Ontario

Exhaust question

2007 Elantra, 250K. So I don't want to pour a whole lot of money into this

The flange has given way on the resonator side, connecting to the muffler

Would one recommend just going with a flange repair kit, such as;

https://www.amazon.ca/Walker-31884-Exha ... B0015KUC5W
-or-
https://www.amazon.ca/Walker-36131-Hard ... B0015KXODO

or suck it up and get the resonator pipe assembly?

If one of the former, is there anywhere local (GTHA), that would have them in store? I can wait for an Amazon delivery, if necessary.

I also have some FiberFix, in the meantime, so long as I'm not going to bugger things up with using it, not that it would last long.

Thanks
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
That looks like it broke after the flange so buying a new one will not resolve the issue since its rusted/broken and wont be long enough. You will likely need to cut a it further back and weld in a small section of pipe.
if you are in the GTA West take your car to Hot Rod Scotts they will fix that properly in no time.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rod+scotts
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
DIY exhaust work is the absolute worst. I suggest you just take it to a shop and let them cobble it back together. It'll probably cost you $100-200 but saving the aggravation is worth it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Too rusty for the flange kits to work you gotta slice that thing back about 2" to good metal and then weld on a new piece to extend it back up to the muffler.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A good muffler shop will have that patched up and on your way in 15 minutes for under $100, they can do that with their eyes closed.

Don't bother with DIY, there's no point.

I can recommend Tech Tune Exhaust in Etobicoke - honest guy doing quality work.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
A friend had their mid pipe rust out like yours too at the flange. I don't remember where I brought it (around keele/steeles) area. $65 and he cut both pipes and welded on a new one (now flangeless).
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks all.

I'll take it to the local garage. I called him up and explained and he estimated $100 at top end. I trust these guys, they don't repair something that doesn't need repairing. I might save a bit going elsewhere, but I might not. "Oh no, we're going to have to replace the whole thing".

Also a good opportunity for an oil change.

Alas, another excuse to get a new car has been crushed.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
er34er34 wrote: A good muffler shop will have that patched up and on your way in 15 minutes for under $100, they can do that with their eyes closed.

+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
er34er34 wrote: A good muffler shop will have that patched up and on your way in 15 minutes for under $100, they can do that with their eyes closed.

Agree - trying to DIY it you could end up fuming as well as exhausted.
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
43 upvotes
Take it to minute muffler on finch and weston area, ask the guy to give u a quote his prices usually cheaper than the actual part to replace at Canadian tire. Will bend new pipe and weld a section
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
How are the rusts on the exhaust pipe? If your joint is like that, your midpipe, resonator, muffler could be shot as well. Anything you spend now will be putting an expansive bandaid when it would be cost benefit to just order $200 catback from eBay and install that. I manage to find stainless catback from California delivered for $200 plus another $200 for installation for my winterbeater.
Jan 18, 2017
824 posts
421 upvotes

+1. They'd probably cut off both ends and weld a pipe. If you're close to Brampton, check out:

C&D Muffler
4 Melanie Dr, Brampton, ON L6T 4L1
(905) 458-8439

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)