Entertainment

ABC The Conners (post scandal sitcom salvage w/o Roseanne -- previously 'Darlene' ABC salvage strategy)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2018 6:17 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17423 posts
12772 upvotes
Toronto

ABC The Conners (post scandal sitcom salvage w/o Roseanne -- previously 'Darlene' ABC salvage strategy)

Talk gets louder of a show featuring all or most of the Roseanne cast (less one impulsive tweeter -- no not the President)

I think TMZ is a little hit and miss (but their graphic is pretty apt) so take that into account

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/01/abc-talki ... character/
Last edited by jenviea on Jun 22nd, 2018 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
27 replies
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
It won't work, Roseanne was the engine and spark of that show. Its like trying to remake "Three's Company" without "Jack" or "Superman" without Superman.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote: It won't work, Roseanne was the engine and spark of that show. Its like trying to remake "Three's Company" without "Jack" or "Superman" without Superman.
I could never stand her. The family was always far more interesting anyway.

Making a spin-off about Darlene sounds good. If they do it right it could be more popular than the main show, like how 'Frasier' successfully spun off of 'Cheers'.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2316 posts
1091 upvotes
I"d watch it, the supporting cast of this show is deep compared to say the walking crap, most of the jokes and zingers come from the other (younger) members and Rosanne seems to have lost a few steps, age, drug abuse, she seemed real slow in delivering her lines. What would be funny, the premiere would state "mother" got run over by a black ape at the zoo. haha
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
Well, a show getting rid of its title character/actor is not unheard of, anyone remember the show “Valerie” from the 80s? Valerie Harper pissed off the producers, so they killed off her character and the show continued (first as “Valerie’s Family”, and then later as “The Hogan Family”). It lasted through all the name changes and went on for several seasons.

It wouldn’t be the worst idea, the show has a lot of solid actors, I’d be interested to see where they would go with it.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
jerrysiz wrote: Well, a show getting rid of its title character/actor is not unheard of, anyone remember the show “Valerie” from the 80s? Valerie Harper pissed off the producers, so they killed off her character and the show continued (first as “Valerie’s Family”, and then later as “The Hogan Family”). It lasted through all the name changes and went on for several seasons.

It wouldn’t be the worst idea, the show has a lot of solid actors, I’d be interested to see where they would go with it.
I was just thinking of that show when I was watching the new season of arrested development. That's the first show I remember Michael Bluth being it... long time agoooo.. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
zod wrote: I was just thinking of that show when I was watching the new season of arrested development. That's the first show I remember Michael Bluth being it... long time agoooo.. lol.
A very long time ago, he’s aged remarkably well. I also strangely remember that show for having the “Wheat Thins lady” join the cast to play the aunt after they killed off Valerie. Christ, I’m old. Lol.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
How to ruin your career with one social media post.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
jerrysiz wrote: Well, a show getting rid of its title character/actor is not unheard of, anyone remember the show “Valerie” from the 80s? Valerie Harper pissed off the producers, so they killed off her character and the show continued (first as “Valerie’s Family”, and then later as “The Hogan Family”). It lasted through all the name changes and went on for several seasons.

Loved The Hogan Family; never knew it by any other name (I was a kid). Step by Step was also a good show.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Apart from the fact that they'd have to figure out what to do with the title, I think that they could do the show without Roseanne. There's enough characters that they could do it, and Dan/Jackie (Roseanne's sister) had an interesting enough dynamic that they could work off of each other instead of Roseanne.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: It won't work, Roseanne was the engine and spark of that show. Its like trying to remake "Three's Company" without "Jack" or "Superman" without Superman.
Or Batman without Batman.... oh wait.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
If they brought back married with children in 2018 would they have to clean it up? Am i in the minority when I look at that show or shows like it and just not anything wrong with them? Now all I see shows with lesbians and gay couples, female president, hmm what else. Can't think of anything else be side everything seems to suck.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
Agree. I like the show but I would not watch it if Roseanne was not in it.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: If they brought back married with children in 2018 would they have to clean it up? Am i in the minority when I look at that show or shows like it and just not anything wrong with them? Now all I see shows with lesbians and gay couples, female president, hmm what else. Can't think of anything else be side everything seems to suck.
I don't think they could sell the idea of Al being a womens' shoe salesman anymore. "No Ma'am" could still fly, though...
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2011
1577 posts
1189 upvotes
Won't work. Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are the only ones who can act on the show and there's no conflict without Roseanne.
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
there is actual talk of taking the reigns from the girl who plays darlene as it was her idea of the rosanne reboot. and calling it "dan" and basically they do a reversal of what they did to dan in the original series of killing him off, but doing it with rosanne. then the show would continue as it did without the title character and just having dan as the parent figure. i am all for that

as far as spins offs being more popular than the show that they spun off from that's debatable. fraser as popular as it was, could never get the popularity that cheers had. i for one could not stand his smarmy attitude and stuck up air about him. plus from my recollection, i think cheers had already ended or was at the end when fraser started. so that helped it survive or else it may have petered out after a season or two if competing with cheers.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
won't work...Darlene is boring.

all the best parts of the reboot was the interaction with the cast to "Rosanne"...those were the best laughs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)