Automotive

Experience with Caracquire

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2012 2:44 pm
Mar 21, 2009
253 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Really sucks to hear you guys get taken from these crooks, they're not the only ones out there. Car Starz/Stars and My Auto Agent are a few others.

How could you even verify if they are working at selling your car? As long as you have your car ad on kijiji/autotrader and craigslist, there is nothing more they could possibly do for you, in my opinion.

I also got a call from one of the above agencies. I continuously asked what the other sites/publications are that they use, he could not give me one answer. Just kept pitching how they work "closely with other dealers for people looking for your car" and how they "offer financing" for the potential buyer. I told him I would take a look at their website and get back to him, but did not plan to. He called me everyday for almost 4 weeks. (I always missed the call as I would be working.) They eventually gave up.

I do hope, somehow, you are all able to get your money back. :(
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Ome way to verify would be is when you are contacted get a phone number yoy can call back at a later time. Cite that you are driving or on an important business call.

Once you get a callback number, call them back and pose as a buyer, not a seller. Tell them you are interested in buying a car rather than selling it.

If they are legitly in business actively searching for potential buyers as they advertise themselves to be, they would have some kind of response. If they don't then they would stumble as the scope of their script would not encompass responsibly answering queries towards purchasing a vehicle.

Just an idea.
yungstar wrote: Really sucks to hear you guys get taken from these crooks, they're not the only ones out there. Car Starz/Stars and My Auto Agent are a few others.

How could you even verify if they are working at selling your car? As long as you have your car ad on kijiji/autotrader and craigslist, there is nothing more they could possibly do for you, in my opinion.

I also got a call from one of the above agencies. I continuously asked what the other sites/publications are that they use, he could not give me one answer. Just kept pitching how they work "closely with other dealers for people looking for your car" and how they "offer financing" for the potential buyer. I told him I would take a look at their website and get back to him, but did not plan to. He called me everyday for almost 4 weeks. (I always missed the call as I would be working.) They eventually gave up.

I do hope, somehow, you are all able to get your money back. :(
Mar 21, 2009
253 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I hear you, but even then it wouldn't be hard for them to do that when the person is actually calling them asking for a particular vehicle. They'll just search the inventory of cars from people who have paid them already. Shouldn't be hard when they're being called. They're charging for a service where they proactively go out there looking for buyers.

Ironically though I accidentally called the number back multiple times on difference occasions (damn touch screen) but not once did they pick up. The part I found even more funny is that the one guy called back, left a voicemail, claiming he got a call from my number and asking what it was concerning. You'd think after calling me daily for 30 days he'd know who it was, lol.

Bottom line: Avoid at all costs.
May 7, 2012
4 posts
STE ROSE DU LAC
I have sent a complaint to the Anti fraud center, phone buster,I posted on Kijiji about them even contacted them about car aquire.I even have a investigation going on right now about them. Called my credit card company and told them about car aquire. I am about to send a complaint to the BBB, so we will see what happens.
Jun 5, 2012
1 posts
Denver, Colorado
Hang up the phone immediately if these ***** ever call you! They lie, they are pushy and are the most unfriendly company I have ever dealt with. Do not give anyone your credit card number over the phone! And believe me, they will ask for it at the end of your conversation. Save yourself the hassle and just sell the car on your own or trade it in if you don't want to deal with people, but the worst mistake would be giving these xxxxxxxx $500 over the phone only to find out they 'don't actually have a buyer lined up for you'. Even though that is exactly what they say initially.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
7459 posts
1929 upvotes
GTA
1313131 wrote: I was contacted from AUTO TRADER and like a fool was convinced they had a buyer and gave them my credit card, my contract just expired and have sent documentation for a refund , which they claim can take up to 6wks, but i fear i will never see it. If i do recieve it i will post it here. I never recieved even one offer or request to show car, so i think it is a scam. The courier company note the address is just a mail box, not a good sign. SO BEWARE.

FYI... There is not reason WHATSOEVER why they cannot issue an IMMEDIATE refund that would show up on your credit card statement within a week. They are asking for 6 weeks to make sure you can no longer file a chargeback with your credit card company. What you should do is file the chargeback IMMEDIATELY as soon as you're told to wait that long.

