• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2004 11:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 14, 2004
501 posts

Exotic Foods / Delicacies

What are some good eats? I'm the kind of person that never really tries anything new to eat... well that differs so much than what I normally eat.
But after eating these "different" food and it tasting pretty good I'd try out some more! If it tastes good and you know a location on where to get it, please tell :cheesygri

Here are some of the last few items I found that tasted pretty good. (I wish they posted a picture of the creature/animal ALIVE before I ate it as I was clueless and was surprised/shocked on what it was after I googled it!)

1. Isopod thread Scary picture. Tasted good so guess I'd eat it again. Was like shrimp. Anyone happen to know whats it called or is isopod the correct term? Had this in Vancouver.

2. Squab. Google told me it was a young pigeon. I had this at Truffles along with a rabbit. I think I ate a pigeon before at a Chinese restaurant.

3. Unhatched Chicken/Duck EGGS partially grown Was told it was a Vietnamese delicacy. Most Chinese people I spoke with was disgusted at the idea. So it seems to be only parts of the Oriental that likes it. Just boiled it and had it with salt and pepper. I started loving this! I justify it by saying that I eat eggs & chicken. Is it really that disgusting?!?

Thats all I can think of now. I will NOT touch dogs, cats, guniea pigs (read about this in the news?).
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1685 posts
251 upvotes
Vancouver
Jetran wrote: 3. Unhatched Chicken/Duck EGGS partially grown Was told it was a Vietnamese delicacy. Most Chinese people I spoke with was disgusted at the idea. So it seems to be only parts of the Oriental that likes it. Just boiled it and had it with salt and pepper. I started loving this! I justify it by saying that I eat eggs & chicken. Is it really that disgusting?!?
Oh ick! My dad eats that! It's got feathers and everything...

I will admit to drinking the broth, but I can't bring myself to eat the chick.
Mar 4, 2003
459 posts
Jetran wrote: 3. Unhatched Chicken/Duck EGGS partially grown Was told it was a Vietnamese delicacy.
I think that's Balut, Philipine's delicacy. You can see the picture here
[OP]
Oct 14, 2004
501 posts
That picture looks disgusting :cheesygri
I never knew the name.. I assume thats the Phillipine name for it.

Also what feathers?
Mar 15, 2004
307 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
well i'm chinese so i would have to say shark's fin soup. Expensive but the best thing ever. To me at least :)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
15 upvotes
head out to your local arab/persian restraunt.

you can get Cow tongue, brains..

I'm not the biggest fan, but i got alot of friends who just love brains.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
deep friend pigs intestine with sweet and sour sauce + nose plugs > *.food
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9326 posts
921 upvotes
GTA
I have had the unhatched egg thing before (in Vietnam). You can actually see the little bird through the white of the egg.. !!

I also ate rat when I was in Thailand! It tastes very grainy (like sand) (it was minced rat)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5375 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
Cow's feet suppose to be a delicasy somewhere too.

I have tried BRain. It is good (if cooked right). V.unique taste (Not like chicken)
For Sale:
  • Canon 6D ii
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7287 posts
2701 upvotes
MVRD
Reading this thread just makes me want to throw up....
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON (9th…
Watch "A Cook's Tour", its a very good show. He visits different places trying out unique and unusual things. Once he had a cobras heart still beating.

www.google.com or www.foodnetwork.ca
Sep 20, 2004
122 posts
One dish that traditional chinese people eat is Ginger and Pigs Feet. It's suppose to be really good for pregnant woman too.
What would Quagmire say about all these great deals?

"Giggedy, giggedy, giggedy ... ALLLLLLLL RIGHT"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5400 posts
199 upvotes
Mississauga
Jetran wrote:What are some good eats? I'm the kind of person that never really tries anything new to eat... well that differs so much than what I normally eat.
But after eating these "different" food and it tasting pretty good I'd try out some more! If it tastes good and you know a location on where to get it, please tell :cheesygri

Here are some of the last few items I found that tasted pretty good. (I wish they posted a picture of the creature/animal ALIVE before I ate it as I was clueless and was surprised/shocked on what it was after I googled it!)

1. Isopod thread Scary picture. Tasted good so guess I'd eat it again. Was like shrimp. Anyone happen to know whats it called or is isopod the correct term? Had this in Vancouver.

2. Squab. Google told me it was a young pigeon. I had this at Truffles along with a rabbit. I think I ate a pigeon before at a Chinese restaurant.

3. Unhatched Chicken/Duck EGGS partially grown Was told it was a Vietnamese delicacy. Most Chinese people I spoke with was disgusted at the idea. So it seems to be only parts of the Oriental that likes it. Just boiled it and had it with salt and pepper. I started loving this! I justify it by saying that I eat eggs & chicken. Is it really that disgusting?!?

Thats all I can think of now. I will NOT touch dogs, cats, guniea pigs (read about this in the news?).
2. An expensive delicacy, and ironically, it was eaten by the poor first and somehow became a high-priced commodity for the rich

3. Chinese people know that this is a delicacy, barbaric, but a delicacy nonetheless. I don't know what Chinese people you've talked to, but I'm Chinese and I asked my parents about this and they mention that this is indeed very expensive, yet barbaric.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2004
501 posts
chatbox wrote:Reading this thread just makes me want to throw up....
I think I'm getting a bit sick too... and I'm the original poster :cheesygri
Guess I'm just trying to absorb all the foods that people eat.

Or I'll do what I did before have someone else order for me and eat it. Google it afterwards! All Degenerate's fault... I would have never google'd anything if I haven't seen that isopod thread.

So it seems like next item on the To Eat list should be cow's brain as it was the most popular so far. I love eating crab/lobster brains though... but still a little hestitant on the thought of cow's.