the city re: bylaw enforcement and the police.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)