As usual, BEWARE of any testimonials from forum newbies. 9 times out of 10 they're company reps trying to cover up their scams. Not the first time, won't be the last.

Be sure to file complaints with Ripoff Report and BBB. Post Google Review about your experience (Google company name). If the company (or owner) is in the U.S., contact the office of Attorney General for that state; in Canada, contact your local MP. Hope this helps and good luck.
Jun 7, 2012
1 posts
Thank you guys.. Your feedback saved my $500. These guys called me today for my Honda Civic and they were being so push. They made a good offer and I was being inclined, when I thought I'll do a quick search. First link jumped out to be this one.. When I told the manager that I need more time to decide, he started being pushy and started raising his voice. I asked him to F***-Off and hung up the phone..

Thanks again to all of you!
Dec 6, 2009
203 posts
10 upvotes
London
Wow I haven't seen a thread where so many NEW users posted good & bad experiences with a company.

Thanks for the warnings next time I go to sell a car I know to stay clear of these crooks.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
Car Acquire called me as well..and before I found this thread, the offer they gave me sounded really good so I ended up giving out my cc info.

Now should I call my bank/credit card company and ask for a chargeback or should i wait?

They said I'd receive a call within the next few days from potential buyers...> :(
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
7459 posts
1929 upvotes
GTA
Crimzaelus wrote: Car Acquire called me as well..and before I found this thread, the offer they gave me sounded really good so I ended up giving out my cc info.

Now should I call my bank/credit card company and ask for a chargeback or should i wait?

They said I'd receive a call within the next few days from potential buyers...> :(

Get in touch with Car Acquire. If they don't refund your credit card within a week, file a chargeback with your bank.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
so i called them and they i need to wait 90 and then fill out a refund form and send it to them.
then they will mail back a cheque.
I wonder if this is legit...should i wait or just call into my visa and tell them to chargeback
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
Tried to get a refund and couldn't so I have to wait until the 90 days is over until I can get send in the refund request form.

They said I would get a "quick sale" but not once did i get any replies or interests through car acquire...never again.. :mad:
Nov 10, 2007
94 posts
6 upvotes
jamesl0302 wrote: Michaellee is suspiciously affiliated with caracquire. I've seen it before, these caracquire people creating new accounts on yahoo answers or forums to post fake testimonies. Beware.
Michaellee = One Post Wonder
Aug 13, 2012
1 posts
KANATA
DON'T USE THESE professional scammers !!!!! ......it's impossible to get your $$$ back.....I signed up and gave them $500 only never to HEAR back once!!!!!......not once did I hear from them!!! .....it's a scam 110% !!!
May 7, 2012
4 posts
STE ROSE DU LAC
Crimzaelus wrote: so i called them and they i need to wait 90 and then fill out a refund form and send it to them.
then they will mail back a cheque.
I wonder if this is legit...should i wait or just call into my visa and tell them to chargeback
If you paid the 500, you will only get back 372 and change back if you are lucky. I got screwed from these crooks. They make it sound like such a great deal, all lies
May 7, 2012
4 posts
STE ROSE DU LAC
So I got a hold of phone buster, card company and the BBB. The BBB looked into it for me and they tried to contact the several times with no response.Then they forward my info to Consumer Protection, just got the letter today and they are looking into them. quick notes from the letter,Car Acquire may have engaged in deceptive acts and practices and in not licensed for telemarketing.Here is the web site of the company www.consumerprotectionbc.ca, send them a complaint about car acquire,you may get somewhere. I hope I do
Aug 31, 2012
1 posts
EDMONTON
mbalgavy wrote: Has anyone heard of caracquire.com? They have contacted me about a car I am selling, can't seem to find any reviews on them. Any experiences?
ya they suck, they continually say they have people waiting to buy your vehicle and nothing ever happens. once they have ur money, they dont put too much effort in. 90 days for me and no sale, tried to get my money back but their refund policy is ridiculous and I think practically unachievable. U can kiss ur 600 dollars good-bye!!!
Jan 22, 2012
45 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jamesl0302 wrote: Officially opened MasterCard dispute with them today. Wish me luck.

If anybody else got scammed I'll be happy to share information about this unpleasant experience.
I GOT MY MONEY BACK.
...through MasterCard dispute. (No, not through car acquire)

Just want to share how I did it, hopefully to help others.

Without getting into too much detail, after a few weeks of signing up with car acquire I basically figured out that it was a scam. Technically, it's not a 100% scam, but they're just charging you an outrageous fee for a simple service (e.g. posting your ad onto FB marketplace), misleading you with a bunch of carefully crafted lies, and pushing you to sign an extremely unfair contract. I was more pissed off at myself for falling for it than actually losing the money.

And so I fought long and hard to get my money back.

I called up my bank's credit card department and told them about it. The rep told me that because I had signed an agreement then technically I would have to wait for the 90 days that I agreed to to let car acquire sell my car first. Then I'd need to file the refund request. THEN, if they didn't refund me (provided that I had met all their contract terms), would they have valid grounds for helping me dispute. Truth is, after about month and a half I had sold my car via some other means. So technically, according to the car acquire agreement, they did not have to refund me. But I was not going to let that happen.

After 90 days, I called up my bank again and told them I had filed the refund request etc. I also pointed out a technicality flaw in the car acquire agreement that also helped. Regarding my car already sold, I just didn't mention it. Just played dumb on that one. Truth is, the bank's credit card dispute agency is not going to launch a full force police investigation. Just tell them a convincing-enough story. They ended up issuing me "temporary credit chargeback".

And now here comes the important part. After issuing you the temporary credit, the bank will also contact the merchant to verify your claims. And because our merchant, car acquire, does not really have a real postal address where you can reach them at, they will never receive that verification requests from the bank. According to the credit card terms, if the merchant doesn't speak up to the dispute within 3 months, the temporary credit becomes permanent.

My 3 months has just passed, and so I have officially been refunded the full amount that I paid to car acquire. (LESS the cost of sending registered mail to my bank with all my supporting documents.)

If anyone needs help let me know.

I'm also proud that this thread is now 3rd on google results for "car acquire". When I tried the same search term 8 months ago, there was nothing to be found.
Nov 8, 2012
1 posts
WATERLOO
Thanks to jamesl0302 I got my money credited from my bank!!!!

I had the same experience from everyone here... here's the coles notes:

Posted my car on Kijiji
CarAquire Calls - june 21 2012
Says my car should be sold in 2 weeks (Im desperate as I was scheduled to leave the country for work for a few months)
SUCKERED into the $500USD = $595CDN on my CC
Call back within 20 mins talk to john (manager) beg, plead, ask for my money back
Told must wait 90 days
Called Scotia Visa - Told must wait 90 days as well
Waited 85 days
Called to prep for refund - talked with Customer service who wouldnt give me her name, told me to fill out refund form

***WATCH IT *** -- you have to meet all criteria I was told -- Which is Null now since I got my refund from ScotiaBank Visa

Must fill out and send back mail WITHIN 7 CALENDAR days!!
Notartized (cost me $60)
Priority mail cuz I wanted a signature ($30)
Ministry of Transpo record that car is in your name (I renewed my license plate just to prove that I had the car in my name recently)
postdated within 7 days of ad expiry

Finished above Sept 19 - Ad expired -- Sept 25 Sent above to CarAquire via post dated carrier

Waited till tracking number said it was delivered with signature
Called again to CarAquire - Told the Rufnd Dept is a separate dept and nothing they can do
Called ScotiaBank opened Dispute - 060530504 - 18005040716 ext 69760

Talked with Dillion - opened up my claim - said send in all my evidence via email - I Did
Called today - Spoke with Takouhie - She said shes going to change the dispute to "dispute as services not rendered"
immediate credit to my account $595
CARAquires has 35 days to represent, if no representation in 35 days, the credit stays

Thanks to jamesl0302 who inspired me when I had lost hope... I've been monitoring this thread and glad its #3.. I hope we can get it to #1 on top of CarAquires website listing so others can be saved from our hardships!