• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2022 2:03 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2014
824 posts
128 upvotes
Canada

Experience with Apple refurb products?

I’ve never purchased anything through Apple’s official refurb section. If you have in the past what was the experience as far as quality of the product? Could you tell it was refurb and did it last as long as it would if purchased new?
9 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
AchtungB4by wrote: I’ve never purchased anything through Apple’s official refurb section. If you have in the past what was the experience as far as quality of the product? Could you tell it was refurb and did it last as long as it would if purchased new?
I had purchased an iPad for a relative as a gift. iOS devices get new outer shell and battery.

Recommended a family friend to buy a refurbished MacBook Air M1 for their teen when it became available. It looked like new and they have had no issues with it.

Guaranteed Apple quality.
Certified refurbished products are backed by a one-year warranty and the Apple Certified Refurbished promise.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/refurbished

Here’s what you get.
You will receive a refurbished device with genuine Apple replacement parts (as needed) that has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected. Refurbished iOS devices will come with new battery and outer shell. Every device will come with all accessories, cables and operating systems. All Apple Certified Refurbished products are packaged in a brand new white box and will be sent to you with free shipping and returns.

Watch this Mac Address video

Are Apple's Refurbished computers any good?
If you want to save some money on your Apple device, the options can be slim. But there are ways, and we explore one of the better known options.
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20783 posts
6259 upvotes
GTA
Recommended. I have never owned an Apple device personally since the 80gb iPod, but have helped family look for deals on Apple products over the years. I always look and end up telling them to order from refurb. It's basically brand new, but with a brown box and no fancy white box with embossed product photo.
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: Recommended. I have never owned an Apple device personally since the 80gb iPod, but have helped family look for deals on Apple products over the years. I always look and end up telling them to order from refurb. It's basically brand new, but with a brown box and no fancy white box with embossed product photo.
That has changed a few years ago.

Apple Certified Refurbished products are packaged in a brand new white box that just says refurbished in small lettering. Watch the video in my previous post.
Destiny is all
Oct 12, 2005
361 posts
154 upvotes
Markham, ON
My first refurb purchase was an iPod nano 2GB back in 2007. I think I still have it somewhere... If nobody told me, I wouldn't know it was refurb. Everything was perfect. There were no scratches at all and battery life was fine.

After that, I bought a "Late 2012" refurbished Mac mini back in March, 2013. It has an Intel (3rd-gen) Core i7 CPU in it. I think I upgraded the RAM on it so it has 8GB and then got a Crucial 2TB SATA SSD for it a few years ago. It's still running Mojave today, as I still occasionally use iTunes to sync songs to my iPad & iPhone. I have it connected to my TV. I use it mainly for downloading stuff and storing stuff I haven't watched on it.

It was like new when I first got it. Since it's not being handled, it still looks new from the outside. I haven't bought any refurbished items from Apple recently though. I wanted to buy a refurbished iPad Pro to replace my eight-year-old iPad mini 3, but I couldn't find any from the refurb store that has specs that fit my needs.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3017 posts
1499 upvotes
I have bought and currently own the following from Apple's Refurb Store
- 2012 Mac Mini (last year the RAM wasn't secured to the motherboard and you could upgrade)....bought in 2013
- 2013 MacBook Pro...bought in 2014
- iPad Mini 5th Gen
- iPhone X

All devices are still going strong with no issues.

I would 100% buy from Apple's Refurb store if you miss out on the BTS or Black Friday/Boxing Day sales.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4084 posts
3360 upvotes
The discounts are pretty shallow on refurbished items, I'm pretty much tempted to just get it new at that point...If I bought Apple for myself that is. I hope they change the SSD as well, not sure how much wear the previous person loaded into the phone/tablet.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1884 posts
757 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
What's considered "a new outer shell" for an iPhone? Front and back glass, buttons, etc?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1585 posts
1390 upvotes
Etobicoke
I have bought an refurb IPAD proof two occasions - no issues with either -Just like new and $200 off each
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21253 posts
7662 upvotes
Toronto
The Apple refurbs look brand new, but I generally don't buy Apple refurbished much these days, specifically because my credit card does not offer extended warranty on any refurbished products, including from Apple.

So I buy new, or else education new, as my credit card covers extended warranty on both of those. When education discounts are available, the prices are either relatively close to refurbished, or occasionally are exactly the same. I qualify for edu pricing, but even if you don't, if you order online, Apple never checks.

Mind you, I went with used for the last Mac I bought, which was an M1 Mac I bought last month. It was an eBay purchase, which I bought because it was a full 1/3rd off retail, and much, much cheaper than edu. I lucked out because it turns out it had less than 1 week of total power-on time of usage (<150 hours), with just over 150 power cycles. Basically it means on average it was powered on maybe 1-2X a week over the course of its previous <2 year life, but for less than 1 hour of usage each time. No remaining warranty at all though.