Exotic Foods / Delicacies

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2004 11:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 14, 2004
501 posts
M-e-X-x wrote:2. An expensive delicacy, and ironically, it was eaten by the poor first and somehow became a high-priced commodity for the rich

3. Chinese people know that this is a delicacy, barbaric, but a delicacy nonetheless. I don't know what Chinese people you've talked to, but I'm Chinese and I asked my parents about this and they mention that this is indeed very expensive, yet barbaric.
#2 you got that right. I don't think I could eat one of those diease bags from the streets. The ones served are bred right?

#3 I guess I am mistaken then. I've asked several people and they all are disgusted about it. Only people I've met were Vietnamese people that heard about what I was talking about. These aren't THAT expensive. Like $1 for 3 chicken eggs or $1 for a duck egg; estimates of course.
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had snake meat before (allegedly). It tastes quite chewy. However, part of the "snake meat" somehow contained bones. Hmm.. maybe it's rat, but it tastes good so who cares ;)

I thought squab, shark fin, oysters, geoduck, turtles are quite common Chinese dishes and I've tried all of them.

I've heard that kangaroo meat tastes quite good. I'd try that the next time I swing by Australia :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4831 posts
271 upvotes
I have NOT tried this. But in some places in China they used to (some places still do but its illegal) eat monkey brain. To make sure its "fresh" they dont kill the monkey. The craft a special table with a hole in the middel and they stick the monkey's head in there while its still alive. Then they bash open its head (while its still alive) and pour hot oil in to cook it and eat it. (Again while the monkey is still alive, well sort of)
Mar 15, 2004
307 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
they had that monkey brain in one of the Indiana Jones movie. NOt sure which one but i remember it.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
mrchinky wrote:they had that monkey brain in one of the Indiana Jones movie. NOt sure which one but i remember it.
Temple of Doom.

"Docta Jones! Docta Jones! No more pawachute!!"
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart