• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2012 2:44 pm
[OP]
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Experience with Caracquire

Has anyone heard of caracquire.com? They have contacted me about a car I am selling, can't seem to find any reviews on them. Any experiences?
38 replies
[OP]
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I have hesitantly signed up yesterday, with my spider sense tingling allover. 24hrs later, I think I am regretting that decision.
Their deal is for $500 they advertize the sale on different places (didn't even ask on how many> :( ), and can arrange financing if a buyer is found. They have a 2 portion of their fee, and supposedly provide refund of $375 if the car is not sold in 90 days.
However, looking over the contact, there might be issue in getting that 375 back. I have a bad feeling about this, and I think in the end I'll end up $500 short. I will post my findings later, hopefully it will help someone else to make a better decision in the future.

Here is thier agreement:

ONLINE CAR ACQUIRE AGREEMENT

Subject to the terms of this Agreement, CarAcquire, will provide online vehicle marketing services to you, the paid customer, as described below:

1. Services. CarAcquire will advertise your vehicle (the “Vehicle”) on
www.CarAcquire.com (the “Site”), which will be connected to CarAcquire network of websites and accessible on major search engines (the “Services”).

2. Duration. The date of this Agreement will be the date on which your payment to CarAcquire for the Services is authorized and received (the “Contract Date”). CarAcquire will profile the Vehicle for 90 days following the Contract Date. Every reference to “day” or “days” in this Agreement is to calendar days.

3. Profiling Fee. The fee for the Services will be $374.99 USD (the “Profiling Fee”).

4. Refund Option Fee. In addition to the Services, CarAcquire offers the “Refund Option Guarantee” for an additional cost of $124.95 USD, which will ensure that the Profiling Fee is risk-free, subject to this Agreement If the Vehicle is not sold at the end of the 90-day period, CarAcquire will refund your Profiling Fee, provided the following additional conditions are met: Discounts may have applied to either fee, per your invoice and verification agreement. If the “Refund Option Guarantee” is not purchased or payment is declined then a refund will not be issued. The “Refund Option Guarantee” must be purchased no later 14 calendar days after original purchase.

•The Vehicle must still be for sale, and unsold, as of the date that you submit your completed Refund Request Form to CarAcquire, and the Vehicle’s title must be in your name or in the name of a lien holder on your behalf;

•You must have logged on to the Site within 10 days of the Contract Date and completed the registration process, including listing the VIN number of the Vehicle, by using a user name and password that will be sent to you following payment and processing;

•You must have uploaded 1 picture to the Site within 14 days of the Contract Date;

•Your listing on the Site must be active every day from the date of listing until the end of the 90-day period; and

•You must provide, CarAcquire, written proof of ownership of the Vehicle from your state or provincial department of motor vehicles. This can be a copy of your current insurance, title of ownership, or paper work from your local DMV showing you are still in possession of your vehicle. Please contact CarAcquire if you have questions.

Refund requests must be sent to CarAcquire via certified mail within seven days following the 90-day period. Requests will not be accepted via email, fax, or telephone. Requests received through postal mail that do not have courier tracking on them are not guaranteed to be received and are ineligible.

The Refund Request Form must be notarized and include a statement showing that the Vehicle is still in your possession and has not been sold or traded. If title is not available, provide an official mailed document from lien/title holder stating that the title of the Vehicle remains in the original Seller's name from time of placed advertisement. CarAcquire has complete discretion to determine whether the requirements for the Guarantee have been met.

5. Itemization of Purchase Price. The purchase price has been included in the enclosed receipt that you have received to your email. If you do not receive this, it is your responsibility to request a new copy.

6. Statement of Payment. The Purchase Price is payable in full on the Contract Date by providing us with your credit card information either over the telephone or through the Site.

7. Contact Us
Telephone: 1-877-694-3919
Email: support@CarAcquire.com
Mailing Address: 1837 S. Nevada Avenue #253 Colorado Springs, CO 80905-2516

8. Consent. Your consent to this Agreement will be confirmed by you authorizing payment for the Services and, if applicable, the CarAcquire Refund Option Guarantee.

9. General Terms and Conditions. The
General Terms and Conditions sent along with this Agreement apply to any use of the Site and are hereby incorporated into this Agreement.

10. Cancellation. CarAcquire does not allow cancellation out of our 90 day listing period. CarAcquire requires 90 days in order to fulfill our agreement to you the customer.

11. Sale of your vehicle. Once the vehicle is sold let us know by phone, email or fax, so that we can cease advertising of your vehicle. Once the vehicle has been sold CarAcquire does not issue a refund of your purchase.
Jan 22, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I'm in a similar situation. Posted my ad on autotrader 3 weeks back and they called me to offer their service. I ignored them at first but they called me back few days later. I was hesitant, but the phrase that interested me was that the guy told me he already had financially approved clients who were looking for my car type, and they needed my car to fill their inventory. He was expecting a "quick sale".

I never pay credit card over phone but I decided to take a risk that time and just dispute it later if I had to.

Anyways, after signing up I'm able to log into their website with the loginID and password that they emailed me. They had already copied over my autotrader ad and photos, but I'm able to make changes. After I make the changes, I do see my ad appearing in places such as oodle Facebook Marketplace.

2 and a half weeks later I still haven't received calls from any buyers. I called in to caracquire twice to get an update and the agent gives me stats on many clients have been interested in my car and that he expects it to sell very soon.

One thing that they lied to me about was the "deposit". They told me the initial $500 was only a deposit and I'd get it back when the car sells. It turns out that they basically just build it into the price of my car. So if I call to change my asking price, they just tag on $500.

I haven't been able to find any reviews on caracquire apart from these 2 links:
http://www.bbb.org/southern-colorado/bu ... o-87346848
http://www.justanswer.com/fraud-examine ... -scam.html

If they don't sell my car soon I'm going to have to open a dispute to try get my money back. The only reason I'm not doing this yet is because they supposedly work with potential buyers who have no credit or bad credit and get them financing, so I'm able to set a higher asking price than through a private sale.
Jan 22, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Officially opened MasterCard dispute with them today. Wish me luck.

If anybody else got scammed I'll be happy to share information about this unpleasant experience.
Mar 14, 2012
9 posts
NEPEAN
please do continue, i spoke directly with the manager and I was not even told there were a contract involved I was just told I get 100% money back. I asked him a million questions, I even asked if I called take time to think about it but he said he will have to move on to other listings because the customers are searching for the same car and he can get it somewhere else. My scam senses told me not to, but he had also told me his buyers are going to contact me on monday or tuesday or between the next 10 days.
Mar 14, 2012
9 posts
NEPEAN
I cant believe we gave money to a company that has supposedly has been "doing this for seven years" that nobody has ever even heard of. I'm scared that they might take more money then they say they will.
Apr 4, 2012
1 posts
LAVAL
I had a car listed with this company twice, the first time I listed was probably about a year ago and it took them 5 weeks to have it sold which I didn't mind since they got me 2k more than I was being offered on craigslist the second car I listed with them was more recent about 4 months ago and unfortunately wasn't able to sell it within their 90 day term and when I contacted them for a refund they were more than helpful with the request for a refund and walked me through the steps on getting my money back. They also said it would take 6-8 weeks for a refund and my refund arrived within 4weeks.

I would definately use them again in the future for the next car I need to sell since they are good with their word and their advertising. I say if you have a problem with your ad just call them and talk to a customer service agent I'm sure you too will get the help you need.
Jan 22, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Michaellee is suspiciously affiliated with caracquire. I've seen it before, these caracquire people creating new accounts on yahoo answers or forums to post fake testimonies. Beware.
Jan 22, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Why else would somebody arrive at this niche forum thread and create a brand new RFD account JUST for praising caracquire? Just think about it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7589 posts
1045 upvotes
GTA
jamesl0302 wrote: Why else would somebody arrive at this niche forum thread and create a brand new RFD account JUST for praising caracquire? Just think about it.
Yes, and most on RFD recognize that...it just amazes us that the posters don't realize it. Those type of posts do more harm than good as the assumption is that there are no legitimate people with good experiences so a company affiliate creates a new account to shill for the company.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2959 posts
629 upvotes
Ancaster
The rip-off report web site is advising that "caracquire.com" along with a multitude of other web site is owned by Chris and Danielle Seurs/Saurs/Sours (depending on the day of the week) of Chicago Illinois & is most definitely a scammeroni.

To quote the web site....."If you are approached about purchasing one of these, it is a fraud in progress and your money will be stolen if you follow through with the transaction."

http://www.ripoffreport.com/on-line-bus ... -5xm4f.htm

http://www.justanswer.com/fraud-examine ... -scam.html

http://stuffgate.com/caracquire.com

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126573
Apr 11, 2012
1 posts
WINDSOR
I was trying to sell my car on kijiji and caracquire called me next day and offered me a price to buy my car. They have also promised that within next 5 days someone will come and get my vehicle. Guess what it's been 60 days no one showed up. Not only that they said for refund they will send me a cheque instead of returning money to my credit card. So i have talked to VISA to make sure that car acquire will be responsible for money back but since they suppose to send you check instead VISA cant open a dispute case against them.

I have called car acquire several times and same problem. Person that are resposible to sell my vehicle is not even contacting me after i have been trying several times. Total rip off. BEWARE guys. Let's complain against them all together so we can get our issue resolved. ONLY way to get these hard working money back from these multi million dollar scammers is team work. If we all raise our voice together and complain to right place this issue might will be resolved. Waiting for your reply guys.
Apr 14, 2012
1 posts
KINGSTON
I was contacted from AUTO TRADER and like a fool was convinced they had a buyer and gave them my credit card, my contract just expired and have sent documentation for a refund , which they claim can take up to 6wks, but i fear i will never see it. If i do recieve it i will post it here. I never recieved even one offer or request to show car, so i think it is a scam. The courier company note the address is just a mail box, not a good sign. SO BEWARE.
Apr 14, 2012
1 posts
Waterloo, Ontario
1313131 wrote: I was contacted from AUTO TRADER and like a fool was convinced they had a buyer and gave them my credit card, my contract just expired and have sent documentation for a refund , which they claim can take up to 6wks, but i fear i will never see it. If i do recieve it i will post it here. I never recieved even one offer or request to show car, so i think it is a scam. The courier company note the address is just a mail box, not a good sign. SO BEWARE.

Just to follow up on this - to squash the uncertainty. Car Acquire is not entirely a scam, despite the appearance... Im sure that quite a few cars actually do get sold via; but it almost certainly is not worth your money. What they're doing i.e. "providing you a listing and promotion service" which is almost-entirely or "mostly" refundable. But alas, entirely legal. The fact that you have to fight hard and be persistent to get your refund... well that's where the shady but purposeful graft comes in. Amazing how much interest accrues daily on say 10,000 x $500 held refunds. These guys make their money not from actual car sales, but from holding your refundable deposit for up to 6 weeks. Not only that, but I'd imagine the % of people who - after a few weeks of their listing expiring - resign themselves to never seeing it again, or too embarrassed ("i've been scammed") to pursue the refund is actually quite high. (if you read up on other advance-fee scams like the Nigerian 419 scams, the police figure that the vast majority of victims are too embarrassed to even report it)

So technically legal. Kinda shady. Worth it: if you can't be bothered to create logins and listings in any of the free auto listing services (ebay, autotrader, kijiji etc.), then sure. But in any listing service, free or not.. if your car isn't selling, then there's something wrong with your listing/car. Price too high, spring the $100 to get it detailed (always worth it). If the price is right, then no car listing on those 3 sites should go unresponded for more than a week.

My current car up for sale: yes, I posted on Autotrader and within a day I had Car Acquire phoning. From the pitch it sounded fishy and I declined.
1) they called me
2) up front payment required
3) questionable guarantee of a sale
4) no physical office in US or Canada (you can check this out for yourself on Google Maps - the mailing address for Car Acquire in the US is a Mail Boxes Etc. outlet in Florida). The lack of a physical presence does not by itself mean its not legit, however it does imply that they are averse to having upset customers showing up in person and demanding their refunds on the spot.

My previous car was a leased vehicle and there are several "similar" services for that (I listed with Lease Busters). The difference though is that 1) I had to research and contact them 2) there is a different niche market for short term and end of lease car sales 3) physical office presence. I had offers within a week via that service, so I'd say the $400 listing fee with Lease Busters was worth it.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone (not a dealer - a single car seller/buyer) who actually has had a successful sale or purchase via Car Acquire or any similar service.
Apr 20, 2012
2 posts
WADENA
I also posted an add on Kijiji and Autotrader and was contacted just hours after posting the add. Decided to ask "him" some questions! I told him that phone fraud was very common, so I wanted to make sure this was not a fraud. He was very accommodating. He told me he represented Car Aquire ( I had him spell it) and he was calling from Toronto. He re-assured me they had offices all over Canada and in every province. I asked him where the offices were in Saskatchewan, and he stated that he did not have the list in front of him. I told him I would wait, but then he would have to switch data-bases and he may loose my information? So, I asked him to pick any City in Saskatchewan, maybe one of the larger ones, as they likely would have offices for Car Aquire. He could not give me the name of any city in Saskatchewan. I also told him that they must be new because the call display did not show any name or any number from where he was calling, to which he started to respond that they were in new offices, or something was with the phones ( I was distracted because I was trying to contain my laughter), I made sure and got it in twice "How much is this going to cost me?" and his response was nothing as they got paid when I got paid. I knew there was more and clarified the question with do I have to put any money up? That is when he told me about the management/administration fees. I told him that I recorded his response twice to the questions I asked him about how much? And then I told him that he would get paid when I get paid. Wow, did he start to stumble. The whole experience seemed to take him away from his comfort zone. Never did get past his first question "Describe the condition of your car". I know it is not right to make fun of people, but these artists prey on society. My handle oldcopper1 is because I was a copper for 35 years and had to deal with these bottom feeders who too often take advantage of honest people. Too often we told victims "If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is." And unfortunately, my experience also showed me that very few of you will be successful in getting any money back from these people. I maybe should have hung up on this jerk, but I could not resist. Maybe he can get an honest job.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]My handle oldcopper1 is because I was a copper for 35 years and had to deal with these bottom feeders [/QUOTE]

Sounds very Bugsy Siegel to me :) "You can't arrest me.....Copper!"

Or are you a penny?

Sorry, I've never heard term "Copper" actually used in real life, "Cop" a million times YEAH, Police officer of course, but never "Copper".

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Apr 20, 2012
2 posts
WADENA
Where is uxbridge, North of Stouffville? My point was "don't get caught by these scams". And oldcopper1 sounded better to me than oldcop1, it's been years since I heard anyone refer to a penny as a copper. 4165 posts? Do you work for Car Aquire?
May 7, 2012
4 posts
STE ROSE DU LAC
I think I have got suckered into this scam, they made it sound so great that I bought into it. I had my truck for sale and the same sales pitch happened to me.I had sold my truck locally within 2 weeks and they had nothing to do with it. So I sent my request for refund with it being registered so I know they receive it. Its has been 10 weeks now and I have no rebate from them.I looked into where the mail is, it ended up in New York. It did make it to them,and now I am looking at how it ended up in New York. I have an investigation going on with this and hope to have an answer about this shortly. I am going to scatter there name all over Kijiji that they are a ripoff.
Mar 7, 2011
3 posts
Mississauga
Michaellee wrote: I had a car listed with this company twice, the first time I listed was probably about a year ago and it took them 5 weeks to have it sold which I didn't mind since they got me 2k more than I was being offered on craigslist the second car I listed with them was more recent about 4 months ago and unfortunately wasn't able to sell it within their 90 day term and when I contacted them for a refund they were more than helpful with the request for a refund and walked me through the steps on getting my money back. They also said it would take 6-8 weeks for a refund and my refund arrived within 4weeks.

I would definately use them again in the future for the next car I need to sell since they are good with their word and their advertising. I say if you have a problem with your ad just call them and talk to a customer service agent I'm sure you too will get the help you need.

So you are marketing for them while the rest of the world is against them. I strongly believe that you are either an employee/partner or are directly related to the company and that is why you are saying what you wrote in your post. Provide me with your name and VIN # and I an guarantee that you haven't sold anything from them.